The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Can we switch accommodations? I'll pay some on top...

Hi

Just found out that I won't be getting any on campus accommodation this year and I have to sort it out myself. I'm really not suited to living off-campus and can't stand the journey in the morning, even if its a short one.

I've just emailed the accommodation office to ask whether it would be possible to organise a switch with me if I can get someone to agree, and I'll call them on Monday to ask when they open.

If it is possible, would anyone be willing to do this with me? I'm looking for almost any accommodation that is nottingham university accommodation rather than private. So that includes Broadgate Park, University Park and Jubilee, and whatever else there is.

I'll be going to Nottingham to sort out private accomodation in a few days time, so let me know what accommodation you would be willing to switch for.

Please PM me if you're interested and we can discuss details. Thanks
You do know that a lot of private accommodation is just as close (in some cases closer) to campus as some of the university self-catered accommodation, if the journey is your main issue?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
It's mostly journey, and for that reason I'd prefer something in University Park, but also I think that dealing with a landlord, especially if something goes wrong, sounds like a bit of a hassle.
RachelBabyfrog
You do know that a lot of private accommodation is just as close (in some cases closer) to campus as some of the university self-catered accommodation, if the journey is your main issue?

Would you happen to know of any that are really close? I'd prefer halls or flats rather than a random house in the middle of nowhere...
Obviously it isn't ideal to be moving into private accommodation immediately as a fresher (are you a fresher?), but I'd imagine that the least likely place you'd end up at this stage is Uni Park.

I commented about the travel because I live extremely close to Broadgate Park, so it's just as convenient living in private accommodation as living in uni accommodation in my case. It takes me fifteen minutes walk to get to my department from my front door, which is pretty good, I think.

Dealing with landlords can be frustrating, but if you go through Unipol, you tend to do quite well. My landlady is excellent, having found her through Unipol...
zxcvbnmpoiuytrewq
Would you happen to know of any that are really close? I'd prefer halls or flats rather than a random house in the middle of nowhere...

I'm not sure about private halls and suchlike- I've only got experience of living in private rented houses I'm afraid, but I'm sure the uni accommodation service will try their best to help you find something you're happy with :smile:
Yes i am a fresher. Doesn't look like this is going to work... I guess I'll live with whatever I can get. Do you know how many freshers live in private accommodation?
Do you realize that it takes twice as much time to get from lectures to Broadgate Park than to private accommodation in Dunkirk for example?
Reply 8
Due to personal reasons, I'm living in privately rented accomodation tihs year and I have an hour to an hour and a half to travel every morning to get to university. So 15 mins to 30 mins isn't that bad. You'll probably get used to it after a while so it might be worth giving it a go first... might even work out cheaper.

For example, I now have a fully furnished flat with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, dining room, living room, kitchen and balcony. The room sizes are huge. Both bedrooms have a kingsize bed, 2 double wardrobes and plenty of floor space left. Fully inclusive of all bills such as broadband its costing me 600 - 650 a month, and now that i'm sharing it with somebody i know it makes it 300 to 325 a month each inclusive of all bills.

That's cheaper than a lot of uni accomodation and you get more privacy, bigger rooms, more freedom, no real rules (except i'm not allowed pets)....

It was going to cost me a little more than that in BGP for a bedroom, ensuite and a kitchen between 6 - 8 people. Plus, now I have my own washing machine and tumble dryer which is another expense down, i have parking facilities and i can stay local to my current employment.

My situation isn't for everyone, and I probably wouldn't have chosen it for myself if it wasn't for my circumstances. However, now that i've been here a month and have gotten used to it, I can't imagine ever having shared with so many new people or not having all this room to myself.

So have a real think about private accomodation before you rule it out. Like people have said, you might be just as close to uni any way.
Thanks for that useful info. That actually sounds like quite a good deal you've got!

My accommodation is almost sorted and its private, though not that close (in the further away bit of lenton). But it turns out that there are a lot of other freshers there and there are advantages to private like rules on guests etc., so I'm satisfied.
kit603
I'm living in privately rented accomodation tihs year and I have an hour to an hour and a half to travel every morning to get to university.

ouch why did you choose accommodation so far is it halfway to london or something?
Can I just point out that currently every hall is booked so you wanting to change rooms/accomodation isn't even feasible. Give it to the middle of first term and then consider changing. You should be aware however that'll there'll be an adminstrative fee and obviously the difference in the price of the rooms, and obviously if no one wants to budge from their room, there won't be any rooms available.
Hi mate,

if you want to live in broadgate contact "Lady Leviathan" urgently.

alternative see this thread...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=678621

Latest

Trending

Trending