Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

typical day in tax/audit internship

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what a typical day would consist of during a summer internship in audit/tax? What tasks/projects do you get involved in?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if the summer placement is much like first couple of months as a new grad student, but my experience a few weeks in has been a lot of photocopying, checking company invoices to see if they match up with their reported income/expenses, doing bits and pieces for the udit seniors and generally being the 'help', oh and using SAGE quite a bit. Not sure about tax tho tbh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    first of all, i hope it is not for an internship application

if it is, then here goes .... lol : all i did on my tax internship with kpmg was go to arrival/departure meetings to clients who were migrating elsewhere or were coming to the uk to work for a few months, shadowing partners in other divisions to get to know all areas of the firm, learning about the culture of the firm, retrieving data from HMRC to help complete tax returns for companies/individuals, using software such as Digita and Excel to run macros and get daily statistics for wotever it is ur doing, uploading data onto the firms online database for clients, and then theres the chilling sessions and pub which accounted for 80% of the time

for audit, you go to client meetings and actually 'work'. i'd go for tax if i were you, out the office by 5.30pm, and u get more than audit as a grad if u get the grad offer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do your own application for deloitte.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Tax internship:
    - Writing 64-8's
    - Writing/revising letters
    - Photocopying/scanning
    - Revising tax comps
    - Basically learning to use AlphaTax
    - Some partner/manager shadowing.

I dare you to use my exact wording in your application. They'll ask you what u know about AlphaTax, 64-8's, CT6000's etc and it'll go down even better if ur company doesn't use it. Read the company website for application content.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just trying to think who you are sul...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: September 11, 2008
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.