The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Big Medicine UKCAT 2013 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Right guys, I am sick these scamming little websites with crap questions for the UKCAT! Seriously, I don't want to be paying 30/40 quid for pointless resources - I am broke as is.

I would really appreciate book suggestions for the UKCAT. Currently I have:

- 600 UKCAT questions.

That's it for now, I really want some good books as I tend to learn better from books rather than some on line resources. Any good suggestions will be much appreciated :smile: (and =+ep'ed)
Original post by Doctor.
Right guys....

I don't think anyone else has suggested it but I have BMJ's UKCAT and BMAT Uncovered and I think it's quite good. It takes you through questions as preparation with hints on how to approach them and has 2 full practice papers for BMAT and for UKCAT.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by KitschyFox
I don't think anyone else has suggested it but I have BMJ's UKCAT and BMAT Uncovered and I think it's quite good. It takes you through questions as preparation with hints on how to approach them and has 2 full practice papers for BMAT and for UKCAT.

I got that one last year, but I would say be wary of errors as I found a couple in the book. Also I didn't think that the questions were a lot like the ones in the actual tests IIRC.
Reply 183

This is what someone on Amazon said about it:

"I bought this book to help me prepare for the UKCAT. For that purpose it is absolutly rubbish!!! For the BMAT this book maybe usefull i dont know, but if you are doing the ukcat dont bother with this book!!!

Main faults are:

questions are not really that similar to the exam
Very Few practice questions
Mock exam answers do not have any justifications
Abstract reasoning section of mock exam has tiny diagrams and is squashed onto 5 pages!"

I really only am concerned about the UKCAT- Won't be sitting the BMAT. Not too sure if it's worth the 10 quid :tongue: I am VERY broke :cry2:
Reply 184
Original post by confused dot com
I got that one last year, but I would say be wary of errors as I found a couple in the book. Also I didn't think that the questions were a lot like the ones in the actual tests IIRC.

Ah thank you for the heads up :smile:

Any suggestions on books then? :h:
Original post by Doctor.
This is what someone on Amazon said about it:

I really only am concerned about the UKCAT- Won't be sitting the BMAT. Not too sure if it's worth the 10 quid :tongue: I am VERY broke :cry2:

Oh gosh, now I don't feel so confident with it :s-smilie: I thought the Verbal Reasoning were very similar to what we were shown as being UKCAT questions, and the diagrams weren't bad I thought

But explanations would be useful, for Abstract Reasoning particularly and maybe Decision Analysis? And I found a couple of errors too that were very annoying, and it's black and white so some of the QA diagrams were useless.

I'll have to see about getting this 600Q book then!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 186
Oh gosh, now I don't feel so confident with it :s-smilie: I thought the Verbal Reasoning were very similar to what we were shown as being UKCAT questions, and the diagrams weren't bad I thought

But explanations would be useful, for Abstract Reasoning particularly and maybe Decision Analysis? And I found a couple of errors too that were very annoying, and it's black and white so some of the QA diagrams were useless.

The 600Q book is the best resourse, so I an told!

But I need more help :frown:
Original post by Doctor.
Ah thank you for the heads up :smile:

Any suggestions on books then? :h:

600 UKCAT questions is probably the best one, but everyone has suggested that already :tongue: I have found that most of the UKCAT books I've come across have either had errors or were in a format that was quite different to the actual test so if you are going to buy one, check out the reviews on amazon as they have been quite accurate in my experience :smile:
Reply 188
600 UKCAT questions is probably the best one, but everyone has suggested that already :tongue: I have found that most of the UKCAT books I've come across have either had errors or were in a format that was quite different to the actual test so if you are going to buy one, check out the reviews on amazon as they have been quite accurate in my experience :smile:

Ah will do :smile:

If anyine does have any idea what books are worth a look though...please please let me know!

I'd probably steer away from books preaching a specific technique to tackling questions as I felt that finding my own method rather than using theirs was a lot more comfortable and accurate. The 600Q book is quite good IIRC as it suggests things to look for rather than shoving a step-by-step process down your throat!
I'd probably steer away from books preaching a specific technique to tackling questions as I felt that finding my own method rather than using theirs was a lot more comfortable and accurate. The 600Q book is quite good IIRC as it suggests things to look for rather than shoving a step-by-step process down your throat!

