The Student Room Group

What to drop! Biology or Geography at A2

I'm currently starting Year 13, at AS-level I was studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. I'm applying to study medicine from September 2009, but my school insists I only study 3 subjects at A2. I scored the following UMS marks in the subjects:

Biology - 250/300
Chemistry - 284/300
Geography - 288/300
Maths - 277/300

Which is 4 A's (240/300 being an A at AS level for those who don't know)

I'm definitely keeping on Maths and Chemistry which will be classed as my two sciences, but I'm in the dark as what I should do about my third subject. I've decided my University choices for med school are: Oxford, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Leeds and all of them only require Biology to AS Level at the most, with Newcastle and Leeds not even requiring it to AS Level.

From my AS level results I've decided that I'd be stupid to drop geography as I only need 192 UMS marks for an A at A-level, of which up to 120 can come from coursework which is being entered for the January examinations which means I'll have done 70% of the course even before June. With only scoring 250/300 in Biology I believe it would be much harder to get an A at A-level.

However, I keep on going around in circles, as to what to drop as I keep wondering when applying for medicine whether I'll be penalised for only having Biology to AS level if I am to drop it; despite it not being essential as such. As at the end of the day if its between another candidate and myself, of whom has Maths, Biology and Chemistry - whilst I'd only have Maths, Geography and chemistry, would I be disadvantaged? Also I scored 643 on my UKCAT - does this put me in a good or bad position?

I'd appreciate your views on what I should do!
Reply 1
geography
Reply 2
Why don't you consider taking 4 A2's?
Drop Biology...it's much more likely you'd get a B in that than in Geography, that's if you like them equally. If they say you only need Biology to AS then they aren't allowed to discriminate between someone who has it to AS and someone to A Level.
Reply 4
splee
Why don't you consider taking 4 A2's?

I was definitely considering 4A2s, but my school wouldn't let me because of timetabling issues :frown:

But OP, there's no problem with you doing geography, seeing as its your best subject! But beware that your first year in medicine will be very hard indeed without an A2 in biology. Perhaps you could consider studying bio in your spare time, without doing the actual exam?
Reply 5
If it is merely of timetabling problems, I would suggest self-studying one of them.

Your hesitation implies you do not prefer one over another - so why not continue them for one more year?
Reply 6
silk192
geography

Based on what?
Reply 7
one2three_abc
Drop Biology...it's much more likely you'd get a B in that than in Geography, that's if you like them equally. If they say you only need Biology to AS then they aren't allowed to discriminate between someone who has it to AS and someone to A Level.

That's what my teacher was saying, about the fact I'm much more likely to get my A in geography than one in Biology. Also, that can be only good news if they can't discriminate me for only have Biology to AS :yep:

Replying to what others have said, timetabling to do four A2 Levels isn't a problem - I've got all 4 subjects on my timetable at the minute. All my teacher is saying is that she insists on me only studying 3 at A2, as the chances are I'm more likely to get AAA than AAAA naturally, and since Oxford and the other universities insist on AAA or AAAb I may as well only do 3 A2's in order to ensure I can put more of my time focusing on 3 subjects to get AAA.

However like I've said the only thing that concerns me, is if I drop Biology will they penalise me for it, and taking Geography to A2; especially since I'm aiming to study medicine. In my mind I'm wanting to do Maths, Chemistry and Geography, but the question about "should I really drop biology, when wanting to do medicine" keeps on cropping up! Yet, at the end of the day I have my 2 Sciences Maths and Chemistry, some universities even class Geography as a third science (but I don't believe this would be for medicine courses).
Reply 8
LeeJT
Based on what?

im sure medicine is biology related isnt it? if it is, you are bound to study it as part of your course so might as well get used to the subject now...stop looking for the easy way out....even if you dont need alot of points to get an A in geography, im sure if you work hard you will get the A in biology....
Reply 9
LeeJT
That's what my teacher was saying, about the fact I'm much more likely to get my A in geography than one in Biology. Also, that can be only good news if they can't discriminate me for only have Biology to AS :yep:

Replying to what others have said, timetabling to do four A2 Levels isn't a problem - I've got all 4 subjects on my timetable at the minute. All my teacher is saying is that she insists on me only studying 3 at A2, as the chances are I'm more likely to get AAA than AAAA naturally, and since Oxford and the other universities insist on AAA or AAAb I may as well only do 3 A2's in order to ensure I can put more of my time focusing on 3 subjects to get AAA.

However like I've said the only thing that concerns me, is if I drop Biology will they penalise me for it, and taking Geography to A2; especially since I'm aiming to study medicine. In my mind I'm wanting to do Maths, Chemistry and Geography, but the question about "should I really drop biology, when wanting to do medicine" keeps on cropping up! Yet, at the end of the day I have my 2 Sciences Maths and Chemistry, some universities even class Geography as a third science (but I don't believe this would be for medicine courses).

I thought most uni gives AAA offer?
Yes you might mostly get AAAB - but you won't know which subject the B will be in. So take 4 A2 might give more security.
OP, could you PM what you decide to do please? I'm starting AS this year, and you took exactly the same subbjects I've started and I am thinking about medicine for Uni. If next year, I end up with timetabling problems, what you end up doing could be very useful!
:smile:
Dropping Biology at AS means you cannot apply to Nottingham, Liverpool, Hull York, or East Anglia otherwise you're fine with every other medical school so it's really up to you at the end of the day.
I had the same problem as you OP! Could not decide on whether to drop Bio or Geog, but in the end I dropped Bio and it was the right decision. In my opinion, Geog is a lot easier this year than last year and Bio looks a lot harder, what with the synoptic and everything. And unis like you to have a subject that is a bit different to the others you study apparantly, like someone I know does Maths, Chemistry, Physics and French, just for a bit of variation!
Although it's hard, I would suggest dropping Geography as your three other subjects are directly relevant to the degree you want to study at University.
You seem really good at Geography, but I'd reccomend Biology as medicine is such a hard thing to get into, and Biology is much more medicine-like.
You could self teach yourself Geography, maybe?
It's a shame about timetabling issues though!
Reply 15
splee
I thought most uni gives AAA offer?
Yes you might mostly get AAAB - but you won't know which subject the B will be in. So take 4 A2 might give more security.

Both Leeds and Edinburgh give a AABb offer for medicine. The thing is if I did 4 also, they may specify the subjects if they were that cruel. Like AAA maths, biology and chemistry?
Reply 16
silk192
im sure medicine is biology related isnt it? if it is, you are bound to study it as part of your course so might as well get used to the subject now...stop looking for the easy way out....even if you dont need alot of points to get an A in geography, im sure if you work hard you will get the A in biology....

It's not about the easiest way at all; it's about having the best chance of getting the grades I need for a course which I am passionate about.
Reply 17
!MEna
Dropping Biology at AS means you cannot apply to Nottingham, Liverpool, Hull York, or East Anglia otherwise you're fine with every other medical school so it's really up to you at the end of the day.

Well the above medical schools I'm not applying for. I'm aiming for applying to Oxford, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Leeds. I think i'm likely to drop Biology, especially if its not going to effect my application to those medical schools. Have you done your UKCAT? Got your BMAT booked too? I'm going to have to go over GCSE Physics!!! Good luck with your UCAS application etc!
Reply 18
LeeJT
It's not about the easiest way at all; it's about having the best chance of getting the grades I need for a course which I am passionate about.

well at the end of the day its your decision...

Latest