The Student Room Group
What do you enjoy about the subject? Are there any particular theories you like to think about?

You can drag it out, just keep asking yourself questions like that :smile:
What areas of philosophy interest you? Have you done any extra reading that reinforced your decision to study philosophy? Why do you like philosophy over other subjects? ect.
Reply 3
thanks for your reply; this is just so hard lol I have like 3 weeks and it seems like so little time.
Also, would it be okay to say I have read some books that I have only skimmed through so far and then if a circumstance comes up where I may be required to discuss the books i.e. i get an interview, then i could read them before? does that makes sense
basically i am asking should I lie about some of the books I have read
Reply 4
Original post by &#946
What areas of philosophy interest you? Have you done any extra reading that reinforced your decision to study philosophy? Why do you like philosophy over other subjects? ect.

well I have never really studied philosophy I just have always found questioning things interesting; I suppose i'm quite interested in moral/political philosophy and things like the relation between mind and body. I have not really read much though just a short intro into philosophy, some sartre and descartes
Reply 5
If you can't think why you want to do it - then perhaps you don't really want to do it.
Reply 6
nemnem
thanks for your reply; this is just so hard lol I have like 3 weeks and it seems like so little time.
Also, would it be okay to say I have read some books that I have only skimmed through so far and then if a circumstance comes up where I may be required to discuss the books i.e. i get an interview, then i could read them before? does that makes sense

I'm gathering that you want to apply for Oxbridge.

If so, I don't mean to be blunt but if you want to apply at Oxbridge then you should really know why you want to philosophy. At an interview they will really test you so you have to know why you want to do the course and be able to talk about whatever they ask you.

As for how to begin your PS, have you done any wider reading? If so, you could write about the theories which you have been fascinated by most.
nemnem

Mentioning a certain book in your personal statement isn't good enough. Anyone can say 'I have read this book'. You need to express your own ideas and opinions on what you thought of the book or why you enjoyed the book and how it reinforced your decision to study the subject.

So no, don't lie about reading something.
Reply 8
T kay
I'm gathering that you want to apply for Oxbridge.

If so, I don't mean to be blunt but if you want to apply at Oxbridge then you should really know why you want to philosophy. At an interview they will really test you so you have to know why you want to do the course and be able to talk about whatever they ask you.

As for how to begin your PS, have you done any wider reading? If so, you could write about the theories which you have been fascinated by most.

yeah I know I do really want to study philosophy I'm just finding it a bit hard to put into words; i wrote a rough draft last night but when I read it through again I realised it was not very good at all. I just can't think of a way to start it
I think I'm going to apply to cambridge but tbh I'm not really sure about the whole thing, it was sort of like wow you got really high marks; apply to cambridge! But now I'm thinking I would rather wait a bit longer and just not apply ahh I don't know it's so difficult :|
The fact that I find this so hard and can't even put into words why I want to study it is making me think I would DEFINITELY not suited either oxford of cambridge
hahahaha god i'm a failure
Reply 9
Don't lie, if you end up getting an interview you might be asked about it and get stuck.
Why don't you actually read some of the books you were going to lie about.
Reply 10
Dashavoo
Don't lie, if you end up getting an interview you might be asked about it and get stuck.
Why don't you actually read some of the books you were going to lie about.

I have sort of read them well I have read enough of them to get the general gist but not enough that I would feel confident enough to discuss the ideas in any depth; although actually I think in a week I could read at least one book properly... hmmm then I could ask one of the philosophy teachers at school to check my personal statement to make sure I haven't said anything really stupid; yes ideas are occuring to me now
Reply 11
nemnem
yeah I know I do really want to study philosophy I'm just finding it a bit hard to put into words; i wrote a rough draft last night but when I read it through again I realised it was not very good at all. I just can't think of a way to start it
I think I'm going to apply to cambridge but tbh I'm not really sure about the whole thing, it was sort of like wow you got really high marks; apply to cambridge! But now I'm thinking I would rather wait a bit longer and just not apply ahh I don't know it's so difficult :|
The fact that I find this so hard and can't even put into words why I want to study it is making me think I would DEFINITELY not suited either oxford of cambridge
hahahaha god i'm a failure

Don't feel bad I was probably a little bit harsh :smile:

I can definitly understand it being hard to put into words. You possibly should have started writing your PS in the holidays or even earlier.

If you have a passion for a subject then that's brilliant, it'll come across at an interview. What's equally important is doing a fair bit of wider reading, Oxbridge admission tutors have said many a time they prefer their candidates to have done a lot of wider reading rather than a lot of extra-curricular activities. Reading around your course a lot shows that you have passion but if your able to understand and communicate what you've learnt articulately then you have a very good chance of getting in. Do you think you can have a discussion on the same level as some of the philosophers on TSR? Have you ever had a discussion on a theory or something with your philosophy teacher?

