The Student Room Group

* Economics OR Spanish? *

Right well basically I have a serious dilemma.

I am happy with my first three choices: Maths, physics and chemistry and I did choose economics.

However, on monday morning my spanish teacher came to my tutor lesson trying to convince me to take spanish she said that you could do an economics degree without an economics a level, and you could pick it up as an AS in yr 13 anyway.

However even though I got an A* in Spanish GCSE, I believe I am terrible at it, and I have heard things such as you need to be fluent to do well in the oral ect.

I do not know what to do, I know language a levels are highly respected and that I possibly could do well (she is a really good teacher), I just have no confidence.

Apparently an economics degree with spanish would be "fenomenal"

What would you guys do? continue with economics or change to spanish and not feel that comfortable that you were going to do well, but still pick an economics AS in year 13?:confused: .

NB: (Hopefull career is Stockbroking)
Yup, it's true; you can do economics degree without the a level. I think maths is a good subject for it, anyway? Can you not do both spanish and economics? OR alternatively you could do one this year, drop whatever subject it is you want for A2, then pick up the other at AS?
Reply 2
Do you like Spanish? Are you interested in Spain?

If not, do Economics.
Reply 3
Yes I did like Spanish, I found it reasonably stress free at GCSE, I just turned up did my best and got really good results.

However, I reckon im good at remembering key phrases and vocab rather than actually being good at the language. For example I was never the best at remembering when the different tenses were used ect..

Its very tempting seeing as I do not need the economics a level for uni. I dont know what to do though, because I really think id do badly at A level, and economics seems quite interesting so far.
No. Do Economics. I had a few lessons of Spanish and loathed it. My listening is weak and I could just forsee that I was going to get a low grade at the end of the year. I loved it at GCSE, but hated it at AS Level so I changed to Psychology. I'd advise you to stick with Economics, especially if you want to do it at uni. Although it's not an official requirement to have Economics, I'm sure it would be helpful.
Up to you, but Spanish might broaden your options a bit more than Economics...
Reply 6
I had EXACTLY the same problem as you. I started doing economics thinking i needed it to do an economics degree. Had a few lessons and thought that spanish would look better for the UCAS application as it was something different. So I changed to Spanish, only to find it bloody hard...i mean HARD. Only take it if you are completely fluent becuase i also got an A* at GCSE but AS is a completely different ball game. I changed back to economics and found it relatively easy at AS, and ended up with an A, whereas nearly everyone who did Spanish got B's and C's...and U's.
Reply 7
Economics A-level is not required to study it at university, but generally it is preferred (or at least considered as a 'useful' subject to have).
Reply 8
why don't you drop physics or chemistry which aren't that relevant, that is if you prefer them over spanish?
but im doing both, and languages are very highly respected nowadays.
Reply 9
Do Economics, even though its not required at most uni's. Most candidates applying to do economics will have economics at A-level. So it would be helpful!
Reply 10
it is absolutely NOT true that you have to be fluent in it to do well, the whole point of learning a language is because you're not fluent! i did french, spanish and german for a level, and they ranged from being ridiculously easy to bloody hard. we didnt even have a german teacher at A2, and after 7 years of studying it i still couldnt really string a sentence together, yet i still managed to get an A through sheer hard work. :cool:

as for spanish, it is the subject that i'm most passionate about, yet like you i lacked confidence. if you truly enjoy learning spanish, the confidence will come in time and with good practice. just go for it and remember that everyone else is in the same boat, even people who have a lot of confidence will slip up - but that doesn't mean you can't do well!! :yep:

(lol, i am biased tho :p: )

Latest