The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Stabbings in Sheffield and Postcode Gangs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mtbab

and it was literally like 1 person was shot the year before and the next year 2 were shot major increase lol. .

100% rise in gun crime!??!!!!! :eek: :eek:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 21
lol there are two groups of kids that are trying to be postcode gangs - the S3 and S6 lot. They hate students aparantly according to the graffetti on their own walls but meh. Its down by opal 2 but you never see them - at least i never have, and theyve never done jack cos theyre 12yrs old and have to be in bed for 9 lol.
Reply 22
S18 massive, aii?
a mate of mine was hassled by a somali gang in Broomhall, and i wouldn't walk through Manor alone/at night, but in the student areas of crookes/broomhill/eccleshall road, keep your wits about you as you should do anywhere and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 23
I did work experience at a primary school in the Manor area.
All the kids were mini-gangsters. On my last day one of them said I was "well gangster". I think this meant cool. I felt accepted. :p:
The end.
LOL when I read this i was like :s-smilie: I would be spending my uni life inside!!!
I live in the s6 area. it's not so bad, 12 year olds doing graffiti and throwing stones at our window the other day's the worst i've known about! Apparently they were throwing stones because we wouldn't let them come in & play guitar hero :rolleyes:
i live in S10 Broomhall and i definitely know there is an S10 gang there(ranging from 12-25 years old). however, this gang does tend to do more black-on-black crime with other wannabe gangs...
Reply 27
RocketTown
yeah never heard of this happening anywhere in sheffield... there are the odd somali gang around but they stick to themselves as far as i know. I've definitely never heard of any postcode gangs anywhere outside of london.

27pence - where did you hear that from?

It happened in the middle of embrace two or three times last year! But I don't know where they generally operate. It's not as dangerous as Birmingham or London, certainly, but at the same time it's sure as hell not the 'safest city in the UK'.
Reply 28
Dionysus
It happened in the middle of embrace two or three times last year! But I don't know where they generally operate. It's not as dangerous as Birmingham or London, certainly, but at the same time it's sure as hell not the 'safest city in the UK'.

Actually, statistically, it is!

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Sheffield-is-39the-safest-city.826967.jp
Reply 29
If you read it carefully, what it actually says is that South Yorkshire is the safest place in the UK. The Star have therefore deduced that Sheffield is the safest city, which is pretty poor logic. It just isn't the safest. Surely nobody seriously believes it is safer than somewhere like Wells, or St Davids!!? I'd say it's probably the safest of the top few cities, though.
Reply 30
jaydoh
It is a traditionally Northern, predominantly working-class industrial city just like Manchester or Leeds so there's going to be a high proportion of immigration which in turn breeds a high proportion of drugs and gun-crime therefore equalling the deaths of people caught up in gang violence. Tell me if my logic is flawed?

Well there's just the one little thing - the pull of London is incredibly strong, huge amounts of immigrants flock there or in the suburbs.
Reply 31
Dionysus
If you read it carefully, what it actually says is that South Yorkshire is the safest place in the UK. The Star have therefore deduced that Sheffield is the safest city, which is pretty poor logic. It just isn't the safest. Surely nobody seriously believes it is safer than somewhere like Wells, or St Davids!!? I'd say it's probably the safest of the top few cities, though.

I think you're taking it a bit too literally. Tiny cities like the ones you've mentioned shouldn't really count for the purposes of this discussion. Yeah, fair enough, technically they're safer cities, but when you think of a city you think of somewhere with a few hundred thousand people :p:

I think compared to larger cities, and cities of a comparable size, Sheffield is definitely up there. I'm not saying crime doesn't exist there, but it's certainly lower than the average.
Reply 32
27pence
oh right because on the news an 18 year old was murdered last night in the Parson cross area, they then did a five minute report on the various stabbings in sheffield and then about a lad who was having his hair cut and got shot in the head in july, and another about a boy who got stabbed to death and was fround in a park, and then there was a stabbing in a night club (BBC news)

Ahh, I knew the guy. He got his comeuppance.

As for the postcode gangs, they do exist but they tend to stay within their "S-Code". This basically applies to the Parsons Cross, Foxhill, Manor and Spital Hill areas and with the exception of the latter, I doubt you'd end up going to these places anyway.
Reply 33
Anyone up for the formation of the S10 Massive? Innit blud?
Dionysus
If you read it carefully, what it actually says is that South Yorkshire is the safest place in the UK. The Star have therefore deduced that Sheffield is the safest city, which is pretty poor logic.

They tend to do that and forget about the other good parts of South Yorkshire :wink:
Reply 35
To be realistic, crime happens everywhere. There was a stabbing round the corner from me in Hunters Bar last week, that was more the result of a bar brawl there. But there's been a fair few over the years...it just happens I guess. Sheffield is generally lower in crime rate to other major cities tho I guess...but you can't expect it to be 100% safe.
Hunters Bar and Broomhill are very safe.
i have to say i feel extremely safe walking in hunters bar / broomhill.... and yanno your right next to hospitals. so in theory you should be fine haha :smile:
Reply 38
Have people been stabbed here? I didn't even know!
Wherever they are, they're not near where I live... Which is around the Hunters Bar area.
Surely it happens everywhere anyway, and it's as much risky in Sheffield as any other British city
Reply 39
Has anyone noticed how class the Balti King is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending