The Student Room Group

Master's degree questions

I apologise if this specifically has been asked before...

I know I'm an undergrad at the moment, but this is more for future reference really.

I'm just wondering with a humanities degree (English Language) what kind of subjects would I be allowed to do as a Master's?

Also, I'm just wondering if I'd be able to go to a uni such as KCL or UCL or somewhere to do a postgrad with a Cardiff degree?

I'm sorry if these questions are idiotic, thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Where you went for UG does not and will not have an influence on where you could study for your masters. PG is more about the individual, your results, references, research interests etc etc :biggrin:
apotoftea
Where you went for UG does not and will not have an influence on where you could study for your masters. PG is more about the individual, your results, references, research interests etc etc :biggrin:

I see haha... just wondering what the process is to apply to a postgrad degree? I'm simply just curious really.
Reply 3
You'd be able to do most non-specialized and non-math fields (most humanities), though you'd have to write a pretty damn good statement of purpose. And yes, you'd be able to get into KCL and UCL with a degree from Cardiff. It's not like Cardiff is a bad university...
Bismarck
You'd be able to do most non-specialized and non-math fields (most humanities), though you'd have to write a pretty damn good statement of purpose. And yes, you'd be able to get into KCL and UCL with a degree from Cardiff. It's not like Cardiff is a bad university...

Ahh yeah, I know Cardiff isn't bad but I can accept that it possibly isn't as good as UCL for example which is why I'm curious. I know there's no rule saying you can't do a MA at a university if you came from X university, but I was thinking purely that they may look more fairly upon people from another 'top ten'.

It's good to know I wouldn't be restricted to English then. I love English but not sure if I could do it for four years. :biggrin:
Reply 5
JocastaJackal
Ahh yeah, I know Cardiff isn't bad but I can accept that it possibly isn't as good as UCL for example which is why I'm curious. I know there's no rule saying you can't do a MA at a university if you came from X university, but I was thinking purely that they may look more fairly upon people from another 'top ten'.

It's good to know I wouldn't be restricted to English then. I love English but not sure if I could do it for four years. :biggrin:

Do you have an outside option you're allowed to take? You might want to use it to try out different subjects to see if you really like any of them.

It might play a role, but it would be a minor one. Just concentrate on getting good grades and getting to know your professor (to get good reference letters later on).
Bismarck
Do you have an outside option you're allowed to take? You might want to use it to try out different subjects to see if you really like any of them.

It might play a role, but it would be a minor one. Just concentrate on getting good grades and getting to know your professor (to get good reference letters later on).

I'm allowed to do that in the first year I think, I'm thinking of looking at Psychology but apparently I have almost unlimited options for that which is exciting.

Thanks for the advice. :biggrin:
Reply 7
JocastaJackal
I'm allowed to do that in the first year I think, I'm thinking of looking at Psychology but apparently I have almost unlimited options for that which is exciting.

Thanks for the advice. :biggrin:

You're welcome. You might want to wait until your second year before you start worrying about your postgraduate degree though. :wink:
Bismarck
You're welcome. You might want to wait until your second year before you start worrying about your postgraduate degree though. :wink:

Haha noo I'm not worried, I just wanted to know well in advance as I know absolutely nothing about this.
Reply 9
I'm just wondering if I'd be able to go to a uni such as KCL or UCL or somewhere to do a postgrad with a Cardiff degree?

I did my BA at Aberystwyth and am now doing my MA at UCL.

It's good to know I wouldn't be restricted to English then. I love English but not sure if I could do it for four years.

Out of interest, if you don't have a passion for your subject why do you want to do a postgrad degree? If it's solely to improve your job prospects I don't think a degree from Cardiff (a very good uni) is going to hold you back.
Wyrd14

Out of interest, if you don't have a passion for your subject why do you want to do a postgrad degree? If it's solely to improve your job prospects I don't think a degree from Cardiff (a very good uni) is going to hold you back.

My friend who graduated from BA English Language at Cardiff is still unemployed after a year and can't even get a job as a shop assistant now.

To answer the question on passion; I do have a passion for English but I was thinking of branching out to something else in Humanities just to make things a bit more varied I guess. Or just go into a specific part of English like some kind of linguistics. Obviously I have no clue yet... haha...
JocastaJackal
My friend who graduated from BA English Language at Cardiff is still unemployed after a year and can't even get a job as a shop assistant now.

That's because she's over qualified! Having worked in retail for 3 years now both for a local and country wide company, so many CVs don't get looked at if they've got a degree and want full time work. Saying that we've just taken a girl on, but she's only with us a year so she can get some money to do her MA. Employers find it odd (which they shouldn't tbh) that graduates want full time shop assistant work, hence why the majority don't get employed.

Best advice re: choosing a specific subject to specify into is that once you reach your second and third years you'll start to find your real interests and loves of certain parts of the subject. Once that happens, you'll be able to start looking at the specific courses :smile:
Reply 12
Wyrd14

I did my LLB at Sheffield Hallam and am about to do an LLM at Leicester
apotoftea
That's because she's over qualified! Having worked in retail for 3 years now both for a local and country wide company, so many CVs don't get looked at if they've got a degree and want full time work. Saying that we've just taken a girl on, but she's only with us a year so she can get some money to do her MA. Employers find it odd (which they shouldn't tbh) that graduates want full time shop assistant work, hence why the majority don't get employed.

Supermarkets are probably the best bet at finding work. I thought of working for a year before a masters but unsure of it. Rather work a little over the years (12 hours a week term time, 36+ holidays) of undergraduate study and save most of it and work the interest in saving accounts.
Reply 14
You apply to each university individually for postgrad study, not through a central body like UCAS. You can apply for as many as you want (or for as many as your boring paperwork threshold will take :wink: ) and you can apply for both Oxford and Cambridge if you wish.

I'm an example of someone who changed my subject between the two levels of study, going from being a student of Classics and English to reading Linguistics.

Wait and see if you like undergrad study first though :wink: It's very different to school/college and postgrad study is even more different again.
Reply 15
When is the deadline/how early should you apply to the Unis?
Reply 16
They vary between institution and course but the best idea is get everything organised over the summer period and start drafting applications in the Autumn of the academic year before. It would probably be best if you get into any popular programs very early (Oxford, Cam, UOL etc)- before Christmas if you can (sometimes the deadlines are Nov so be careful)- but most others will close admissions when the course is full so it's possible to apply as late as May or June, although not recommended. For example, a friend of mine was accepted into Cardiff for an LLM as late as July!
Reply 17
I sent all mine off at the end of November as I wanted to avoid the deluge of Christmas post, and I like to be organised so was keen for them to all go off at once in time for the January gathered field at Oxford.
Reply 18
I've been told to try and get the applications sent off by the end of october/start of november for most courses such as MA/MSc. But it really doesn't matter to a certain extent as i've seen quite a few universities offer postgraduate courses as late as August. But to save yourself a lot of hassle with finding yourself somewhere to live i'd apply before March.
Mine were all sent off in January/February so my lecturers could take into account my first semester results in my reference and I heard back from all but one university within 3 weeks of posting them (Salford took almost 4 months to reply).

Latest

Trending

Trending