Well I'll be honest in saying I didn't pay too much attention to them and just dove right into the questions, but I thought it might help some people who had no clue where to start.

Original post by Doctor.
Ah will do :smile:

If anyine does have any idea what books are worth a look though...please please let me know!

I only took a quick look through Amazon results for UKCAT, but it seems that other books people have found have mistakes, are to easy compared to the actual exam, or have been used in conjunction with 600Q.

Are you looking for more resources for variety or because you've exhausted 600Q?
Reply 191
Well I'll be honest in saying I didn't pay too much attention to them and just dove right into the questions, but I thought it might help some people who had no clue where to start.

I only took a quick look through Amazon results for UKCAT, but it seems that other books people have found have mistakes, are to easy compared to the actual exam, or have been used in conjunction with 600Q.

Are you looking for more resources for variety or because you've exhausted 600Q?

I've exhausted 600Q but I would really like one which helps more with "how to answer"- and questions would be an amazing advantage :smile:
Original post by Doctor.
I've exhausted 600Q but I would really like one which helps more with "how to answer"- and questions would be an amazing advantage :smile:

Apparently Kaplan have downloadable explanations to the practice tests they host, but I know you're looking for a book. Kaplan do a prep course for UKCAT though so if you're stuck it sounds like a fair bet. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

EDIT: http://www.kaptest.co.uk/about/download-brochure
Reply 193
Apparently Kaplan have downloadable explanations to the practice tests they host, but I know you're looking for a book. Kaplan do a prep course for UKCAT though so if you're stuck it sounds like a fair bet. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

It's fine and thank you :smile: The Kaplan course is just too much money for me :frown:

Really apprecite the help anyway!
Theres a new section to the ukcat?
"The Situational Judgement test is only being trialled in 2012. We will make practice items available for this section in future years."
Original post by MarshmallowBob
Theres a new section to the ukcat?
"The Situational Judgement test is only being trialled in 2012. We will make practice items available for this section in future years."

Can't be for sitting it this year though... isn't the test already open to be sat? :confused: They set the average score by having 1000 people answer the questions before it's open for entry, so maybe they're doing that this year in preparation for the 2013 sitting...

I really hope so anyway D: Where did you see this?

(And correct me on above if I'm wrong!)

EDIT: We have to sit it to trial it for future years, but it won't be counted in the scoring at all this year :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Can't be for sitting it this year though... isn't the test already open to be sat? :confused: They set the average score by having 1000 people answer the questions before it's open for entry, so maybe they're doing that this year in preparation for the 2013 sitting...

I really hope so anyway D: Where did you see this?

(And correct me on above if I'm wrong!)

EDIT: We have to sit it to trial it for future years, but it won't be counted in the scoring at all this year :smile:

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/preparation/practice-test/
and are you sure? :confused:

From the UKCAT website:
UKCAT are piloting an additional assessment called a Situational Judgement Test (SJT). The SJT subtest is designed to assess your judgement regarding healthcare related scenarios.
The aim of the pilot is to evaluate the appropriateness for future use and your input into this part of the assessment is very important. You will be required to undertake this subtest as part of the assessment. However your score in this subtest will NOT contribute to your final score, will not be communicated to your chosen medical and dental schools and will not be taken into consideration by the medical/dental schools during their admission processes.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/about-the-test/behavioural-test/

That seems pretty definitive :smile:
From the UKCAT website:

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/about-the-test/behavioural-test/

That seems pretty definitive :smile:

*sigh* relief :smile: thanks.
Original post by Doctor.
Right guys, I am sick these scamming little websites with crap questions for the UKCAT! Seriously, I don't want to be paying 30/40 quid for pointless resources - I am broke as is.

I would really appreciate book suggestions for the UKCAT. Currently I have:

- 600 UKCAT questions.

That's it for now, I really want some good books as I tend to learn better from books rather than some on line resources. Any good suggestions will be much appreciated :smile: (and =+ep'ed)

Hey, Ive used the UKCAT book, also wanted more questions had a look around and didnt want to spend money on monthly subscriptions but came across ukcatpracticequestions.co.uk - theyre only £2 for questions and you can choose which type to download - you can print them off as well which might help if you dont like online stuff. I found them very good for extra questions to help out alongside the UKCAT 600 questions book

Quick Reply

Latest