The Student Room Group

wot d'u rekon?

ok, so i got 9a's at gcse, aaaa at as, but just bbc at a level (messed about n dat)

so i didnt get da grades for lesta or l.pool

so i applied again but to crappa unis dat i dont even wana go realy. no wat i mean? but i mean med is med init so i wil go if i get offas coz at da end of da day i wana be a doc. but da one i wud realy wana go is sheffield.

i got da work experience and i stil volunteer now and agen, im predicted aaa and i got a sik ps and reference, im top at football n other sports n dat too i do alot of dat stuf. so extra curricularly (if dats even a word) im quite good. but ppl who have experience with sheff...du rekon i got a chance ?

safe.
"to crappa unis dat i dont even wana go realy"

don't go then, if that is opinion of the places you've applied i don't think they would want you.

where have you applied?

if being a doctor is all you want to do why did you mess around at A2?

at the end of the day you've got to be in it to win it, you stand just a good enough chance as everyone.

as for sheffield the ratio of applicants per place is 17:1 (or something very similiar), so if your ps is that 'sik' (not sure what that means) who knows you might get to the interview stage.
good luck
Reply 2
Sheffield has the 2nd highest applicant to places ratio, so it's very tough.

Where else did you apply to?
Reply 3
I would recomend that you retake you A2's because unfortunately most if not all medschools are unlikely to accept you with those grades. There is a chance but I would say it is quite a small one sorry. I really would recomend that you do some resits if you are really serious about medicine.
Reply 4
duude
ok, so i got 9a's at gcse, aaaa at as, but just bbc at a level (messed about n dat)

so i didnt get da grades for lesta or l.pool

so i applied again but to crappa unis dat i dont even wana go realy. no wat i mean? but i mean med is med init so i wil go if i get offas coz at da end of da day i wana be a doc. but da one i wud realy wana go is sheffield.

i got da work experience and i stil volunteer now and agen, im predicted aaa and i got a sik ps and reference, im top at football n other sports n dat too i do alot of dat stuf. so extra curricularly (if dats even a word) im quite good. but ppl who have experience with sheff...du rekon i got a chance ?

safe.

If you speak in the same way you type you have no chance. You sound like a tosser.
Reply 5
There are so many hard working ppl, who would give anything to be a doctor, - especially on these boards =then someone like u comes a long. Sort yourself out dude
Reply 6
duude
but ppl who have experience with sheff...du rekon i got a chance ?

I guess that'd be me then :rolleyes:

I don't really understand exactly what you're doing at the moment. You got BBC in your A levels, OK. You've applied to 'less competitive unis'. BUT, there's no way you'll get accepted to medicine with BBC so I assume you haven't applied for medicine?? And you're 'predicted AAA' so I assume you're also retaking your A levels as well?? Sorry, I don't think I've really understood you.
As someone's already pointed out, Sheffield is very very very competitive. You need to have a FANTASTIC personal statement, which I assume you have (I'm sorry, I don't know what 'sik' means) and I have to say that volunteering 'occasionally' is not enough. I hope you've phrased it better than that on your PS and that you've got good work experience.

If you want more info about Sheffield in particular (I sit on the Sheffield interview panel apart from the obvious) PM me.
Reply 7
i rekon your crusin into a medical school no prob especially with a sik ps! stopp messin chatting and hit da books get da grades and the stethescopes yo Dadday! :smile:

Best of Luck
Reply 8
I 'rekon' the closest your going to get to medical school and doctors is when you get taken away by the men in white coats and sectioned.
Reply 9
Daveo
I 'rekon' the closest your going to get to medical school and doctors is when you get taken away by the men in white coats and sectioned.

lol, bit harsh! :biggrin:
Reply 10
If you speak in the same way you type you have no chance. You sound like a tosser.

How do they sound like a tosser? Cos they don't type/speak in full proper English? That statement makes u sound like a tosser

so if your ps is that 'sik' (not sure what that means) who knows you might get to the interview stage.

lol sik means good, excellent kinda thing

Have you re-applied to lesta and liverpool?
Reply 11
Dear lord :y: i did not for once think how one types would would have such an influence on how one is judged (on an internet forum)..so i'll type properly for now

I have applied to HYMS, Sheffield, Peninsula and Liverpool.
Today i recieved an interview invitation from Liverpool (with whom i held an offer last year, im chuffed (delighted) because i'd love to go there). I have not yet heard from the other 3 universities.

'to crapper unis that i dont even want to go really'

- oops, maybe shouldn't have said this, but what i mean is that they are not the unis i really wanted to go to, initially, i applied to these simply because they take resit students, (apart from liverpool which i genuinely like)

Ofcourse I am resitting, (hence a prediction of aaa).

And i don't understand what people mean by stop messing around :secruity: ..i am taking this very seriously. Ok so i did mess around last year, but everybody makes mistakes and that was my major one. Im grafting like mad (working very hard) to get the grades in January. Thanks for the responses.
Reply 12
Right, that makes more sense, thanks for clarifying :wink: So, what you're saying is you'd love to go to Liverpool or Sheffield but not Peninsula or HYMS?? Fair enough.
I wasn't judging you in any way - as it happens, I am a retaker myself (and I got the same grades as you the first time round) and I got offers from Liverpool, Leicester and Sheffield when I reapplied. So you clearly do have a chance.
Just make sure you're really well prepared for your Liverpool interview (and any other interviews you happen to get) - in particular, make sure that you've got a good answer prepared for if they ask you why you didn't get the grades first time round. At Sheffield, we like hearing that you were so involved with extracurricular activities and work experience etc that you didn't pay enough attention to your academic work, but you've learned from your mistake and now you've learned both how to work effectively and how to manage your time.

Any other questions about Sheffield, PM me. Good luck :smile:
Reply 13
my mate goes to liverpool 2nd year now , resat after getting BCC last year and applied to them again coz she held an offer there previously and got an offer for BBB (as a bloody resit), so ace the interview and you maybe in for chance of a reduced offer.
i do hope it goes well for you!
my worst nightmare is to get a conditional offer first time round and muck up my final year!!!
i admire your strength in re-applying and going through this a second time round, it must be worse as a resitter
p.s. its Leicester...when i see Lesta it really does irritate me something awful!
Anita...what were the entrance grades like 4/5 years ago when you applied? Has it become easier or harder to get into medicine, in your opinion?

Latest