Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you describe colours to a blind person?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, say a person has been blind all their life, how do you describe the colour of something? You can't go "it's bluey-green" because they don't know what that is. Imagine a world without colour, how would you envisage objects etc?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im supposed to be colour blind because i couldnt make out some of the objects in them stupid pictures made of up lots of coloured dots :indiff:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need to describe the colour of something to a blind person?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if they can think in colour...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its impossible maybe except black! Tell them its the colour you can see now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you describe sound to a deaf person? I don't think its possible unless they have experience sound/sight before. Having said that maybe the brain has some in-built idea of what colour is?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Blind people blind all their life, don't need sight and colours. They have auditory dreams.

I know it's just a stupid hypothetical question, though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read a novel that addressed this once.

They used the other senses to describe the colours

eg,

green is the sound of tree's leaves, smells like freshly cut grass, tastes like cucumber, and feels like moss.

I started thinking about this.

Brown; tastes like chocolate, feels like the bark on a tree, is the sound of a sparrow's call, and smells like... what's brown and smells very definite?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yelolow = feeling of happy

Blue = the taste of blue slushie. That is exactly what blue would taste like if it was a flavour

Red = Pain

Black = Death

etc
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Katy)

Blue = the taste of blue slushie. That is exactly what blue would taste like if it was a flavour

Red = Pain

Black = Death

etc
    :shifty:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You would have to do it by the feelings the colour gave you,
    But not like black=death thats just stupid.

Black is easy anyways, its all you can see at the moment

White would also be easy as its the abscense of black.

Other colours would be abit more tricky and would take alot of work for the blind person to get if possible, Red you could use hot, warm, firey, burning i'm sure eventually with the right feeling a blind person could imagine a colour but it could take hours or even days and you wouldn't know if the colour they were imagining was excatley the colour you were after.

But it certainly is possible
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Katy)

Red = Pain

Black = Death

etc
    How does yellow = the feeling of happy.
    I've never felt happy when ive seen the colour yellow. Unless you are meaning when you see the sun. but even so what a rubbish description.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato123)
    :shifty:
    ... Sorry. Obviously what I meant was

Black = Liquorice :yep:

(Original post by 2nd2god)
    How does yellow = the feeling of happy.
    I've never felt happy when ive seen the colour yellow. Unless you are meaning when you see the sun. but even so what a rubbish description.
    Thats my opinion. Perhaps yellow makes me happy. You describe it better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them the frequency of the light. They can figure it out from that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well whatever you do, don't use the word beautiful when describing your colours.
    Trust me, awkward silences are hard to come by and when they do, it ain't pretty.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Red is about 700nm, Blue is about 450nm.

In all seriousness, if I had to explain colour to a blind person, I'd describe it scientifically. I don't see how else I could do it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, a blind person will read this thread and enlighten us.
    • 10 followers

I wouldn't, it'd just make them sad.
    • 4 followers

When I was younger I always assumed I'd be able to describe black and that would be it but now I'm not sure I could even do that. They won't necessarily be seeing black when they close their eyes because that black is probably the inside of our eyelids.

Hmmm. :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You couldn't accurately describe them if they were fully blind but you could describe the feelings they give you and their brain would make their own associations to them. Like "red is a strong colour, it shows danger, warning, it is the colour of the blood that runs through your veins, it shows life. Blue can be a sad colour but it's also the colour of the sky and the oceans and sea water." etc etc If you describe them as I said I think they can make their own associations to them to understand them.

But to a person that's been blind since birth, colour doesn't mean anything because they can't see them. Colour is only of importance to people that can see them.
Updated: January 18, 2010
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.