The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DJkG.1

Can I ask which type of school you attend? If it’s not independent, your GCSEs may be in line with the highest achievers at your school which may not be all A*s, and your chances of Oxbridge are not reduced.

I didn't go to an independent school. A state school more like. But there's people that got waaaay better results than my mate, who's still gutted about it...
Reply 21
Helen_J
you'd think those clever enough to consider Oxford/Cambridge would have the sense to actually research things like this instead of making a-n-o-t-h-e-r thread on this exhausted topic

Not really. Because it's rather specific and includes the new A* grade.
Reply 22
I've said this so many times. If you make the interview ALL else goes out the window and all that matters is how intelligent you are and how much potential you have(they can tell this during the interview). They do however want AAA for almost all courses. As far as gcse is concerned though although it will inevitably be a deciding factor between to similar applicants when they are deciding who will be interviewed it is one of the least important factors.

I have poor gcses because of ill health and i've been told by countless oxford representatives that i should definately apply. Of course not all with poor gcses can blame severe ill health as i can but it should be remembered that not everyone with poor gcses is a delinquent. All the tsr nerds should try sitting gcses with cancer and we'll see how perfect they are then!!!!

A levels are the biggy. And with your gcses OP you should at least get to the interview stage as long as your AS levels and references are good and your personal statement demostrates intellect. GCSEs are th ticket to a levels and that's about it unless you're applying to LSE
Oxford admissions tutor

Most important is your score at interview, then your HAT
score, then your written work score; Tutors may
in addition take into account your AS results, predicted A2 results, GCSEs,
your school reference, your personal statement, etc......These things will only matter if you're a
borderline.

A borderline candidate would be
someone who had achieved good but not great scores in the HAT, written
work, and interview - there's no particular number to this, the
borderline is whether a particular college decides to make them an offer
of a place or not.

So basically, impress at interview.
Reply 24

this a joke? or for real
Hedgehunter
So you are saying, that if you go to an Independent school and are not amongst the best achievers at GCSE in your school you won't get in?

If the GCSE results at your school were above average, and you were among the best achievers, you have a better chance, but many students from public schools achieve very high grades too. It shouldn't matter what type of school you are from.
Reply 27
beautifulxlie
It shouldn't matter what type of school you are from.

Oh, but it does. Evidently, Cambridge has a scoring points system for GCSEs which adds points to applicants who've come from not so good schools.
Sk1lLz
Oh, but it does. Evidently, Cambridge has a scoring points system for GCSEs which adds points to applicants who've come from not so good schools.

This is crap. I go to an independent school which has one of the highest oxbridge admissions rates in the country (like 30% of the year i think). My head of sixth form recommended that I apply and I have a serious chance of getting in. If you look at my grades, I think you'll find your question answered.
Sk1lLz

And on the same page of that site it states that "if an applicant has below 80% in relevant AS modules and also a weak GCSE portfolio an interview is unlikely but even in this case particular circumstances and individual merits are taken into consideration."

By weak they mean a majority of Bs, Cs, Ds, Es etc. NOT As. Therefore, based on what I hear, do well at interview.

P.S. Going to a better school doesn't detract from your GCSE score. Going to a substandard school just means you'll get a few extra points.
Reply 30
Solid_Snake_100
This is crap. I go to an independent school which has one of the highest oxbridge admissions rates in the country (like 30% of the year i think). My head of sixth form recommended that I apply and I have a serious chance of getting in. If you look at my grades, I think you'll find your question answered.

Dude, those GCSEs that I mentioned are not far off yours. Can I ask which school you go/went to? Don't need to answer that. I know I wouldn't.
Reply 31
To be honest guys, I honestly think that the emphasis on GCSE grades will decrease this year because of the A* grade at A-level. If you're predicted straight A*s, then they can differentiate between each candidate more. Also, the exam boards are predicting that only 3,000 students will get 3A*s+ opposed to the 26,000 getting 3As+. A massive difference don't you think?

Oh, but it's not what I think. It's what they think.
Reply 32
Hedgehunter
So you are saying, that if you go to an Independent school and are not amongst the best achievers at GCSE in your school you won't get in?

There's the logic.
Reply 33
Solid_Snake_100
True but none of my AS UMS scores were that high either which means they will take GVSE's into more regard. I go to Haberdashers btw

Man. I'd love to go to your school. Perhaps they're trying to get everyone to apply so then they have more chance of more people getting in. Perhaps, though.
Sk1lLz
To be honest guys, I honestly think that the emphasis on GCSE grades will decrease this year because of the A* grade at A-level. If you're predicted straight A*s, then they can differentiate between each candidate more. Also, the exam boards are predicting that only 3,000 students will get 3A*s+ opposed to the 26,000 getting 3As+. A massive difference don't you think?

It's a completely pointless consideration anyway. As long as your grades are of a good standard you're fine. They differentiate between applicants by means of admissions tests, written work (when these are applicable) and primarily the interviews before they resort to grades.
Sk1lLz

They think they are not going to include them in offers in 2010, just see how it goes.
Reply 36
Solid_Snake_100

What constitutes to you having a 'serious chance'?
MarcusLL
What constitutes to you having a 'serious chance'?

As much as I dislike this fellow he has a point. No-one ever has a 'serious chance' prior to the admissions process. A reasonable chance, maybe, but not serious.
Reply 38
The best schools (including Private schools) won't get added scores because of the school they attended, but someone from a poor school, will get 4 Points added (quite a lot considering an A* is 1 point), so it's not as black and white as performing well on the country's standard. If you're one of the top achievers in your year, then as someone said you're very eligible for Oxbridge based on your GCSEs.
Reply 39
Hedgehunter
They think they are not going to include them in offers in 2010, just see how it goes.

They always say things like 'oh we wont include them in offers' and 'we dont care about GCSE grades' - the reason why they say these sort of things is because they cant look to be as if they're crowding out state school kids etc - just like LSE tries to cover the whole GCSE policy they've got going on there by vehemently denying it at open days.

Latest

Trending

Trending