The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Big Medicine UKCAT 2013 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Get the 600 Questions book for your UKCAT, it is the most recommended book for UKCAT preparation on TSR as it has lots of questions which are exactly like the format and level of difficulty of the real test. However, the Quantitative reasoning section is harder than in the real UKCAT.
I just phoned up the UKCAT enquiry line and they confirmed that there isn't a touch screen at my centre but there is a keyboard, which is kind of a relief. No hand-held calculators at all though.
I'd recommend anyone else who is unsure to do the same! This had me losing sleep for a while but it's good to have one less thing to worry about I guess :smile:
Original post by me, myself and I
I just phoned up the UKCAT enquiry line and they confirmed that there isn't a touch screen at my centre but there is a keyboard, which is kind of a relief. No hand-held calculators at all though.
I'd recommend anyone else who is unsure to do the same! This had me losing sleep for a while but it's good to have one less thing to worry about I guess :smile:

Hadn't even thought of this -- if I have to use a dodgy touch screen I'll cry haha.
(edited 11 years ago)
Could someone upload the UKCAT test practice program that needed to be downloaded from the UKCAT site before?

I'm having trouble with the online one they have now, for some reason, when i start sections, it won't let me select options i want e.g. if i click B, B doesn't get selected.
Original post by EternalDoom
Could someone upload the UKCAT test practice program that needed to be downloaded from the UKCAT site before?

I'm having trouble with the online one they have now, for some reason, when i start sections, it won't let me select options i want e.g. if i click B, B doesn't get selected.

Doing this for you now but my upload speed is being horrifically slow. Will have the link in about 30 mins.
You could also consider an online package for extra practice, though these can be pricey. The most popular are Ace Medicine, Emedica & Medify. I've used the latter and can recommend that, but emedica is also decent. Can't comment on Ace Medicine.
Original post by MattKneale
It's at the end of the test, hardly wasting much energy since you don't have any real stress over it. Besides if something went wrong in your exam and you have to resit it next year, you'll have prior experience with the new section.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ahh I see I will actually try then if it doesnt waste any of my time in the proper test.

Also I know you use medify, So do I but do you think the questions on medify for each section are similar to that you get in the proper ukcat test?
Original post by Richyp22
ahh I see I will actually try then if it doesnt waste any of my time in the proper test.

Also I know you use medify, So do I but do you think the questions on medify for each section are similar to that you get in the proper ukcat test?

I sat the UKCAT a fair while ago so it's not firm in my memory, but from what I gather it seems very similar. If anything I think the sections are a bit harder in medify than the real thing, but it's good prep. I'll reconfirm this after I sit the test again this Friday!
Original post by EternalDoom

Practice test: http://www.sendspace.com/file/a05upc

Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
This time in two days i'll have my score :redface: :colonhash:

Is it just me, or are the VR questions on the getintomedicine site ridiculously easy compared to the official tests and the 600 questions? I consistently get 8/9/10 out of 10 on them and I was doing nowhere near as well on the other 2.
Original post by noregrets
This time in two days i'll have my score :redface: :colonhash:

Is it just me, or are the VR questions on the getintomedicine site ridiculously easy compared to the official tests and the 600 questions? I consistently get 8/9/10 out of 10 on them and I
was doing nowhere near as well on the other 2.

Harder is better for VR as you never really know what they could throw at you. I think the 600q book is pretty much spot on with VR.
Original post by Lily Academia
Ohhhh my Godddd :bawling:
I have it in a few hours. :gasp: :sigh:

Just did reasonably awfully :sigh:
But as expected :sadnod:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Don't be too disheartened, that score is definitely something you can work with. Could you apply to Liverpool or Bristol? If not, you know the areas you have to focus on next year :smile: chin up!

Spoiler

That's a great score! 650 average. I got an interview with a 612.5 average last year so don't be disappointed! I was also told that If I had a 645+ average I would have been offered another interview! Congrats!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by noregrets
That's a great score! 650 average. I got an interview with a 612.5 average last year so don't be disappointed! I was also told that If I had a 645+ average I owuld have been offered another interview! Congrats!

Thank you. If I'm honest I was expecting an awful lot worse. Good luck for when you sit it!

Original post by MattKneale
Don't be too disheartened, that score is definitely something you can work with. Could you apply to Liverpool or Bristol? If not, you know the areas you have to focus on next year :smile: chin up!

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 596
Thank you. If I'm honest I was expecting an awful lot worse. Good luck for when you sit it!

Spoiler

wot were your GCSE's, and wot r u predicted for AS/A2??

But seriously, 650 is really good....calm down

in my year group last year, 30 boys applied for medicine, and 29 of them gt offers. The average UKCAT score was 640
Reply 597

Spoiler

650 is a good score. I got almost the same score as you last year and still got interviewed by both of the UKCAT universities that I applied to. Where were you thinking about applying? :smile:

Spoiler

I saw someone who applied to Keele with 595 and got in, so I wouldn't worry too much. Give it a go, you never know, but most of all don't give up.
How long does it take for UKCAT results to come out after sitting the test?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending