The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
WOLLSMOTH
You're pretty much guaranteed a job with an Oxbridge degree (unless it's something like music lol). They are the top tier university.

Funniest post i've read today.
hotgoose
What's so unique about their tutorial system? And why don't other universities just copy it to achieve a similair standard of education?

One-to-one or one-to-two tuition? You won't get that in many places.

If other universities were to "copy" this system, they would either have to employ a hell of a lot more people (which would cost a lot of money; besides which, if all universities did this, I doubt there would be enough sufficiently-qualified tutors to go around) or greatly reduce their student numbers (which would take away a large chunk of their income).
Reply 42
WOLLSMOTH
You're pretty much guaranteed a job with an Oxbridge degree (unless it's something like music lol). They are the top tier university.

Wrong.

I have no idea who you are but you are obviously an idiot. Proof of this can be found in your profile. Worth a read if anyone wants a laugh :wink:
Yes...a couple of people pmed asking me this. I am a blood. I've got connections with guys you wouldn't ever want to know.

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaah
Reply 44
TI-84
agreed.
Also nearly all engineering courses at Imperial are likely to carry more weight than an Oxbridge engineering degree (at least that's my opinion).

Doubt it. In my experience Imperial is where the few people who fail prelims go after dropping out.
boxface
Doubt it. In my experience Imperial is where the few people who fail prelims go after dropping out.

well thats ******** because they don't accept anyone onto the second year or part way through the first.Unless you mean they reapplied the next year.
Reply 46
Chemical_Scum
well thats ******** because they don't accept anyone onto the second year or part way through the first.Unless you mean they reapplied the next year.

Umm... think about it. They failed the first year, so they wouldn't go straight into second. Prelims are at the end of the year, so they wouldn't be going in part way through a year.

I know people who failed their prelims in the summer and got straight into Imperial the following autumn. I was quite surprised, seeing as this was months after most people would have applied through ucas.
Reply 47
WOLLSMOTH
I speak Russian to the standard of a B grade at gcse and i've only been learning it for a year. By next year i'll be fluent.

:rofl:

Oh dear....
Reply 48
*pitseleh*
One-to-one or one-to-two tuition? You won't get that in many places.

If other universities were to "copy" this system, they would either have to employ a hell of a lot more people (which would cost a lot of money; besides which, if all universities did this, I doubt there would be enough sufficiently-qualified tutors to go around) or greatly reduce their student numbers (which would take away a large chunk of their income).

Exactly, it's all about resources and other unis just can't match them. Also, having teaching based entirely in departments doesn't help.

Amongst other "top" unis you're still taught in small groups, but not individually or with one or person. Rarely, anyway.

I've been in a tutorial group of five before (that's probably the smallest) but only two or three would turn up each time.
boxface
Umm... think about it. They failed the first year, so they wouldn't go straight into second. Prelims are at the end of the year, so they wouldn't be going in part way through a year.

I know people who failed their prelims in the summer and got straight into Imperial the following autumn. I was quite surprised, seeing as this was months after most people would have applied through ucas.

Well they all had at least AAA and whats so suprising about getting in for the following year? You made out like they just walked into Imperial as Oxbridge failures.
River85
Exactly, it's all about resources and other unis just can't match them. Also, having teaching based entirely in departments doesn't help.

Amongst other "top" unis you're still taught in small groups, but not individually or with one or person. Rarely, anyway.

I've been in a tutorial group of five before (that's probably the smallest) but only two or three would turn up each time.

But if this is the case why does UCL have the lowest student to staff ratio and not Oxford/Cambridge?
Reply 51
Chemical_Scum
You made out like they just walked into Imperial as Oxbridge failures.

No offence, but yeah, that's basically what they did.
Despite Oxford's enormous achievements, as a city it is a pile of ****. Its almost impossible to drive in to and just park. Too many buses, cyclists and far too much pedestrianisation.
Reply 53
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Despite Oxford's enormous achievements, as a city it is a pile of w*nk. Its almost impossible to drive in to and just park. Too many buses, cyclists and far too much pedestrianisation.

Oxford would be much nicer if there were no cars in the centre at all.
Reply 54
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
Despite Oxford's enormous achievements, as a city it is a pile of w*nk. Its almost impossible to drive in to and just park. Too many buses, cyclists and far too much pedestrianisation.

I totally disagree, I love those things about it. In truth the city itself is part of what attracted me so much to it
What kind of ****** would try to drive in Oxford?
Reply 56
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean it's a city where the car isn't king! :eek: How dare a city like that every exist :rolleyes:

We all know cyclists are there only to be abused and called road tax dogers, pedestrians only there to be at risk of morons speeding, using the mobile whie driving, parking on pavements...
Reply 57
River85
:rofl:

Oh dear....

And just what is so funny?
Reply 58
WOLLSMOTH
And just what is so funny?

The idea of going from GCSE B grade (which, lets face it, is far from fluent) to fully fluent in a year.

Come back in a year's time and sit some university exam papers. Get a first in these and then I'll drop you off in the middle of St Petersburg and see how you do.

If you suceed then I'll take it back.

Next you'll be telling me you can play "When the Saints go Marching In" on your Casio keyboard, but by this time next year you'll be a concert pianist.
Reply 59
gangsta316
But if this is the case why does UCL have the lowest student to staff ratio and not Oxford/Cambridge?

Student:staff ratio doesn't really reflect what the students see at all. It depends more on where the staff are and what their role is.

An oxbridge college might have (say) 20 students in a subject over 3/4 years, with 2 tutors at the college. That's a ratio of 10:1, but in terms of what the students actually see, it's more like 2:1 or 1:1.

On a department level, the same subject might have (say) 600 students over all of the colleges, and a great deal more than 60 staff. Therefore the ratio is less than 10:1, but in terms of what the students actually see it'll be 150:1 for lectures, maybe 30:1 for classes, 10:1 for practicals and so on.

Most subjects at oxbridge use a mixture of the two, with tutorials on a college level, lectures on a department level.

Latest

Trending

Trending