The Student Room Group

confused - pharmacology vs medicine

I have wanted to do medicine for 3 years now and i was just filling in my ucas form today. i got bccd at as and am predicted BBB at A2. My original plan was to apply to 3 foundation courses in medicine (the 6 year ones) as i meet their requirements instead of the 5 year courses and if i got 3 rejections i would reapply or look for something in clearing. However yesterday i came across pharmacology and it seemed like a really really good and appealing degree and now im confused on what i should apply to do. I then thought about applying to 1 foundation course and 4 pharmacology and even 5 pharmacology but i have put so much bloody work into my med application. my friends and family think i should go down the pharmacology route. I tried weighing up pros and cons of each degree but i am now in between what i should do. My life would be less stressful and have a better quality of life if i was to do pharmacology but i know that im always going to have the naggign feeling about med and i will never be able to let med go like that. tbh out of the 3 foundation courses i only like 1 university and if i applied to pharmacology i could go wherever i wanted. what do you guys think i should do and do you reckon i have a decent chance of getting a place for med on the foundation courses as there are 65 places between all 3 choices? I am also worried that i will find med too hard and drop out half way through the degree because it is really intense. I just don't know what to do. Also what sorts of careers can you do after a degree in pharmacology because ive looked in prospectuses but they dont really say much and would any uni accept me for pharmacology if i have a medicine tailored personal statement
Reply 1
I had a medicine tailored personal statement and i got into pharmacy but not into any of the four med unis i applied to.

I'm not sure about pharmacology, but you mainly do research work if you graduate source:
http://www.ca.courses-careers.com/pharmacology.htm

""""A wide variety of career options are open to those with pharmacology qualifications:

Drug hunting in the pharmaceutical industry involves research at the cutting edge of many aspects of biology using the most modern techniques and facilities.
Basic or applied biology research in Universities and other institutions covers areas as diverse as AIDS, cancer and Alzheimer's dementia.
Clinical research takes drugs from the laboratory into the clinic and establishes the effectiveness of medicines in patients.
Product registration, pharmaceutical sales and information science also provide fascinating career options for pharmacologists.
Pharmacology provides a broad scientific training and pharmacologists also work in legal environments (e.g. patents), regulatory bodies, the financial sector, teaching, general management and general science."""""

So it's likely you will get a pharmacology place, but i'm not certain.

I think med is the most competitive (other than the languages/english) - whichever route you take.

It took me a while but for the same reason as you "My life would be less stressful and have a better quality of life" i decided i'd just go for pharmacy. It's well paced and it has flexible job opportunities.

If you're really into biochemistry, pharmacology is great for you so just go for it! :]
Reply 2
i'm in the SAME position as you...im in the position wher eim too smart for access course buh nt smart enuf for medicine. i got BBBC for my AS levles doin chem bio drama maths and i will probs get predicted ABB/AAB for A2....i'd rather relax and get those grades then push hard for medicine...i'd think i will enjoy pharmacology better and have a better quality of life...im applyin at manc,liv,kcl,ucl and bristol all need min BBB which i can defo get and so could you!
gm88
However yesterday i came across pharmacology and it seemed like a really really good and appealing degree and now im confused on what i should apply to do. I then thought about applying to 1 foundation course and 4 pharmacology and even 5 pharmacology but i have put so much bloody work into my med application. my friends and family think i should go down the pharmacology route. I tried weighing up pros and cons of each degree but i am now in between what i should do. My life would be less stressful and have a better quality of life if i was to do pharmacology but i know that im always going to have the naggign feeling about med and i will never be able to let med go like that. tbh out of the 3 foundation courses i only like 1 university and if i applied to pharmacology i could go wherever i wanted. what do you guys think i should do and do you reckon i have a decent chance of getting a place for med on the foundation courses as there are 65 places between all 3 choices? I am also worried that i will find med too hard and drop out half way through the degree because it is really intense. I just don't know what to do. Also what sorts of careers can you do after a degree in pharmacology because ive looked in prospectuses but they dont really say much and would any uni accept me for pharmacology if i have a medicine tailored personal statement

in 2005 i applied to 3 pharmacology and 3 medicine. Went for an interview for one of the Med app, failed it. Got 3 unconditional offers for all 3 of the pharmacology. i was thinking the same thing as u mentioned above. then i decided to go for Pharmacy instead as it's a mix of both courses i was interested in. so i wrote to the Pharmacy department of my current uni, they said they're happy to accpet me ( i was on differed entry) so i apply through clearing and i got in. Now im in 2nd year, and i'm loving it. i get to know about lots of drugs and how drugs work in human body. And i know i'l have a pretty decent job with less stress once i graduate.:biggrin:
Virginia.C

It took me a while but for the same reason as you "My life would be less stressful and have a better quality of life" i decided i'd just go for pharmacy. It's well paced and it has flexible job opportunities.

:eek: i thought the same too !!

Latest

Trending

Trending