The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
*pitseleh*
Neither did I, for that matter (so much so that I'm not even sure which post would have been repped) but it's the principle of the thing! :p:

It was you saying you thought 100% of people let in should be from private schools...

misquoting FTW :woo:
Teebs
It was you saying you thought 100% of people let in should be from private schools...

misquoting FTW :woo:

:laugh:

Stop besmirching my good name.

And that would really suck for me, if 100% of places went to private school pupils.
Reply 22
*pitseleh*
:laugh:

Stop besmirching my good name.

And that would really suck for me, if 100% of places went to private school pupils.

Me too. *self-hating private schooler* :p:
I don't think making admissions wholy central really is really very pragmatic...ranking an entire cohort of applicants in one is a bit much for a uni with such a (relatively) in-depth application process. What does seem to me to be very workable, and which would have a similar effect, would be if applicants listed a number of preferred colleges and then a number of those at oversubscribed colleges were redistributed (I imagine this could be done electronically) to less popular ones so as to ensure an equal applicants to places ratio at each college (this wouldn't eliminate the pooling system, obviously, but would lessen the need for it). People would still be able to have some say in what college they got interviewed at, but without the disparities evident in the present system.
Reply 24
bigjcoool
New College, for instance, received over 70 applications for French subjects alone for 2007 entry. ...Take PPE at Magdalen: usually over 150 applicants a year.

Where are these figures from? :s-smilie:
Reply 25
What BJack said, more like 60-70 applicants year for Magdalen PPE (leaning towards the lower end).
Reply 26
But without the disparities between numbers of applicants at different colleges, Balliol would have to surrender some of our smug sense of superiority. :hmmm:
Reply 27
Mayfly
Balliol... surrender some of our smug sense of superiority. :hmmm:

I doubt that'll ever happen.
Reply 28
Teebs
I doubt that'll ever happen.

True, we'd just channel it into new and potentially more obnoxious forms.
Reply 29
Lotteries are so unfair... why on EARTH is random choosing fairer than choosing on academic merit?
Reply 30
Lotteries are certainly not 'unfair'. it grants equal chance to individuals.

If you follow the argument that everybody is distinct in academic merit - then a lottery would be unfair (granting equal chance to unequal individuals). This is not the case. There are loads of people that are arbitrarily decided upon by tutors (and I know this first hand). A lottery for those students would be more fair.
cor
There are loads of people that are arbitrarily decided upon by tutors (and I know this first hand). A lottery for those students would be more fair.

How is randomly choosing by lottery any more fair than "arbitrarily deciding" by a tutor? I really dont see any benefits in this system.
Reply 32
Well, given that tutors will often have a set of say 10 candidates perfectly capable of a 2:1 with nothing between them and only 5 places to fill - often factors such as one person having only 8 A*'s rather than 9 A*'s will be taken into account. A lottery would stop this from happening.
Reply 33
cor
Well, given that tutors will often have a set of say 10 candidates perfectly capable of a 2:1 with nothing between them and only 5 places to fill - often factors such as one person having only 8 A*'s rather than 9 A*'s will be taken into account

In fairness, that's not really 'arbitrary' is it? If places are awarded according to academic merit, then GCSEs are obviously relevant to this judgement, and that one extra A* allows for an academic disctinction to be made, even if it's only negilible. I still think it's more fair than having a toss up between the two candidates.
Reply 34
The point is that they are good enough for Oxford - regardless - so they make meaningless academic distinction in order to justify one candidate over the other. I don't think that a grade here or there at GCSE, or a slightly stronger set of A-level subjects constitutes a genuine choice - just a method to academically justify the matter. I would view a lottery as more fair in these situations.

Latest

Trending

Trending