The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Not sure whether this is exactly right but i think so. When for example an elemnt is heated the electron gain energy and are promoted to higher energy levels (may be referred to as 'quantum levels'). These electron that have been 'excited' then fall back down to lower energy levels and as they do this they release energy in the form of a wavelength of light. The amount of 'dropping' they do determines the wavelength and hence the colour of the light. These colours can then be seen as lines in an emission spectra :smile: hope that helps! :redface:
Reply 2
From what I can remember, the explanation you need in AS chemistry is something like; 'when you heat up atoms the electrons orbiting the atom become excited and promote themselves to 'higher energy states', they are not stable in this position and so return to their original state after a while, when they do this they emmit photons/light waves of specific frequencies/wavelengths producing a trademark spectrum of specific 'lines'/frequencies for different elements/compounds.'

yea I know theres more to it than this before anyone starts correcting my generalisations, but I'm trying to write it as an AS style answer, hope it's helped.

Latest

Trending

Trending