The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
magicalsausage
I think you need to calm down with the semicolons - they're not big and they're not clever.

She's using the semicolons because errr that's the correct punctuation to use...? Why have you got a problem with correct English? (or it looks correct to me at least :wink: not a grammar (sp?) expert)
Reply 21
magicalsausage
I think you need to calm down with the semicolons - they're not big and they're not clever.

I was going to comment on that, but then I decided that it just wasn't worth it
:mad: :mad:
Reply 22
Arcadia
I walked through mem and old court at night and it was a bit eery, but that's because there were no students around. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be, just the two courts. But there is a fair bit to walk between them, particularly at 8:30am on the morning of you interview for a bowl of cereal!

That's cos you're missing out the Colony :wink: where most of the 2nd year (including myself) and a fair proportion of the 3rd year live. It's a fairly random assortment of buildings, some lovely Victorian town houses (admittedly gutted and turned into student-appropriate rooms on the inside, but quite nice to look at), a reasonable brick concoction, though with a stupid number of fire doors (Castle House), and a 60s concrete monstrosity (Castle End, where the rooms are quite big, but cold, and the kitchens/bathrooms are fairly horrible). That's why Clare looked so small!

Mem is lovely to live in though, and so convenient for the library etc. :smile: But if you think it's far to walk down the Avenue (Mem - Old Court) wait till you walk from the Colony to Old Court, though it's still not really that bad.
Reply 23
Sorry to interrupt here, but I believe that this thread is to discuss St. John's, not whether other colleges are nicer or not.
I'm applying to St. John's and I’m happy about it. I didn't feel a glint of arrogance when I met the students there, and I never heard anything negative from the other students there.
Whether or not you like old traditional buildings, you shouldn’t use that against the general feeling of the college.
Back to Alicia, I’m applying to St John’s for Engineering, and you could find some reference to that on another thread titled After the interview at St.John's for Engineering...
Reply 24
Valerio
Sorry to interrupt here, but I believe that this thread is to discuss St. John's, not whether other colleges are nicer or not.
I'm applying to St. John's and I’m happy about it. I didn't feel a glint of arrogance when I met the students there, and I never heard anything negative from the other students there.
Whether or not you like old traditional buildings, you shouldn’t use that against the general feeling of the college.
Back to Alicia, I’m applying to St John’s for Engineering, and you could find some reference to that on another thread titled After the interview at St.John's for Engineering...

Wow you seem very protective of St John's! - but lol no doubt I'd be like that if it was Emma in question :wink:

I've never been St Johns but I'd love to go - my friend who applied there told me it's a gorgeous college.

Tbh the rumour of St Johnians being arrogant is probably as good as people saying all Cambridge students are posh - doubtless there are some who are arrogant and posh but I don't think such generalisations are justified. I certainly have nothing against Johnians. However the term Emmanuelites sound cuter :biggrin:
Reply 25
I just don't like it when people complain and attack things they haven't experienced or understood, as well as judging by appearance.
And I agree that no matter where, there will be all types of people.
:smile: And I just wish people stay on topic...
Reply 26
Hehehe tbh you won't find a thread that stays entirely on the topic of any one particular college! - there's only so much you can say about a college without experiencing it for yourself.

I like the 2004 students thread - it has a world of its own that goes on any topic - don't have to be Cambridge - but it's just a Cambridge students gathering type thing! Quite a unique thread tbh! :biggrin: I'm very surprised to find that the Nottingham 2004 Students thread died in October! - and most threads over at Reading's dead too! And I thought the Cambridge sub-forum is going dead. However I think the Cambridge students thread is dying now not many post on it anymore :frown: but only now do I realise that it's pretty impressive to have lasted this long! - the Nottingham thread died in October! :eek:

Hehehe you were saying stay on the topic??? :biggrin:
svidrigailov
some of the most beautiful architecture in Cambridge, with the exception of Cripps (unless you're into derivative Mies van der Rohe-type monstrosities);

Lol I stayed in Cripps when I had my interview
Reply 28
t_muir11
... as angered as I am by the "I'd rather be at Oxford than st. johns" number...

