The Student Room Group

Should I take the triple science GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I did dual science, and definitely don't regret it. the thought of 12 periods of science a week makes me groan. I find science really, really interesting but the stuff they taught at my school and the way they taught it was horrific, horrific! GCSE science is generally a bit of a snooze. also, no biology coursework. hurrah.

I don't think it will affect your future at all, even if you want to do science A-Levels, you can still do them with dual award. In my case though, doing dual award freed me up to choose an extra humanties GCSE, so I wasn't "losing out" on a qualification.
jelly1000

Actually, it depends on what the school has decided as to whether the modules are multiple choice or not. I didn't do further science, but people who did had 1 extra written paper. [And this is with AQA btw]. But if you enjoy science, no matter what your thinking of doing in the future, go ahead and do the further science.

Aww you're now making me contradict my earlier post. :frown:

I forgot you can do a written paper for unit 1, and here comes the contradiction:

I'd have rathered a written paper, because the multiple choice questions were ****! There were loads where two answers could have been correct (according to how I had been taught). It took me 3 resits to get A*A*A in those modules!

I was just trying to persuade the OP to do it. It's not hard at all!
yeah i did it and it sets you up nicely for AS
I've never heard of triple science GCSE. I'd have loved to do it
Reply 24
I am doing Triple Science at the moment and although the extra lessons are a killer I do feel it is worth taking - even if your not in any way scientifically inclined. As long as you stay ontop of you work I don't feel that it's significently different workload wise to Double Science (I havent started the extra modules yet though, haha!). As I enjoy being organised taking modules the 'Triple Science way', e.g. 3 Physics modules together as opposed to 1 module from each science, much easier to revise for. Although OCR 21st Century Science is a really bad exam board to do it with!
It's hardly anymore work, for OCR it's just 3 more units (24 compared to 21 in double) and some more papers. Also the papers are easier in a way because you sit all the chemistry's in one paper etc where as with double in OCR you don't.
Reply 26
Science is the easiest thing EVER! Not one time has something challenged me (Apart from P1B but that was mainly because I learnt way above the level it was at :biggrin:)
Reply 27
seriously go for it! not only 3 seperate sciences but it's also 3 easy A*s! I did triple science last year and got 3A*s for science. It's really easy all you have to do is get really good coursework marks and you're guaranteed an A/A*
I'd go for it. We did triple science in the same time as everyone else did double. Everyone had a 1 hour lesson everyday though so this might be more than normal, I don't know. But anyway I got A A B (the B was in Physics and our teacher was so awful I taught myself the syllabus lol), so I'd say it's definitely do-able.
Go for it :smile: I'm finishing the last of my triple science at the moment and I've loved it. I understand a lot of the dual award more because of what we learned in triple and I think it's a lot more fun :smile:
I am biased since I love science and am taking it next year but it's really good and not much harder x
I'm doing it now (y11).

Honest opinion? It is hard, the last (super long!) unit is quite difficult for all the sciences. I'm supposedly really good at science (A*s) but even though I revised A LOT for the physics triple science (P7 + ideas in context) paper, it was mega hard. Same for Chemistry. Biology was okay, but there is so much vocab and stuff to learn. They can all be interesting, but they are VERY time consuming.

I would say that if you don't want to do science at a level, then don't do it. Focus on your other subjects. Because if I'd done double, I would almost certainly have got A*s but with triple...people get As/Bs even though they're really clever.

If you're really interested in science, go for it. It does prepare you in a way for A level. Otherwise, don't. Really.
Reply 31
Indeed.
I don't think it's worth it, I was offered five GCSEs in Science, but still stuck with double science. You only need double for AS Levels, and good grades in two GCSEs will be better than alright grades in more.

True, but out of my five GCSEs in science, in double i got A/A*

In triple im predicted A*/A*/A* with coursework of 57/58/57 (out of 60) in the three sciences.

Its all about if you put the work in, its not about 2 good grades or 5 ok grades, its about 5 solid grades, that you could easily get an A or A* with work.
Reply 32
ZeddyZZ
Hi,

Currently at my school I have been given a chance to do Triple Science. What I wanted to know is, is it worth taking it and is there any point. I'm not sure if it's really worth it since I don't want to become a GP or a doctor. I'm still doing my double science GCSE course but my teacher has given me chance to do triple science aswell. Is it more work and more hassle? Will it benefit me in the future?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

DO IT! it was the best option i took
Reply 33
ZeddyZZ, what did you decide to do? Are you happy with that decision now that you taken your GCSEs? How did you do on your GCSEs?
Reply 34
Yes, I finished all my sciences, today was my final one and I can def tell you triple science is waaaay better than the other sciences! I am glad I picked it, even though todays exam I don't think I did aswell as I have done in other ones (I hope I am wrong) but yep do it, science was def my favourite subject! lool :smile:
Do it, especially since you are in AQA. :yep:
Reply 36
If you do take triple science just be prepared to take more tests in science but if you like sceince then go ahead
Reply 37
Original post by ZeddyZZ
Hi,

Currently at my school I have been given a chance to do Triple Science. What I wanted to know is, is it worth taking it and is there any point. I'm not sure if it's really worth it since I don't want to become a GP or a doctor. I'm still doing my double science GCSE course but my teacher has given me chance to do triple science aswell. Is it more work and more hassle? Will it benefit me in the future?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

i think you should do it because it gives an wide range of sciences and it is really enjoyable just act good soz if this doesnt help you
If you feel confident, then you should...it's a great opportunity for an extra GCSE!:smile: If you struggle in the first few weeks you can ask to just do double again(I do triple, but a couple of my friends moved from triple to double during the first month because they found it too hard).
If you enjoy it and have a talent for it (which you obviously do if you've been offered the chance to do it) then I would say go for it!! I'm on Edexcel and to be honest it's not that much extra work to what the Double Science class have been doing - it's just all a bit more condensed as I would say you get less time to learn it, but if you start revision early enough you'll be fine!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest