The Student Room Group

Philosophy Help

Hey, I just started AS and We've had our first philosophy essay question thing set.
I was just wondering if there was any particular way to set out a philosophy essay / answer a question.
Is it a bit like English with Introduction, parag1 parag2 etc, Conclusion, or is there a better way to line out your points?

oh and the questions [just incase people wanted to know, i mean this as more of a general thing] are:

1. On what grounds could you argue that this parrot is a person?
2. Is this parrot a person?

thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
is that smosh? lol

i don't know about the essay, what's the question?
Reply 2
imtired
is that smosh? lol

i don't know about the essay, what's the question?

Smosh?

Erm, it's basically an article about how this parrot learnt how to talk, and the first question/mini-essay ting is "Describe how it's a human" and then the second question is "Is it a human?"
i think.
Well, in a more complex way of writing things but you know :P
Reply 3
SiaSiaSia
Smosh?

Erm, it's basically an article about how this parrot learnt how to talk, and the first question/mini-essay ting is "Describe how it's a human" and then the second question is "Is it a human?"
i think.

Well for starters a parrot isn't a human just because it can 'talk'! Televisions can "talk" (make human-like noises) but that doesn't make them human animals.

Perhaps the question is whether the parrot can be a person? John Locke wrote (roughly) that a parrot which had the mind of a human would be a person, whereas a man with the brain of a parrot would not be a person. Is it about that?

More generally, philosophy essays can be constructed in all sorts of ways. But you should always consider the arguments made by the main writers on the topic. Whilst it is important to do some of your own thinking, and link ideas together in novel ways, you shouldn't try to solve the problems yourself at first. You'll just be re-inventing the wheel as someone else WILL have thought of anything you come up with if it has any merit.

Good luck with that!
Reply 4
Cognito
Well for starters a parrot isn't a human just because it can 'talk'! Televisions can "talk" (make human-like noises) but that doesn't make them human animals.

Perhaps the question is whether the parrot can be a person? John Locke wrote (roughly) that a parrot which had the mind of a human would be a person, whereas a man with the brain of a parrot would not be a person. Is it about that?

More generally, philosophy essays can be constructed in all sorts of ways. But you should always consider the arguments made by the main writers on the topic. Whilst it is important to do some of your own thinking, and link ideas together in novel ways, you shouldn't try to solve the problems yourself at first. You'll just be re-inventing the wheel as someone else WILL have thought of anything you come up with if it has any merit.

Good luck with that!

ermm hang on i'll get the proper question i'm not explaining myself very well :biggrin:
"On what grounds could you argue that this parrot is a person"

Thanks for the help, I'll try and take it on board and include it :biggrin:.
Do an introduction firstly.

The second paragraph explain how a parrot could be argued as human e.g. the ability to interact and whatever else.

The third parangraph you should put in the counter arguments for example, it may be able to speak, but it does not fully understand it, bring rational thought and conscience into it, which supposedly only humans possess, basically define what being a person is, and play off that, the characteristics which humans possess that parrots do not.

Then maybe a summary, weighing up your evidence, at such an early stage in philosophy it's hard to come up with some amazing arguments, just stick to what you know best until you develop your philosophical understanding.

Trust me, the essays will get more interesting than that :biggrin:
introduction

outline argument with illustrations

counter arguments

defence of argument

conclusion
SiaSiaSia
Smosh?

i think.

Just hit your philosophy teacher with a load of evolutionary biology. Science and common sense is the best way with these sorts of questions. If you have to talk about particular philosophers, just mention how they are wrong.
SiaSiaSia
ermm hang on i'll get the proper question i'm not explaining myself very well :biggrin:
"On what grounds could you argue that this parrot is a person"

Thanks for the help, I'll try and take it on board and include it :biggrin:.

start with the different definitions of 'person'. Always state your initial definitions and work from there.
Reply 9
England Captain
Just hit your philosophy teacher with a load of evolutionary biology. Science and common sense is the best way with these sorts of questions. If you have to talk about particular philosophers, just mention how they are wrong.

:five:

Add an artifical conclusion at the end where all the different viewpoints are meshed into one.
Reply 10
cool thanks everyone :biggrin:

oh and the writer is just the BBC website...

Latest