The Student Room Group

Internet cuts out whenever the phone rings.

The title says it all.
Does anyone have any ideas why my connection to the internet cuts out whenever the landline rings, or whenever i use it. When it is in use there is a lot of crackling and interference on the line aswell.
The problem is 100% not caused by microfilters, and I know this because my Dad bought 6 more from amazon and after swapping them around the problem persists :smile:
I've called up bethere customer support and they don't know what to do.
I had the problem before when I was with orange broadband and they managed to solve the problem then, but I don't know how.
Any help would be appreciated! :smile:
are you on dial up?

if you are, you'll only be able to use one at a time...

a call incoming will disconnect the net
Reply 2
lizzierocks
are you on dial up?

if you are, you'll only be able to use one at a time...

a call incoming will disconnect the net

dial up?
LOL
nahhhhhhhhhhhh
bethere, 24mb down, 2.5mb up
:smile:
Reply 3
You have Dial Up

I suggest you change to Broadband as it isn't connected to a phone line.
Reply 4
Ollie20

The problem is 100% not caused by microfilters.

lmao I was just gonna suggest filters XD

The only thing I can suggest is to phone up your broadband provider and ask them.
ha ha !
Reply 6
Ollie20
The title says it all.
Does anyone have any ideas why my connection to the internet cuts out whenever the landline rings, or whenever i use it. When it is in use there is a lot of crackling and interference on the line aswell.
The problem is 100% not caused by microfilters.
Any help would be appreciated! :smile:

Same thing happens to meee! However, downstairs phones work properly and dont dissconnect the net when picked up, but the phone upstairs is crackly and everytime i pick that one up nett goes!
Reply 7
range-free
You have Dial Up

I suggest you change to Broadband as it isn't connected to a phone line.

Hmmm you managed to be wrong in both statements of your post.
Reply 8
Does sound like a messed up ADSL filter....but if your sure then only thing you can do is ring up your ISP techincal support team?!!
How do you 100% know it's not a filter problem?
Sounds like you need a filter (or a new one if you don't have one)
Reply 11
I had this problem, as I was just using microfilters for the internet connection not the other phone lines. You have to have microfilters on EVERY phone connection.

If you already have, then no idea. Fixed it for me :s
For 3 weeks I was suffering the same problem. I had foolishly removed one of my microfilters to test an empty socket upstairs and I forgot to replace it again..

If not, it's your Attenuation. Try the filters first. If it seems to fail check the attenuation via your router. If it is high, then consider moving the router to the main socket (or even test socket)
Have you actually got 6 telephones connected to phone line extensions at the same time? Each phone has a REN (ringer equivalence number) and the total on the line must not exceed REN 4. A typical phone has REN 1. I'm not sure if this would affect it but I thought I would mention it.

Since you have tried microfilters it sounds like there may be an issue on the line. Also the mention of noise on the phone suggests this.

If you could post some line stats (attenuation, SNR margin, error rates) it may help. Since you are with Be Unlimited, there is a status page in the router which should give all that information.

Since you say there is noise, I’ll start by suggesting a quiet line test on the phone. To do a quiet line test dial 17070 and choose option 2. If you hear any hissing, crackling or popping sounds that’s noise.

Now to see if the internal wiring is at fault, if you have an NTE5 master socket (pic in link below) remove the lower half face plate, and connect a phone to the BT test socket, on the bottom right. Taking the front face plate off disconnects all the telephone wiring in your house from the incoming phone line.

http://adsl.yesyes.info/modules/edito/content.php?id=3

Now do another quiet line test, and see if there is noise. If there is, it suggests a fault on your phone line which would need to be reported to BT. That is likely causing the issue then.

If there is no noise, then there is some issue in your internal wiring. To see if the problem is solved, try connecting the router to the socket via a microfilter, and getting some line stats to see if the attenuation has dropped. Then connect a phone to the filter and see if you’re still getting the same issue. If you are, I’m not sure what the problem is since filters have been ruled out.
unknown1557
Have you actually got 6 telephones connected to phone line extensions at the same time? Each phone has a REN (ringer equivalence number) and the total on the line must not exceed REN 4. A typical phone has REN 1. I'm not sure if this would affect it but I thought I would mention it.

Most likely he's got digital phones, which I'm guessing don't suffer from this problem as only the main base station is connected to the phone line.
RightSaidJames
Most likely he's got digital phones, which I'm guessing don't suffer from this problem as only the main base station is connected to the phone line.

Yes thats true, but it sounds like 6 more filters were ordered to replace the original ones.
Reply 16
Are you sure you're not using dial up ?!
Reply 17
Maybe your telephone line is really old and not up to scratch with being able to cope with the internet and phone calls at the same time...

you say "When it is in use there is a lot of crackling and interference on the line aswell"

Have you followed the instructions to install all the hardware (filters cables router etc.)

All your filters connected to all telephone sockets in use.
(don't forget sky box and fax machine)

And maybe keep the cable that connects the filter to the modem/router as short as possible. Longer it is the longer the data needs to travel..

When you say orange broadband fixed the problem before am guessing you didn't have to do anything, they just worked their magic..
i had this issue with a old router i used. For some reason the telephone frequency used to always cause it to reboot itself. Never got to the root of the problem but i got a newer router and it fixed it.

Latest

Trending

Trending