The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what do u think?
Reply 2
Only the best get in therefore only the best pass out. It's the status you get in the employment world, that you're an Oxbridge graduate.
Apparently they read things there.
i think that imperial is better than at least oxford for some of its science courses - but its the whole reputation theing - saying you have a degree from oxbridge - its just seen as the dogs *******s

best students go there
so education is aimed at best pupils
so the graduates are amoung the most naturally intelligent/ have also covered a lot of work at uni - therefore they are considered the best

(but i dont think they should be considered as a different league than unis like imperial etc - because they are jsut as good for some courses)

ps. plus the tutorial system thing they have there is pretty class
Some of the oldest universities in the world (Oxford is the oldest English language one I believe) so they are very prestigious
Unique tutorial system
Many notable alumni (Cambridge has more nobel prize winners than any other university and Oxford educated like 7 of the last prime ministers excluding Brown)
Usually the only 2 UK universities to be in the top 10 worldwide (although sometimes Imperial, UCL and/or LSE are top 10)
dude, its oxford and cambridge

:bl:
Reply 7
And they're always switching between first and second place in the uk league tables aren't they?
It looks great to put down you have a degree from Oxford or Cambridge. Employers love it.
Reply 9
Because they are the two oldest universities in this country, having long been the establishment (dominating politics and academia) have have had immense power over the centuries.

But, in turth, the gap between them and others is closing. LSE in economics, Durham (plus KCL and UCL) in some of the arts, Imperial in some sciences and engineering. Oxbridge no longer has that same strength and influence it once had.

That may be a little simplistic, and none of those unis listed above deserve to be listed as "OXbridge standard", but the point is there isn't quite as large a gap as some think. Oxbridge will always take the best, they'll always have that name, and their college and tutorial system is fairly unique but there's far more to higher education.

It's not as if they do things differently there (well, ignoring the teaching colleges or tutorial system). They still study, like the rest of us.
Reply 10
gangsta316
Some of the oldest universities in the world (Oxford is the oldest English language one I believe)

English speaking world, you mean?

Well, yes, but then there was no English speaking world outside of these islands until colonisation and the spread of out Empire.
The tutorial/supervision and collegiate systems (though Durham also has this) is probably what separates it from other unis. Also, Oxford and Cambridge students are IIRC supposed to be within the top 0.2% of the population, in terms of intelligence. Though that doesn't apply to every student. It certainly doesn't apply to me :biggrin:

Also, the workload is compressed into shorter terms and (depending on what subject you're studying) the type of work you do is very different :smile:
People have to be elitist about everything, so... lol =]

I don't think EVERYTHING about them is necessarily the best, they may excel in one aspect - but lack in another.
Reply 13
because they are elite and there is nothing we can do about it but I think there are other unis that are pretty close to their reputation such as LSE, Imperial, UCL, Kings, Warwick and Durham.
Reply 14
The_Lonely_Goatherd
The tutorial/supervision and collegiate systems (though Durham also has this):smile:

Colleges, but only as social/pastoral instiutions. Not teaching like Oxbridge.

The_Lonely_Goatherd
Also, the workload is compressed into shorter terms

Although Durham is the same in that respect and it's not pleasent.

It makes the first term far too intensive.
The reason why I chose Oxbridge (as an Oxford fresher now) over other UK unis is quite simple:
1) prestige, esp international reputation.
I'm an international student and I don't necessarily stay in UK after uni so it's better to choose a uni with a big name. Most employers abroad won't even know about Imperial or UCL, etc.

2) Educational value. (Yeah, I'm expecting very challenging work and reasonably better academics to teach. The tutorial system is very tempting. The resources are superb at Oxbridge--the libraries, the academic help I will get, etc.)

3) My peers (I may be biased but generally Oxbridge attract the most brilliant students in the country and also some highly motivated students around the world. It's always nice to be within a competitive academic community.)

4) Societies and Clubs (Oxbridge have outstanding extra-curriclar activies arranged. The only reason I chose Oxford was that I love the Oxford Union and the opportunity to debate against some of the most influential international figures in the world. )

This list goes on and on. I believe if anyone goes to a country outside UK and asks them whether they would choose Oxbridge or other high-quality unis (despite the reducing gap between them), they will all answer the same as I did.
River85
Colleges, but only as social/pastoral instiutions. Not teaching like Oxbridge.

Although Durham is the same in that respect and it's not pleasent.

It makes the first term far too intensive.

It can be quite intense, but I'd rather have the short terms and long holidays :smile:
Reply 17
anniexingyan
Most employers abroad won't even know about Imperial or UCL, etc.

:eek: It's quite refreshing to hear somone say that on TSR.

As most UoL students think their name is a real heavyweight abroad (many think it's as well known as Oxbridge). In truth, the only reason why unis like UCL or KCL (the two major multifaculty unis) are better known internationall is down to the London name. It's a capital city, it's always going to carry some recognition regardless of whether the actual uni is known or not. It's not because they are superior to the other eight or so unis after Oxbridge.
Reply 18
Wat:Shark:Where
dude, its oxford and cambridge

:bl:

The emoticon says it all. Truly. :yep:
Reply 19
The_Lonely_Goatherd
It can be quite intense, but I'd rather have the short terms and long holidays :smile:

I thought the long holidays would be great but, by the time I got to mid-September, I start getting bored (and run out of money) :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending