The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
You basically changed your argument (I have not altered your first post at all) once you realised you were wrong. It's ok, the right thing to do. Though it'd be better if you could admit to it.
Reply 141
what? When he didn´t understand my point, I made an explanation to what I meant, and if you had paid more attention and read that explanation, you wouldn´t be talking now.
Jinzeirn
what? When she didn´t understand my point, I made an explanation to what I meant, and if you had paid more attention and read that explanation, you wouldn´t be talking now.

Erm
Reply 143
I leave now. This is getting ridiculous.
Reply 144
sorry, he not she :tongue:
Reply 145
anyways, I leave now.
Reply 146
anniexingyan
The reason why I chose Oxbridge (as an Oxford fresher now) over other UK unis is quite simple:
1) prestige, esp international reputation.
I'm an international student and I don't necessarily stay in UK after uni so it's better to choose a uni with a big name. Most employers abroad won't even know about Imperial or UCL, etc.

2) Educational value. (Yeah, I'm expecting very challenging work and reasonably better academics to teach. The tutorial system is very tempting. The resources are superb at Oxbridge--the libraries, the academic help I will get, etc.)

3) My peers (I may be biased but generally Oxbridge attract the most brilliant students in the country and also some highly motivated students around the world. It's always nice to be within a competitive academic community.)

4) Societies and Clubs (Oxbridge have outstanding extra-curriclar activies arranged. The only reason I chose Oxford was that I love the Oxford Union and the opportunity to debate against some of the most influential international figures in the world. )

This list goes on and on. I believe if anyone goes to a country outside UK and asks them whether they would choose Oxbridge or other high-quality unis (despite the reducing gap between them), they will all answer the same as I did.

Excuse me?

Imperial is amazing just like UCL and you say that abroad most employers will not know them??

I wonder what job your looking to do..............
Reply 147
AlexP
Excuse me?

Imperial is amazing just like UCL and you say that abroad most employers will not know them??

I wonder what job your looking to do..............

Of course Imperial and UCL are excellent universities... However, she probably knows more about employers in her country than you do. It seems very reasonable to me not to want to pay 12k+ tuition fees per year for a university whose name employers would have to google.

Anyway, I'd be more concerned that she "loves the Oxford Union". :biggrin: Each to their own, however. :-)
Reply 148
AlexP

You'd be surprised how few UK universities (even reputable ones) are widely known abroad outside a strictly academic context. It isn't a judgement about their quality, really, it's just that foreigners who didn't attend a UK university themselves or have friends or close relatives who did won't usually be familiar with very many names beyond Oxbridge, and possibly Imperial or the LSE if they're sciency/social sciency people. Which is fair enough, actually, if you consider that you probably wouldn't be able to name more than three French / German / Swedish / Portuguese / whatever universities either, let alone tell whether they're "amazing" or otherwise...
So it's actually quite likely that a foreign employer won't see much of a difference between Essex and Exeter, as he'll be equally unfamiliar with both.:dontknow:
Reply 149
hobnob
You'd be surprised how few UK universities (even reputable ones) are widely known abroad outside a strictly academic context. It isn't a judgement about their quality, really, it's just that foreigners who didn't attend a UK university themselves or have friends or close relatives who did won't usually be familiar with very many names beyond Oxbridge, and possibly Imperial or the LSE if they're sciency/social sciency people. Which is fair enough, actually, if you consider that you probably wouldn't be able to name more than three French / German / Swedish / Portuguese / whatever universities either, let alone tell whether they're "amazing" or otherwise...
So it's actually quite likely that a foreign employer won't see much of a difference between Essex and Exeter, as he'll be equally unfamiliar with both.:dontknow:

I'd second this. Where I come from, many do not know UCL, Imperial and the likes; same applies to my partner's country and many other people of different nationalities who I have happened to discuss this issue with. However, all of them are familiar with Oxford and Cambridge (although the term Oxbridge is indeed unknown to most:wink: ).

Latest

Trending

Trending