The Student Room Group

What can I do with a xxxxxxx degree?

Before you start this thread there are a few websites which will help answer this question.

The best site is http://www.prospects.ac.uk the careers site run by ALL university careers services

Find out which options are available with you subject: here (click on the subject then on "jobs related to your degree" and "main areas of employment" for details)

Find out what graduates in your subject areas do: click here

Find out what graduate jobs available for your subject pay: click here

There is information about specific graduate employers: here

And the site also contains a whole bunch of information about further study either taught (masters) or research (PhD/doctorate).

If anyone has any other links please list them below:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
PQ
Before you start this thread there are a few websites which will help answer this question.

The best site is http://www.prospects.ac.uk the careers site run by ALL university careers services

Find out which options are available with you subject: here (click on the subject then on "jobs related to your degree" and "main areas of employment" for details)

And the site also contains a whole bunch of information about further study either taught (masters) or research (PhD/doctorate).

That's really helpful information for people who often start very similar threads. Perhaps it should be made into a sticky :smile:
Nikki J S
That's really helpful information for people who often start very similar threads. Perhaps it should be made into a sticky :smile:

already done:smile:
Reply 3
PQ
already done:smile:

Oops, I would have seen that had I been looking properly :redface: Thanks anyway :smile:
It's also important to note that the vast majority of graduate jobs welcome applicants from any degree background, and here the university you attend is generally more important than what course you do. Though generally this is for mainstream, 'traditional' subjects (History, English, Psychology, Classics, Geography, Biology etc) rather than 'new', vocational subjects (Media, Sport Science etc). So your degree subject doesn't matter so much, but you need to show a clear interest in whatever sector you want to go into, through work experience, background knowledge etc.
Reply 5
^^^^ I agree. Having watched dozens of mates get out there and apply for jobs, very very few ask for a specific discipline; what's more important is the class of degree you've got!

For those just applying for a degree, my best advice if you're not sure what career you want would be to go for the traditional subject YOU ENJOY THE MOST. You'll do better at something you WANT to do! Then once you've got that 2:I, you'll be able to apply to virtually anyone.

Opens the doors, doesn't usher your through them, wipe off your lapels, and stick the nameplate on your door for you :wink:
Reply 6
Perhaps I should refer you to an article: :biggrin:

http://www.studential.com/articles/right_subject.htm
Reply 7
Is a science degree, arts degree or maths degree better, which involves greater transferable skills?
Reply 8
-EL-
Is a science degree, arts degree or maths degree better, which involves greater transferable skills?

Do you want to do science, art or maths?
Reply 9
Which degree is most respectable? I guess I am inclined towards maths but arts is interesting also.
Reply 10
-EL-
Which degree is most respectable? I guess I am inclined towards maths but arts is interesting also.

it depends what industry you want to go into, but I'd say you can't go too far wrong with Maths.
Reply 11
I would have to say law....
Reply 12
-EL-

Don't go for a degree or university just because it is more respectable, it sounds a little cliche but go for something you actually will enjoy, you will be doing it for a minimum of three years if you want something out of it :smile: .
yeh...that just wasn't funny.
Reply 14
PQ

i agree.. this info is veyr helpful.. it should be stickied.
thanks PQ!
Reply 15
MissSurfer
yeh...that just wasn't funny.

i thought it was quite funny :smile:
not laugh out loud hilarious, more mildly amusing...
Reply 16
Some degrees could lead to multiple jobs etc !
Reply 17
any ideas abuot options with a straight maths degree? People say its useless, but i'nm not so sure:smile:

pk
Reply 18
im not too sure about this, but i here u can go into computer science and law. u may need conversion courses tho
Reply 19
Phil23
any ideas abuot options with a straight maths degree? People say its useless, but i'nm not so sure:smile:

pk

Basically anything that doesn't require a specific degree.

So that's banking, software engineering, management consultancy, marketing and a bunch of other things - maths is one of the most employable degrees around.

Latest

Trending

Trending