The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
MeAndBubbles
Thanks it helps to have your opinion because it was difficult for me to buy those sausages, I really wanted them to be free range having been vegan for 4mths. Also I'm less judgemental now I got your side of things. Incidentally I studied for 3 years in Portsmouth, haha.

No worries. It's great that you've got well intended morals like that. Just unfortunate that we don't live in a perfect world. All I'm saying is until free-range viability is sorted, indoor reared meat is not as awful a substitute as it is often made out :smile:

Gotta love Pompey :wink: I've only got another year left here (hopefully, this is if I get accepted into uni next year!) so I'm making the most of its "splendour" :p:
Reply 61
I eat/whatever vegan for many reasons such as my health and the environment. Since I made the transition, my life has improved greatly.

Jesus, I don't even know where to start on this. I'm vegan because I choose not to contribute to the unnecessary cruelty and suffering to animals.
Reply 62
I am not a vegan but I can see why people are vegans. I have a lot of respect for vegans. Animals do not have a voice. I really feel that in the future we will see more and more people becoming vegans or vegetarians. A lot of people eat meat without thinking about where it's from.
Reply 63
Keeping this alive...

I want to try some place new to eat this weekend in LDN. I usually go to Beatroot in Soho because it's yum but can anyone recommend anywhere vegan/vegetarian in central?
Since I'm entirely unprepared to buy into the idea that there is some intrinsic wrong in the act of keeping animals in order to eat them or the things they produce, I believe the sole 'moral' (that is to say, practical) concern which provides a valid reason for veganism is the fact that meat and animal products are much less efficient to produce (the yield is much lower for any given area of land). In a world where the amount of available farmland is becoming a greater concern the high consumption of animal products in developed countries can have a negative effect on poorer countries.

Of course, even if you consider this to be a major concern it does not suggest that outright veganism is preferable. There are no major plant crops which we harvest from the sea, for example, so there is no reason not to eat fish (with responsible fishing methods).

On the subject of health - I'm simply not buying it. Maybe for those with inactive lifestyles it can be positive, but for anyone who is more active getting sufficient nutrition from vegan sources can be a pain. I have a friend who rows for the college first boat who went vegan for a month as part of an EWB awareness/fundraising initiative and he lost 4kgs.

Latest

Trending

Trending