If your passionate, done some wider reading and can talk about this clearly at an interview then I think you could get in, you say you did good regarding grades so that set's a nice foundation.

ps, I'm not a philosopher but I know a little about what Oxbridge likes in a candidate. You could perhaps PM some of the philosophers here on TSR, even if there not at oxbridge, they can still give you some valuable advice, better than mine! :smile:
Reply 12
T kay
Don't feel bad I was probably a little bit harsh :smile:

I can definitly understand it being hard to put into words. You possibly should have started writing your PS in the holidays or even earlier.

If you have a passion for a subject then that's brilliant, it'll come across at an interview. What's equally important is doing a fair bit of wider reading, Oxbridge admission tutors have said many a time they prefer their candidates to have done a lot of wider reading rather than a lot of extra-curricular activities. Reading around your course a lot shows that you have passion but if your able to understand and communicate what you've learnt articulately then you have a very good chance of getting in. Do you think you can have a discussion on the same level as some of the philosophers on TSR? Have you ever had a discussion on a theory or something with your philosophy teacher?

If your passionate, done some wider reading and can talk about this clearly at an interview then I think you could get in, you say you did good regarding grades so that set's a nice foundation.

ps, I'm not a philosopher but I know a little about what Oxbridge likes in a candidate. You could perhaps PM some of the philosophers here on TSR, even if there not at oxbridge, they can still give you some valuable advice, better than mine! :smile:

thanks lol, i might just write a rough PS and post it in the helper bit and just see what people say
I have had discussions with a few teachers and in class we sometimes do debates and stuff but it's just that i suppose i lack confidence and i don't like to lose so i sometimes just don't say anything lol;
anyways i think i'm going to read soem nietzsche as a lot of people seem to find him interesting and since I have already read sartre and I found that pretty interesting then I might be able to write something about existentialism
you like the method of philosophizing? I like to analyse things too in philosophy, look at the situation etc

define the limits of a question (philosophy starts from questions afterall) question fundamental assumptions, or acknowledge them

I think you should discuss the general stuff, it will show your prowess, rather than appealing to specific pilosophers
Reply 14
nemnem
thanks lol, i might just write a rough PS and post it in the helper bit and just see what people say
I have had discussions with a few teachers and in class we sometimes do debates and stuff but it's just that i suppose i lack confidence and i don't like to lose so i sometimes just don't say anything lol;
anyways i think i'm going to read soem nietzsche as a lot of people seem to find him interesting and since I have already read sartre and I found that pretty interesting then I might be able to write something about existentialism

Well you seem to be heading in the right direction, you've read outside your syllabus. As I said, I don't do philosophy so I don't know anything about existentialism nor John Paul Sartre and very little about Nietzsche :smile:

And another idea, maybe you should organise a mock interview?

ps good luck and thanks for the rep. :smile:
Reply 15
nemnem

Haha, I have been reading Nietzsche recently, and I am enjoying his work, so I imagine you will too as being as I am a huge Sartre fan and you found him interesting.
It would probably be a good idea to read some older things too, for example Descartes, who has inspired a great deal of philosophers since (sometimes in agreement with him, or sometimes just inspired to contradict him).
Reply 16
nemnem
am finding it very hard to put into words why I want to study philosophy, i just erm like to think. this is one sentence and i need to try to take up 2/3's of my ps

Lol! Yeah I sometimes have this problem. Maybe write about why philosophy is important etc. Also, I don't know much about philosophy, but perhaps mention what ideas and areas interest you most, or perhaps some you disagree with, and give a brief critique.

Also you could write about how you got into philosophy, first became interested by it, what you think you'll gain from studying it at degree level etc.

With regards to just skimming books and then reading them properly later, yes, I think loads of people do that, no problem with it (some of my mates who weren't applying to oxbridge or anywhere that interviewed never read the books they wrote about in their PS).

Also what you said about not sure you want to apply this year, I'd be wary of jumping into anything, there's nothing wrong with taking a gap year or two and then applying later. If you do apply though, good luck :smile:

J
Reply 17
JoeJBB
Lol! Yeah I sometimes have this problem. Maybe write about why philosophy is important etc. Also, I don't know much about philosophy, but perhaps mention what ideas and areas interest you most, or perhaps some you disagree with, and give a brief critique.

Also you could write about how you got into philosophy, first became interested by it, what you think you'll gain from studying it at degree level etc.

With regards to just skimming books and then reading them properly later, yes, I think loads of people do that, no problem with it (some of my mates who weren't applying to oxbridge or anywhere that interviewed never read the books they wrote about in their PS).

Also what you said about not sure you want to apply this year, I'd be wary of jumping into anything, there's nothing wrong with taking a gap year or two and then applying later. If you do apply though, good luck :smile:

J

good luck to you too! :smile:

hey thanks guys, didn't think anyone would take the time to answer this!
anyways I have got my introduction now I think which was basically the part I was having the most trouble with and I have read over some basic philosophy books again just like introductions and have also skimmed over descartes; if I get an interview I'll read it properly, like really really properly lol I'm not going into any close detail in my PS anyways