The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I agree that sometimes predicted grades aren't the best way of judging things e.g I was only predicted ABBC and ended up with AAAB, so if I would have applied for an AAA course I would have obviously have been rejected when I did actually make the course.
However, I would assume that Universities take into account your AS grades, what your personal statement says, the usual trend that people work harder at A2 if they have an offer, if your reference explains mitigating circumstances etc, and judge themselves whether you will get the grades, so they aren't the be all and end all of recieving offers. I've never had predicted grades more than a grade either way.
Meteorshower
Actually all my teachers this year bar one haven't taught me before.
But i see your point. I think there will always be teachers like that who will only predict what they think, but there will also be those who as Dijobla said predict higher than they probably should.

No, I mean from AS to A2....

They teach you for AS, predict your A2 grade to go on your UCAS application, and then teach you for A2. Yes?
Reply 62
OriginofSymmetry
It isn't fair to us Scots. Our Highers are harder than your AS levels.

(I think.)

No they arn't, an Advanced Higher is about an equivilent to an A-level, A-level being slightly harder....so AS and Higher are roughly the same as a Higher. GF did highers, i do A-levels :smile:
Reply 63
Predicted grades are a throwback to when I did my A levels. There were no AS levels, you just got on with it and usually did your exams all at the end of the 2nd year of 6th form (sciences are the exception as they've been modular for donkey's years). There were usually no objective AS level exam results to go with an application... so teacher's predictions were all unis had to go on grade wise.
Oxy
No they arn't, an Advanced Higher is about an equivilent to an A-level, A-level being slightly harder....so AS and Higher are roughly the same as a Higher. GF did highers, i do A-levels :smile:

I'm sorry but A levels are not harder than advanced highers, that's rubbish. Highers are harder than As levels aswell. 10% of the A level taking population get's straight As at A level (If i'm wrong, then fair enough) while 2% get straight As at higher. Don't know have statistics for advanced higher but maths being the only subject with a textbook doesn't really help (plus oxbridge reckon they're harder)
yeah there really annoying. I ust got my AS results, did ok, a lot better then my friends...poor guys/gals.:frown:

But i got ABCC, now i really need to be predicted ABB so i can apply for the UNis I'm interested in( well actually i think BBB is ok for some of them but the point is no C). I'm going to talk to my chem teacher and hope i can convince him to predict me a B, I'm hoping so since he knows i have the potential, i just spent too much time revising biology to guarantee that A and i think i didn't realise just how much i needed to know.
Yes because some predicted grades are just utter ********.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=14292131#post14292131

Predicted AAA with BBC but i was predicted A A/B A/B with AAB (and that B will easily become an A)..........

If there was a uniform method of doing it then fair enough but some colleges/sixth forms take advantage of it
Meteorshower
I'm sorry but A levels are not harder than advanced highers, that's rubbish. Highers are harder than As levels aswell. 10% of the A level taking population get's straight As at A level (If i'm wrong, then fair enough) while 2% get straight As at higher. Don't know have statistics for advanced higher but maths being the only subject with a textbook doesn't really help (plus oxbridge reckon they're harder)

Thank you for winning my battle before it had begun :yep:

Pfft, English ignorance :p:
Reply 68
Meteorshower

Im sorry but you cant just lay all that down to Advanced Highers being harder. Another thing is you can take more highers than A-levels, normally its 3 oe 4 A-levels where as Higher is about 5-6 so time is spent spread across more subjects am i right?..saying that Adv Highers/ Highers are harder because less people get straight A's is rubbish :smile:
Oxy
Im sorry but you cant just lay all that down to Advanced Highers being harder. Another thing is you can take more highers than A-levels, normally its 3 oe 4 A-levels where as Higher is about 5-6 so time is spent spread across more subjects am i right?

You have to take 5 subjects in 5th year (12th for you)

Highers are what we do instead of your AS levels, not A levels.

the average amount of advanced highers people took last year (this only includes people taking at least one) was about 1.5 Very very few people do more than 3 (last year about a 100) I know that doesn't prove anything but it's not like we all do 5 or 6 advanced highers. In 5th year we don't have any free periods so that's why can do so much.
Reply 70
Ryanhickman90
No, I mean from AS to A2....

They teach you for AS, predict your A2 grade to go on your UCAS application, and then teach you for A2. Yes?

mine didn't - half the school leaves after AS for getting all U's then they have to merge classes to save money. all my teachers were different, and made predictions based on guesswork

predicted grades are a stupid system definately - some schools predict 1 higher than AS, some the same. the unis shoudl take little from it, and i think in reality only use it to ensure that they don't make too many offers that people will meet (thus oversubscribing their course).
Oxy
saying that Adv Highers/ Highers are harder because less people get straight A's is rubbish :smile:

No it isn't. Unless you believe that Scottish students aren't as intelligent than English students. It's measuring thousands of pupil's grades, not one school's.
Reply 72
Predicted grades are a ridiculous idea. Teachers are supposed to inspire you to get the TOP grades, not limit you to some grade based on previous marks. EVERYONE should be aiming for straight A's and it's the teachers job to make you BELIEVE that you can do that, not reel off stuff out of a textbook. Where's the passion???
What's the use in believing something if it isn't realisticly going to happen :s-smilie:
Reply 74
hixey101
Predicted grades are a ridiculous idea. Teachers are supposed to inspire you to get the TOP grades, not limit you to some grade based on previous marks. EVERYONE should be aiming for straight A's and it's the teachers job to make you BELIEVE that you can do that, not reel off stuff out of a textbook. Where's the passion???

agreed, i have been given predicted grades that don't help me what so ever

had a ********* up AS year, but i know i can do much much much better

all seems lost at the moment :bawling:
hixey101

I agree with what your saying but the way some teachers do this just takes the piss. I got predicted A A/B A/B from AAAB at As level whereas others who get BBC or worse get predicted AAA. Where's the justice in that? If teachers are going to predict over optimistically then every teacher should do this otherwise it puts the ones who have worked their asses off at a disadvantage because their offer, which they could have met, is given to someone who has no hope in hell of getting.
I agree in the idea of a predicted grade, but don't think it's working at the moment, with one teacher predicting, some are pessemistic other optomistic, it should be done via submitted classwork and homework and exams by the college department, then that would make it a little more fair, for example my current law teacher has predicted me A / B although i got an A in two AS modules, one was 100% and a B (one ums off an A in the other), whereas, having been told by members of another teachers group their predictions are higher across the board, it's just madness that universities are able to see a view of your performance held by one person, who may not mark fairly (in either direction).
Reply 77
AS grades should be used. Or GCSEs. I don't see any reason why not.
Reply 78
if you believe in anything enough, and are dedicated to it you can do it. end of story.
LaSagna
AS grades should be used. Or GCSEs. I don't see any reason why not.

GCSE's should definately not be used the way they are at the moment.
i was shown according to this graph, that i had something like a 10% chance of getting a C for A2 in maths by my GCSE results, even though i got an A* in it at GCSE. i achieved recently AB in maths/futher maths A level.

this is because it doesnt take into account the GCSE's you did, just the Grades. i got a C in art, latin, french, biology and english literature, which lowered my average for GCSE, but also got A's in Chemistry, Physics and Electronic product which are more mathematical.

Latest

Trending

Trending