The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Roobagnall
Its a shame about your D in music... if you wanted, couldnt you resit that??

Music never was my thing, I wanted to do history, but the two languages and humanities would've clashed, so I was forced to either do Dance or Music.

I actually couldn't compose at all, as a result went into the exam with about an E.
tolovemaths
Music never was my thing, I wanted to do history, but the two languages and humanities would've clashed, so I was forced to either do Dance or Music.

I actually couldn't compose at all, as a result went into the exam with about an E.

Oh rite. Seems dumb they would make you do Music if you didnt have any real interest in it...
Reply 22
It's not the end of the world getting in one subject a D (although it might be if you're a Musician), especially if it's in an unrelated subject like Music.
Reply 23
It does sound like I don't stand much chance.
Reply 24
tolovemaths
It does sound like I don't stand much chance.

Don't be negative. Your GCSEs will only make a very small difference, if you get As at AS, you ought to get an interview, and if you're good; an offer. The judgement isn't one we can make - you haven't posted anything to demonstrate that you are or aren't good I'm afraid. Don't let your GCSEs put you off though.
Reply 25
I think people will back me up when I say that if you do well in your STEP Paper (say top 20%), get predicted all As in your A-Levels, and impress in your interview, they won't take your less than average Cambridge Student GCSEs into account.
Reply 26
Noble.
I think people will back me up when I say that if you do well in your STEP Paper (say top 20%), get predicted all As in your A-Levels, and impress in your interview, they won't take your less than average Cambridge Student GCSEs into account.

Except that you generally do STEP after their decision is made and almost everyone who's made an offer gets predicted straight As and stuff. Agreed on the interview thing though.
Reply 27
Swayum
Except that you generally do STEP after their decision is made and almost everyone who's made an offer gets predicted straight As and stuff. Agreed on the interview thing though.

Oh right, so generally what's the point of STEP if it's taken after the University has made their decision about who to make offers to?
Reply 28
Noble.
Oh right, so generally what's the point of STEP if it's taken after the University has made their decision about who to make offers to?

If you've applied for Cambridge Maths, AAA is the EASY part of your offer. The hard part is passing STEP II and III with high grades, which is included in your conditional offer. It looks good as well though for other universities.
Noble.

The point is that it is included in the offer - to test your mathematical thinking in a way that A-level (or equivalent) maths does relatively badly?
Reply 30
So if someone does badly in the STEP Papers, I assume that means they loose their place, but then do they offer that place to someone else?
Noble.

Like A levels, you mean? :rolleyes:

STEP sorts out the sheep from the goats. Only about 50% of Cambridge applicants who hold offers fulfil the requirements.
Reply 32
Good bloke

STEP sorts out the sheep from the goats. Only about 50% of Cambridge applicants who hold offers fulfil the requirements.

Ah ok, so they're banking on that about 50% of them don't fulfil the requirement, thanks.
Noble.
So if someone does badly in the STEP Papers, I assume that means they loose their place, but then do they offer that place to someone else?

They over-issue offers quite heavily, as there is always a quite significant percentage missing the STEP requirements in the offer. If they have not filled all places with people making their offers they'll start picking people narrowly missing the offers - just like any other university which hasn't filled the course completely (the difference being that Cambridge only look on the people whom they have given an offer in the first place).
Reply 34
Good bloke

Which is superior? :confused:
yusufu

Whichever is associated with passing the STEPs.
Reply 36
gcse's are nice but by no means essential your school easily makes up for your slighlty below average grades, An academic secretary mentioned to me that most courses at cam now get significantly more applicants with 8A* or above than there are places on the course, but obviously this is not how they decide place i have met people with 1-11 A*'s while here!) You should definatley be applying to cambridge, provided you do well on your AS (I would consider dropping bio or chem though as you will want really high maths marks if that is your subject and doing all 3 sciences could be tough, but its up to you and if you think you can handle it go for it)
Reply 37
yusufu

I'm guessing its the goats, since they perhaps follow each other around less :rolleyes:
yusufu

It's a bible thing. Matthew 25:31-46.

All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.
And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.
Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food ...'
Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels ... I was a stranger and you did not take Me in'

So the goats go to hell and the sheep go to heaven.

And looking at what St Augustine said about mathmos

"The good Christian should beware the mathematician and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of hell."

I can conclude that those who pass STEP are the goats.