The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dr. Blazed
I think I've grasped most of the introductory ideas about the subject, so I was really looking for something a little more meaty. But thanks for trying, anyway.

My library will order me anything I need. :biggrin:

Lucky bastard :biggrin: Go forth and make them order you enormous linguistics books!

If you're interested in English historically, 'English: A Historical Introduction' is good.

I'll stop trying now! :biggrin:
Reply 21
I'm doing French at A2, taking it to degree level along with Russian, but there are a few more languages I'd like to learn in future....

Portuguese (any excuse for a holiday)
Swahili
Italian
Czech
Hey,

I am currently doing a BA in Spanish and Italian at Sussex University (after having done A Levels in those two languages) and I did French AS last year. I would also like to improve on my minimal knowledge of German and Portuguese in the near future. Not too sure about Oriental/Asian language, although I do have an Arabic dictionary and an Urdu/Hindi phrasebook :biggrin:

OK, c ya,

Jordan :biggrin:
Reply 23
i want to learn hindi properly at some point. IMO it's the most beautiful of the indian languages. i might pick up french as well...i found i picked up little bits just by being around my flatmates who do french, and being in france, albeit in a predominantly english-speaking area
Reply 24
Ive studied both Russian and Spanish at University and I am currently learning Chinese on my own (as I live in China). It's proved to be difficult so far, but I have just recently hired a tutor, so hopefully this will speed things up.

I would also like to learn Swahili and Arabic one day, as well as the remaining romance languages.
Reply 25
General linguistic competence:
French
Spanish
Arabic
Hindi
Mandarin

Literary:
Italian
Russian
German
Japanese
Czech
Portuguese
Farsi
Turkish
Latin
Ancient Greek
Sanskrit
Old English
Irish

Curiosity:
Cornish (Aphex!)
Icelandic (Sigur!)
Tlingit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlingit_language)
Indo-European
Egyptian
Esperanto
C++

But I want them implanted a la Trinity in The Matrix.

But I want them implanted a la Trinity in The Matrix.

It really would be so cool if you could just *learn* langauges like that, don't you think?
I study French and Spanish at AS, i will take Spanish on to A2 but im going 2 drop French :frown: I just find it very difficult, have lost the passion for it and have no intention of taking it on!

However i really want to do Spanish at Uni, probably with a non-language subject (history maybe), so will only having 1 language at A2 be OK??
brokenurservant
I study French and Spanish at AS, i will take Spanish on to A2 but im going 2 drop French :frown: I just find it very difficult, have lost the passion for it and have no intention of taking it on!

However i really want to do Spanish at Uni, probably with a non-language subject (history maybe), so will only having 1 language at A2 be OK??

It should be fine, especially as you'll have French at AS. I'm hoping to apply for joint French and Spanish (with the Spanish ab-initio) at uni and I don't have any other language apart from French at GCSE, let alone AS! I'm hoping the excuse that you can only do one at my school and I'm teaching myself a bit of Spanish and Italian will make it OK.
Reply 29
I've applied for French and German - I'm doing both at A-level as well as Foundation Italian GCSE which I started this year.
I'm interested in learning some Dutch...and I've found out that my firm choice offers some modules in Yiddish - sounds cool! Hehe!
Reply 30
I speak fluent Spanish and English and know a bit of French and Japanese (at good GCSE level) and would like to improve those two... maybe afterwards I'll study German or Chinese!
Studying french for A2, did japanese for GCSE got an A* and continuing it at uni. spoke spanish when i was little and trying to learn russian at the mo. i agree too many languages too little time!
Reply 32
I speak fluent Finnish, English, Swedish and Spanish.
Conversational French and Italian.
Basics of Mandarin Chinese, Malay, Maltese and all latin derived languages.
I applied for Manchester, Birmingham, UCL (conditional), Leeds (unsuccessful) and Portsmouth (unconditional).
Reply 33
Eeee I already posted on here :smile: oops!
Doing German A-level now, continuing it at uni and starting Italian there too. Did AS Latin. Speak a little French (enough to get by in France without looking a total idiot :rolleyes: ). Also know my numbers in Welsh and Spanish! Helpful... Want to learn Hungarian, Dutch and Spanish and be far better at French than I am now. Arrgh!
Reply 35
I'm doing French and Spanish at GCSE, got my Latin GCSE last year. I hope to take a GCSE in Polish when I'm in 6th form, and I want to learn Italian and study Ancient Greek at some point too...
Doing German GCSE now, and starting A Level next year, have just started teaching myself Welsh and Italian, and I think I want to do Spanish or Russian at Uni (as well as German). I want to be fluent in all of them, but that's probably a bit too ambitious!
Reply 37
its not that ambitious...if u study 2 languages at uni you'll get to a pretty decent standard. plenty of unis will have extra diploma courses where u can learn other languages. take a gap year and use it to improve ur language skills as much as possible....you can get a job in germany quite easily and pick up soo much while you're there
Currently I speak, in order of level,
French (doing at uni)
Russian (doing at uni)
Italian (doing at uni)
Spanish (did to A-Level)
Japanese (Did at uni for a half year)
Czech (Doing at uni)
Notice a trend? :biggrin:
I intend in future to learn
Finnish
Estonian
Hungarian
Turkish
Korean
Just all 4 of the Finno-Ugrics then! At least they'll complement each other. This is because I have interest in these countries; Finland is just cool :biggrin:
I also have constructed languages of my own
Kenraí
Nloreti
Sonica

If anyone here would like me to teach any basic Czech (yes I know we have Monii here as well) or anything else lemme know; or even if you want to learn Kenraí you're welcome :biggrin:
Reply 39
At present I speak:

Russian (native)
English
German
French
Lithuanian

Hope to take up in the nearest future:

Spanish
Japanese
Italian

btw, I am ready to help with Russian if anyone is interested :smile: