The Student Room Group

Unsure about A-levels (Long question!)

Right. Started first day back at college today (year 13), and I'm in a dilemma. I started Chemistry AS today(with A2 Maths, F Maths, Physics), and it's easy enough so far, and I know that after looking over the stuff in textbooks that I could certainly cope with the work, but I don't really need it. Thing is, I'm feeling like I want to carry on one of other AS subjects (History/ English Lit), so I don't go mad with my calculator-based subjects.

With History, it's a hard subject, and the coursework component requires that we do a personal study, and the exams are mainly to do with Thatcher's government and American domestic policies (yawn tbh), however I got 233 UMS. English Lit however I got 216 UMS in, but it seems interesting to study more Shakespeare and some poetry, but it also has the uber-coursework component. Physics I got 210 UMS in, it isn't incredibly fascinating, but I reckon I can get a decent mark on it.

I want to do a Maths-based course at university, but my favourite course after some speculation is the BA in Combined Arts at Durham (since I could combine Maths with something a bit less black and white, again so I don't go mad), or the MA in Mathematics (Arts) at St. Andrews.

Should I drop the Chemistry and focus on taking Maths, F Maths, Physics and English Lit/ History, or continue taking Chemistry?
Reply 1
If you're sure that dropping Chemistry won't shut any doors for you, I'd drop it if I were you. You may as well spend the time you would spend on that AS continuing on a subject so that you get a full A-level - both universities and employers would prefer a full A-level to two separate AS Levels (from what I gather).

If I were you, out of History or English, take the one you think you'd enjoy more. There's only around 20 marks difference between the two, so combined with retakes and extra hard work you should be able to push your grade up.

So to conclude, I'd personally recommend that you take Maths, Further Maths (ew :p:), English and either Physics or History. Out of the latter two, I'd personally take History - it doesn't sound like you're enjoying Physics much. I'm a big fan of politics so I'm biased though :biggrin:

Good luck and please PM me if you have any more problems :wink:
It seems sensible to drop the AS Chemistry as it will hold little value compared to an A2 you could do, and both English and History are great subjects. They are interesting and academic, although they are both quite hard. I would say take English because you seem more interested in that; don't do something boring, its a mistake that many make (including me) but take what you want to study.

At the end of the day, doing just Maths, FMaths and Physics will be quite mathsy, but you might not want to press yourself with having an extra A-level. You are looking at quite difficult subjects you know :p:
If you are set on doing a combined Maths + something artsy, then do take either History or English and as Vesta said, drop Physics.
Reply 3
Problem is, I've given the impression to my Physics teacher that I want to take it to A2. If I dropped Physics, then I would be able to take History with the class most of my mates are in. The main reason I got 210 UMS was because I got a D in one of the modules. I'd be happy enough with Maths F Maths Physics and English Lit really.
Take that combination then, if it means you will be happy.
That will be alot of work though, be prepared for that.

Latest