The Student Room Group
Reply 1
how is it misleading?....it's used to filter the applicants and find the ones who will succeed on the course
My uni published entry requirements higher than they offered me, and when i didnt get what they offerd they still let me on the course!
they call it the "minimum entry requirement" so it's not THAT misleading.

Also they tend to give the lower offers to the local students or students who go to schools where the average A-level grades are very low.

Both my insurance and firm offers were a grade higher than stated - however this year (09 entry) they changed their entry requirements to include my offers - so perhaps the departments sometimes choose to raise their offers after they release the public entry requirements.
It sets a guideline. Even though it might not be entirely accurate to the average grades of those who get final places, it still distinguishes the better universities from the not-so-good universities, so to speak. If any university decided that it's minimum entry requirements were 4A's, they would probably be pretty undersubscribed.
Reply 5
I find it misleading because some people struggle to get predicted the minimum entry requirements thinking they may be made an offer, when in truth, it's not very likely (example. Edinburgh)...
adilmorrison
I find it misleading because some people struggle to get predicted the minimum entry requirements thinking they may be made an offer, when in truth, it's not very likely (example. Edinburgh)...

well Edinburgh is an exception - I am hoping most people know when they apply what the deal is...
My boyfriends brother goes there, and he says the low offers are just to take the stress of the exams. And they have already decided they want the student - so they would rather they make the offer and go to the university!
adilmorrison

You should be struggling to get the best grades you can, whatever happens. Unless that's just me who wants to achieve as much as I can? Well - your choice.
Reply 8
adilmorrison

the mimimum requirements is only used as a stepping stone meaning you stand a chance of being accepted but it doesnt mean that you would automatically get an offer....other factors are taken into account....PS, reference etc....
Reply 9
silk192
the mimimum requirements is only used as a stepping stone meaning you stand a chance of being accepted but it doesnt mean that you would automatically get an offer....other factors are taken into account....PS, reference etc....

Of course it doesn't mean you'd automatically get an offer... I'm not an idiot. My point is, that there is a misconception that minimum entry requirements somehow correlates to the general entry standard... This clearly isn't the case with most courses at top ten/fifteen universities...
I had 3 A's at As and was predicted 3 A's at A2, yet I got rejected from Durham, Warwick and York, who all wanted AAB. I now have 3 A's, so I am taking a year out and re-applying.

Take from this what you will.
Reply 11
adilmorrison
Of course it doesn't mean you'd automatically get an offer... I'm not an idiot. My point is, that there is a misconception that minimum entry requirements somehow correlates to the general entry standard... This clearly isn't the case with most courses at top ten/fifteen universities...

i never said you were an idiot.....do you mean if X university has a minimum entry requirement of ABB, then they expect every student admitted to the course to have ABB or above? is that what you are trying to say?
Jon of the North
I had 3 A's at As and was predicted 3 A's at A2, yet I got rejected from Durham, Warwick and York, who all wanted AAB. I now have 3 A's, so I am taking a year out and re-applying.

Take from this what you will.

Err that's really strange...no offence but what was wrong with your application:o: It's important u find out or have an idea because if it's something you haven't changed/improved you'll likely get another rejection. It doesn't seem to have been ur grades...

Good luck with reapplying neway
Reply 13
desmondmac
Err that's really strange...no offence but what was wrong with your application:o: It's important u find out or have an idea because if it's something you haven't changed/improved you'll likely get another rejection. It doesn't seem to have been ur grades...

Good luck with reapplying neway

Not necessarily. I have a friend who applied to 6 universities for medicine with a brilliant PS, a lot of extra curricular stuff, all As and A*s at GCSE, and 5As at AS, predicted 4 As at A2. She only got one offer. Just depends upon the quality of the other applicants and the competitiveness of the course.
Meep!
Not necessarily. I have a friend who applied to 6 universities for medicine with a brilliant PS, a lot of extra curricular stuff, all As and A*s at GCSE, and 5As at AS, predicted 4 As at A2. She only got one offer. Just depends upon the quality of the other applicants and the competitiveness of the course.

Yeh but Medicine is dead competitive anyway, stuff like that is expected. The guy apped to unis asking for AAB with 3As...with those grades that shouldn't have happened three times:no:

It might be the subjects he studied though and the apparent fact he only did 3 AS Levels..

Everyone making a serious application for Medicine though has a plethora As so I don't think it's similar enuff to this situation

Out of interest did your friend get the 4 As at A2?
Reply 15
desmondmac
Yeh but Medicine is dead competitive anyway, stuff like that is expected. The guy apped to unis asking for AAB with 3As...with those grades that shouldn't have happened three times:no:

It might be the subjects he studied though and the apparent fact he only did 3 AS Levels..

Everyone making a serious application for Medicine though has a plethora As so I don't think it's similar enuff to this situation

Out of interest did your friend get the 4 As at A2?

Yep, she did. Along with two more As in extra AS levels.

But the point is, it doesn't matter whether it's medicine or not. If it's a very competitive course, someone with a perfectly good application may be rejected purely because there's someone better.
Meep!
Yep, she did. Along with two more As in extra AS levels.

But the point is, it doesn't matter whether it's medicine or not. If it's a very competitive course, someone with a perfectly good application may be rejected purely because there's someone better.

Well no offence but you're not saying anythign groundbreaking. All that goes without saying.

However Medicine, being one of the most competitive courses, is going to have higher calibre students anyway. In this case the schools the dude applied to asked for AAB (I imagine the unis ur friend applied to needed AAA), AAB is a feat but it isn't the top grades or most stringent requirements out there. The guy seems to have stellar grades so it's odd, methinks, and very unlucky that he was rejected 3/5 times.

The point I was trying to make is it most likely wasn't a case of his grades being an issue- he got AAA at AS, AAA preds and AAA at A2- so, as i see it, there must have been something else about his application. If he hasn't sorted that problem out then it's quite likely the same result will come back.

Just checked his profile and he has those As in very 'strong' subjects, including an AEA History.

Latest