The Student Room Group

Aeronautical Engineering or Civil Engineering?

Hi all..

I'm just looking for people's opinions on what type of engineering would be better for me to look into for university.

I started my A levels today (maybe ages till uni, but i think better to know earlier :p: ):

Going to be studying the following:

AS/A2 Maths (Needed for all engineering)
AS/A2 Physics (Needed for engineering?)

A Levels - Media (total different course - mainly for seeing if it is interesting :o:)

Could anyone tell me what grades i would need to gt in Maths and Physics to study either Aeronautical Engineering or Civil Engineering?

And is maths and physics enough to study either civil or aeronautical?

Also..what would you guys and girls recommend me to study in uni?
Aeronautical or Civil

I wanted to do Aeronautical Engineering for several years now, but since reading several forums, i have now been told that Civil engineering is better as there is a more broad range of jobs ect...

Jonathan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
whats the difference?......regarding the grades research the unis and see what they require as different unis have different entry requirements...
Reply 2
thanks for the reply..also is anyone able to list good uni's for either civil and aernautical engineering? Are there any in london?
You'd be much better off doing another AS subject such as chemistry. But really, maths and physics is the way to go for almost all engineering.
Do aeronautical if thats what you're interested in! But, as a chance to really see, think about a Headstart course which I did and it really gives you a taste!
grades-wise: totally depends on where your applying I mean oxbridge is obviously AAA but there are a lot of unis about with much much much lower requirements. And depends if you do a BEng (3 years) or MEng (4 years)
Hope that helped!
...CoNfUsEd...
thanks for the reply..also is anyone able to list good uni's for either civil and aernautical engineering? Are there any in london?

Are there any in london?
Do your research man! There are loads. I think Imperial is probably the best one, but whatever.
Best way to find all the answers is to just go on some websites
Try:
www.ox.ac.uk
www.ic.ac.uk
www.bristol.ac.uk
www.soton.ac.uk

or just google it!! (these are some of the best ones so grades will be higher)
You'd be far better off if you studied either or both of further maths and chemistry instead of media studies.
Most of what has been said has been covered but speaking as someone doing a Civil Engineering degree (having sometimes thought what it would have been like doing Mechanical Engineering instead), the only person who can decide which course is yourself. As you have just started your A levels, you have still got plenty of time to decide, so you should spend time deciding which course you want to do, rather than rushing into it.

As for entry grades, you are best looking at the websites of the universities you are interested in. For a master's degree (in Civil Engineering) my offers were generally 2 As and B. Some also specified an A in Maths, so i would consider this the most important course to take. Physics is also very useful, as is taking Mechanics as an option in Maths.

As for media, you're probably better doing something thats more related to engineering.
Reply 7
Hi

Ive just gone through Welbeck which is a technical college to send us to university to do engineering specifically. I'm doing mechanical engineering, but i applied for civil and i have mates doing areonautical.

Bottom line is, look into the subjects and see what you enjoy about them, and remember that different uni's have different components of the same course so it depends where you go.

As for your A-levels, make sure you carry Maths on to A2, and i would advise Physics because it works well with maths and it's loads of fun.

Different universities will have different offers, some uni's will want AAB (like southampton) and places like northumbria just want 260 UCAS points, but all usually spefcify an A level in maths.

Good luck with it
Eek, yeah. Don't do Media... I'd suggest something like Chemistry, or if you wanted to do something more Humanities based to go for something like History, English, Economics, etc. Media sux.

Are you doing ASs, and if so can you do more than three?
Reply 9
yea i can do more than 3, but i have been advised only 3 so that i can concentrate on gettin a high mark on these specifiic courses.

I'm going to change media to chemistry right away tomorrow.
yea i can do more than 3, but i have been advised only 3 so that i can concentrate on gettin a high mark on these specifiic courses.

I'm going to change media to chemistry right away tomorrow.
Also, is there any other subjects which would be good with engineering?
If you want to try for Oxbridge, it is essential that you take Further Math. I heard civil engineers are finding it more difficult to get jobs these days, so if I were you, I would go for Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering. But it really depends on your individual interest.
Reply 13
...CoNfUsEd...
Also, is there any other subjects which would be good with engineering?
Further Maths is a really good choice but if you don't fancy that then any technical based subject would be good. Biology and Chemistry are the top two as far as Oxbridge are concerned (or so I am told). I took biology myself and really enjoyed it. History, English etc are good ones, it depends what you enjoy.

Don't switch straight to Chemistry unless you think you'll like it because I've met few people who have done well at subjects they hate.
i dont mind chemistry much..bt would biology benefit aswel?
Reply 15
...CoNfUsEd...
i dont mind chemistry much..bt would biology benefit aswel?

I did Biology and it's not so much the content but the way the work has to be approached that benefits. It's really down to what you want to do when you leave, and what you want to do for the next two years. Most things except Media, Geography and Psychology are worth looking into I think.
Reply 16
BadExaminee
If you want to try for Oxbridge, it is essential that you take Further Math. I heard civil engineers are finding it more difficult to get jobs these days, so if I were you, I would go for Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering. But it really depends on your individual interest.

I think you might have heard wrong - there aren't enough people doing civil engineering!!
Reply 17
There aren't enough people doing maths based degrees at all, at least that's what I heard.
Reply 18
The_Fez
I did Biology and it's not so much the content but the way the work has to be approached that benefits. It's really down to what you want to do when you leave, and what you want to do for the next two years. Most things except Media, Geography and Psychology are worth looking into I think.

Actually I've heard that taking geography is quite appropriate for someone interested in civil engineering.

Just take a respected-ish subject that you enjoy; that third subject isn't going to make the world of difference.

With regards to civil vs aero, I wouldn't choose on over the other just because it has a broader range of jobs. Just pick the one you're most interested in, and could see yourself doing in 10 or 20 years time.
Reply 19
Peel
Actually I've heard that taking geography is quite appropriate for someone interested in civil engineering.

Really? Well you learn something new everyday.

I could never do geography, I hated it with a passion. Such pure boredom...

Latest