:rolleyes: Really? Angered? Are you serious?
Reply 29
Nah, its only friendly teasing, i'm sure John's is nice :smile::wink:
Checking for Spies
Is it just me or has hardly anyone in this forum applied to St John's?Is there something someone's not telling me?! :eek:

I'm gona use my wonderful list to prove u wrong: there are 8 students for St John’s on my list while there are no Homerton students only a few for New Hall, Churchil, Corpus.... So St John's is quite well reprsented it's just the students are maybe not that active o this forum... I'm the only one active for Downing though and it's not that popular with other students here, but I like it :smile:
So John's future student from TSR include:
Ben C (Compsci)
Dave 2004 G (Law)
Lau200 (Land Economy) a really truely lovely girl :smile:
Fromthesouth (Economics)
slashkash (English)
beeblebrox87 (Mathematics) a cool brigth guy from the little i know him
emma furze (Theology)
t_muir11 (English)
Reply 31
t_muir11
Is it just this forum or is there something inherently terrible about St. John's. As somebody who will be going there this october I feel obligated to at least attempt a defence. When I went for my interview and when I did a shadowing scheme there, I saw nothing but lovely people, minus any shred of arrogance! Of course there are some members of the college that lock themselves in their rooms for days on end, and of course the facilities are beyond reproach - but its cambridge, which college doesn't have fantastic buildings, and a staff to match? So, as angered as I am by the "I'd rather be at Oxford than st. johns" number, I propose people get over their own feelings of inadequacy about their colleges and cut johnians a break!

it's something that is rarely taken beyond friendly rivallry. John's students know about this whole joke and it doesnt seem to bother them.
Reply 32
Willa
it's something that is rarely taken beyond friendly rivallry. John's students know about this whole joke and it doesnt seem to bother them.

They don't like it when you sing that song in their bar though :p: But generally it is just banter, though on occasion their sports teams are slightly more unpopular (the general boatie dislike of Maggie is somewhat more intense than the general population's dislike of John's as a whole)

My bf is at John's and it is really an alright place, most of the people I've met there are nice enough (with the odd exception :wink:). Doesn't mean I can't still take the piss though.
Helenia

My bf is at John's and it is really an alright place,

oxymoron?

MB
Reply 34
musicboy
oxymoron?

MB

What, John's and "alright place?" Nah, it is really. Though Cripps TV scares the **** out of me.
Reply 35
t_muir11
Is it just this forum or is there something inherently terrible about St. John's. As somebody who will be going there this october I feel obligated to at least attempt a defence. When I went for my interview and when I did a shadowing scheme there, I saw nothing but lovely people, minus any shred of arrogance! Of course there are some members of the college that lock themselves in their rooms for days on end, and of course the facilities are beyond reproach - but its cambridge, which college doesn't have fantastic buildings, and a staff to match? So, as angered as I am by the "I'd rather be at Oxford than st. johns" number, I propose people get over their own feelings of inadequacy about their colleges and cut johnians a break!

But no other college fits into the verse structure quite as neatly as "St. John's". It wouldn't work if you had "I'd rather be at Oxford than Cla-are" :wink:
Reply 36
Helenia
Cripps TV scares the **** out of me.

What's that?
Reply 37
d750
What's that?

The front of Cripps as you walk through from New Court is known as Cripps TV, as the large open windows rather resemble television sets, and the occupants programmes. I'm surprised you haven't heard it before being a Johnian.
Helenia
They don't like it when you sing that song in their bar though :p: But generally it is just banter, though on occasion their sports teams are slightly more unpopular (the general boatie dislike of Maggie is somewhat more intense than the general population's dislike of John's as a whole)

My bf is at John's and it is really an alright place, most of the people I've met there are nice enough (with the odd exception :wink:). Doesn't mean I can't still take the piss though.

Who is he then? (If you don't mind telling. Otherwise you could perhaps give a description recognisable to those who know him).
Reply 39
svidrigailov
The front of Cripps as you walk through from New Court is known as Cripps TV, as the large open windows rather resemble television sets, and the occupants programmes. I'm surprised you haven't heard it before being a Johnian.

Ah right, makes sense. Probably should have known that, but I didn't spend much time with undergrads. Which year are you in, by the way? I've probably met you at some point at one of the classical society meetings. Did you go to the dessert this year?

Latest

Trending

Trending