The Student Room Group

French at University.Help :(

I'm thinking about doing a French degree at Uni.
My options areee...
Cardiff
Bristol
Southampton?
Exeter?
Birmingham?

Not sure yet.I don't want to go too far away from home (I live in the Swansea Valleys) but still want to go to a good university.

Do I need any sort of relevant work experience?:confused:

My As grades were ABBB (psychol,biol,chem and french)
Would the B in french hinder my chances of getting into cardiff as they want ABC (A in French)How much do university's pay attention to predicted grades also?

Thank you:smile:
I'd recommend Southampton out of those; they're very good for languages. Bristol for French, too.

B shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're predicted an A, but Bristol might get picky.
Reply 2
I looked at Birmingham University - I really liked their MFL department. Not sure if they'd want an A in French or not though. I applied for a degree in French and Hispanic Studies and got an offer of ABB (A being in one of the languages).

I agree, Bristol will probably be the most picky, but Exeter might be fussy too as they Uni is becoming more and more popular.
I'd go for Cardiff or Southampton as I've heard good things about them =]

Bristol are meant to be very picky and err... yeah - not too nice from what I've heard. I got an offer from Exeter to do a modern language course and was very excited to go and see the place... can't deny that I felt uncomfortable there - but it's in such a sunny part of the UK =] and a nice place.

I'd usggest applying for Bath - it's not too far away from Swansea and it's really pretty and the courses look good. May be picky about grades though :s-smilie:
I applied to Cardiff, Bristol and Birmingham out of your choices. I think Birmingham will be fine as I think the standard offer for French is BBC so I can't see them expecting an A at AS (you never know though). Bristol might want an A though my offer was BBB i think so same as Birmingham should apply. Cardiff asked for an A in French at A2 i think though, so you'd probably need to be predicted an A.
I don't have an opinion on any of the unis you have listed. :indiff:

Spoiler

Reply 6
i applied for bristol and exeter out of your choices, and i think that it may be exeter rather than cardiff that you may have more problems with. that saying, its a brilliant place (i chose it as my insurance) and my offer was BBB.
i also agree with the person above that said Bath, although check the course content, its much more international-relations-ey than the others

Latest

Trending

Trending