The Student Room Group

Shadowing a prison doctor

Has anyone here ever shadowed a prison doctor? Would you reccomend it? How old were you when you did it?
The reason I'm asking is because I've called Holloway prison twice now, the first time the operator told me to write a letter to the governor and see what she said, which I'm in the process of doing. I called again just now to see if I'd get different advice and the guy on the phone told me I wouldn't be able to shadow a prison doctor because I'm not 18 yet. It's an all female prison and trusty google hasn't told me if there's an age limit and I really want to shadow a prison doctor because I might be wrong but I feel that it combines the work of a GP with the work of a Psychiatrist.

I suppose what I'm asking is, what do you think my chances of being able to shadow a prison doctor are? I know it will be very distressing and I think (I hope) I'll be able to handle it.
It seems really interesting and different compared to the standard shadowing a hospital doctor (which I also plan to do) and it will help me see medicine from a lot of different angles when combined with volunteering, hospital placements and GP placements.

Do I really have to wait until I'm 18? Because that's what some care homes told me and yet I still got voluntary work.

I'm so confused!

Thanks guys!
Reply 1
I believe each local prison has their own local policies on agent limits for volunteers just like care homes. I have been in a prison as a trainee audiologist once and I found it to be really interesting.
Sounds bloody interesting!

Would be a great and different experience for sure, something to write about on the PS.

:smile:
Reply 3
Just write to the governor. It will be at theirs discretion if they allow you to go ahead with this or not. Holloway takes medical students for electives so on one hand they may be used to an idea of students following their GP but on the other they may be busy enough with this and may not want additional responsibilities of looking after an underaged person.
Holloway take students not just for electives, but routinely as well.
Chase farm hospital also has a medium secure unit, and they may be worth contacting. Again, they take medical students, so they might just take work experience kids too.
Wow. I live about 2 minutes from Holloway and that sounds really interesting. I might get involved and ask them for a bit of experience!
Reply 6
Thanks everyone! I'll take all the advice on board! What kind of things should I say in a letter to the governor? Just who I am and what I want to do?
Dude if you had that on your PS and had overall good grades ect you will be likely to get interviews, that sure makes you stand out from the crowd.
Reply 8
Even though I already have a place at med school I am also going to shadow a prison doc, my girlfriends brother in law is a prison mental health nurse and suggested it to me, he has already got all the paperwork done just need to decide a date now, if anything I should think it would be an awesome experience. Oh this is bedford prison if that helps anyone.
Reply 9
JammyP
Even though I already have a place at med school I am also going to shadow a prison doc, my girlfriends brother in law is a prison mental health nurse and suggested it to me, he has already got all the paperwork done just need to decide a date now, if anything I should think it would be an awesome experience. Oh this is bedford prison if that helps anyone.

Wow! Are you excited?
Reply 10
oooooooh I live near Holloway :P
Reply 11
diamonddust
Wow! Are you excited?

Yeah should be awesome if I get to do it before you I will let you know how it goes.

Age isn't really a problem for me as I am old (22!). Hope it all goes well for you!
Reply 12
JammyP
Yeah should be awesome if I get to do it before you I will let you know how it goes.

Age isn't really a problem for me as I am old (22!). Hope it all goes well for you!

Thanks! *grumbles about lucky 22 year olds* :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending