The Student Room Group

Please help!

Okay, I'll make this brief. I'm into a sixth form that I really don't like. Their results aren't good, the atmosphere isn't great and everyone gets admitted there (more or less). My problem is, that the sixth form I desire called up today saying I could have a place if I'm willing to change my options around. This means not taking chemistry and not taking either biology or art. So I only have 2 subjects I initially chose.

Obviously, it sounds like a 'no-brainer'- most people would still go to the other sixth form regardless of it being a bad school. The thing is, I just wouldn't feel happy there for 2 years.

Also, I really don't know what I'll do at university anyway, so maybe dropping those 2 subjects is for the better (but I don't know). I barely even know what I enjoy. I ask myself- 'do I enjoy science, or is it because I'm good at it?'.

Instead of the two subjects I miss out on, I could take lit (didn't enjoy it at GCSE, but got an A*), psychology (sounds interesting, but didn't take it at GCSE) or Economics (is it worth doing business AND this?).

I'd be very grateful for some advice on this. It's my main chance at getting into the sixth form I've always wanted and I don't want to make any mistakes here. To let you know, maths and physics are all full.
Reply 1
....if you want to switich schools then switch
Reply 2
I know you might have a harder time at the current 6th form but you don't want to be attending a sixth form doing less respected subjects. I would rather stick it out at the ****ter 6th form but that's just me.
I guess it's cos you want a better chance of higher grades which is fine, however If you want to go to the other 6th form to be more happier socially I just think that that reason will not be the best to achieving good grades. Maybe the 6th form won't be that bad when you start..do you have mates there? Can you sle teach yourself a little if the teaching is bad?

But if you really want to move then move, as you can't 'suffer' for two years:p: I guess the reason why Im suggesting stick it out is cos bio and chem are respected and I wouldn't want to do a subject that isn't.

I don't think I'm making sense at all this time at night:o: but I hope you understand a little!
Reply 3
This is personal completely - I know I'd go to the sixth form I don't really like and do the subjects I want. You need to have a real interest in what you take, and perhaps going there would work to your advantage (if you do well, that is) since its results aren't brilliant.

Your perseverence in the circumstances would be noted. But, if you think it'd be difficult and would rather have the good teaching (some people prefer to learn in that environment), then you know what's best for you. The thing is, even if you got an A* in a subject, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll enjoy the subject at A level - the syllabus/style of teaching can be different, not to mention you pretty much need to have an interest in the subjects you're doing in order to enjoy them. Do you find science interesting? You need to enjoy them - just being good at a subject doesn't help as much at A level, because you go into things in much more depth than GCSE.

Maths & Physics are both very respected subjects, and if you take them you show your capabilities in that sort of field. I know you have no idea right now what you want to do, but taking a wide array of academic subjects would show your abilities. I wouldn't advise both Business and Economics - just Economics, I'd say. I can really only advise following your instincts as well, but don't make a rash decision.

Latest