The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mmmh, if I were you I would say that I help people that have problems with these subjects, but it may be a bit too much to tell them you moderate forums :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Anatheme
...it may be a bit too much to tell them you moderate forums :s-smilie:

Why is that?
thomaskurian89
I'm the moderator .... I also do the same thing on TSR.

Should I mention this in my Personal Statement?

You aren't a moderator on TSR, though, and it doesn't seem a good idea to lie.
Reply 4
IMO I would leave it out completely. You are going to uni to study, not teach. Although it gives some indication of your capabilities it only really tells the admission tutors that your are more able than the people you are helping. Something which would be more 'solidly' demonstrated with your grades interview.
Reply 5
Good bloke

I assume he just means helps people out - in the maths forum
Reply 6
Good bloke

By "same thing", I meant "helping students with doubts". (didn't mean to say that I'm a mod)
Reply 7
:yep: I think that you should mention it, because you are mentoring students, showing that you not only have the ability but you also have the ability to teach others so that they can understand it.

Sorry if I have waffled a bit, but I think you should include it.
thomaskurian89
By "same thing", I meant "helping students with doubts". (didn't meant to say that I'm a mod)

OK. When you write your PS you should concentrate on removing such ambiguities. Your OP actually said that the forum helps students and that you moderate it, so doing the same thing on TSR would mean moderating.
Reply 9
thomaskurian89
Why is that?

Well as Prudy said, you're going there to study, not teach, and while helping on the Internet, you're not studying, so it might put them off a bit. You're helping of course, but why are you like involved on the Internet and not in real life, like if you were helping pupils at school to understand maths better or so on ? The Internet is somehow not that credible.
Reply 10
Thanks, guys. One more question (to UK students): In India, our last 2 years of school are called grade 11 and grade 12. Do you use the same terminology in the UK?
Reply 11
Can it honestly harm your chances of being accepted-at the very most it wll take up a few characters out of your 4000 allowed for your personal statement-just mention it briefly. Then if you are invited for an interview you can explain more about it if you are asked about it.
Reply 12
thomaskurian89
Thanks, guys. One more question (to UK students): In India, our last 2 years of school are called grade 11 and grade 12. Do you use the same terminology in the UK?

They're called "lower 6th form" and "upper 6th form" or generally "year 12" and "year 13"
Reply 13
Yes, year 12 and year 13
Reply 14
Anatheme
They're called "lower 6th form" and "upper 6th form" or generally "year 12" and "year 13"

I don't understand how you guys studied for 13 years. :eek:
I only finished 12 years in school and was 17 years old then. (And no, I never failed a class.)
Reply 15
thomaskurian89
I only finished 12 years in school and was 17 years old then. (And no, I never failed a class.)

Mmmh, I took the French Bac, not the A-Levels, but 13 years are feasable :p:. You're just even more happy to be done with them :biggrin:
thomaskurian89

You obviously started a year later.
OP, you joined in August and you have 288 posts (including ones in this thread). It's a bit of an insult to make out like you've made an invaluable contribution to the TSR community, tbh.
Reply 18
Aren't most 6th Form leavers 18 years old, or nearly there?
Reply 19
Greatleysteg
OP, you joined in August and you have 288 posts (including ones in this thread). It's a bit of an insult to make out like you've made an invaluable contribution to the TSR community, tbh.

But that's 13 posts a day on TSR itself!

Latest

Trending

Trending