The Student Room Group

Kings or LSOP - competitive?

Hey just wondering which is more competitive Kings or Pharmacy, I have predicted grades ABC and Kings ask for BBBe and LSOP ask for ABB-BBB.

Would it be wise to chance it with one, both or none of them and waste a choice? :confused:

Is anyone or has anyone been in my situation :s I don't know what to do :frown:

If say I got higher than my predicted grades would I be able to ring up even if the Uni I want to go to wasn't one of my choices?
Reply 1
hamstein
Hey just wondering which is more competitive Kings or Pharmacy, I have predicted grades ABC and Kings ask for BBBe and LSOP ask for ABB-BBB.

Would it be wise to chance it with one, both or none of them and waste a choice? :confused:

If say I got higher than my predicted grades would I be able to ring up even if the Uni I want to go to wasn't one of my choices?

get your teacher to predict you higher. is the C in chemistry? if yes then i dont think you will get an offer with C in chemistry. work hard to try to get ABB. and you dont have to show your AS grades show them as pending retake some AS modules to get more UMS marks :smile:
Reply 2
hamstein

looking at your AS results you got BCD (english, chemistry, maths)
general studies and media studies are considered as soft subjects and might not be accepted.
Reply 3
Oh thats okay haha I dropped media and general studies is just something we do on the day. I was so close to a B though in Chemistry so annoying and a mark off an A in english. And Maths just went horribly wrong =/ Can I set my results as pending through the website or does my teacher have to do that? I'll probably get predicted ABC =/
Reply 4
The chemistry needs to go up to a B, or I wouldn't apply to kings unless you have special circumstances.

In terms of your question, knigs are more competitive as they take on less people and don't ask for an interview. Therefore only apply if you think your P.S. is top notch! Also if you miss your grades don't expect them to take you on, they are not lenient in these cases, trust me I know!

On the otherhand LSOP takes on more people, and is definitely much more lenient. From wot I heard someone hear got into LSOP with ABC. As long as you get an interview, expect to get an offer unless you really mess up...

Also you may have to retake that maths if you can, getting it up to a C would be good. Also if you decide you don't wanna include it in your UCAS application, kings will have to give you an interview amnd probably a higher offer eg ABB.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 5
hamstein
Oh thats okay haha I dropped media and general studies is just something we do on the day. I was so close to a B though in Chemistry so annoying and a mark off an A in english. And Maths just went horribly wrong =/ Can I set my results as pending through the website or does my teacher have to do that? I'll probably get predicted ABC =/

retake maths and chem modules. and ask your teacher to predict ABB. you have to put in your results in ucas
Reply 6
nooooooooo my maths teacher predicted me a C she said no to a B because I may not be able to achieve it. She also said I wasn't allowed to retake all maths modules as it'll be too much workload. Would ABC be do-able applying to LSOP? :s I don't know whether to put Kings and LSOP or just LSOP.
Reply 7
hamstein
nooooooooo my maths teacher predicted me a C she said no to a B because I may not be able to achieve it. She also said I wasn't allowed to retake all maths modules as it'll be too much workload. Would ABC be do-able applying to LSOP? :s I don't know whether to put Kings and LSOP or just LSOP.

if you get an offer of ABB from LSOP you have a chance of getting in. even if you dont meet the offer and get ABC, depending on how many people applied that year and how many meeting the offer. i dont know if they will give you an offer with ABC prediction.
petzneo
The chemistry needs to go up to a B, or I wouldn't apply to kings unless you have special circumstances.

IMO one might struggle with the chemistry content of the course with anything less than a B.
Reply 9
okies I'll push the chem up to a B apparently not having biology as an AS works against me :s
I guess you can look at it that way, but IMO as long as you have good GCSE biology, you'll be OK. The chemistry part of the course is a lot more challenging IMO (especially at the top universities anyway).
Reply 11
Kingspharm
I guess you can look at it that way, but IMO as long as you have good GCSE biology, you'll be OK. The chemistry part of the course is a lot more challenging IMO (especially at the top universities anyway).

Isn't pharmacy the same at all universities since it's the same course?
Oh I got a B in bio lol
Theoretically yes.

The pharmacy course content should all be the same - i.e. all the universities teach the same broad subjects in accordance with the RPSGB's approval. However, the universities are free to structure the course however they like - so it can be easier to pass at some universities compared to others depending on the strengths in your knowledge.

e.g. IMO it's harder to pass if you've got to get 40% in the chemistry aspects of the course, 40% in the therapeutics aspects, 40% in law&practice and 40% in pharmaceutics rather than 40% in cardiovascular disease, 40% in central nervous system, etc. (where each body system is composed of 25% of each of chemistry/therapeutics/law&practice/pharmaceutics) - you can pass just by knowing law&practice and therapeutics really well and know next-to-no chemistry... :smile:

Hard to explain, but been there...done that. :biggrin:
Reply 13
oh wow how do you know what universities aren't so heavily chemistry based?
I guess you got to read through all the details the university provides about their course - usually it will outline how the course is taught and examined.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the less prestigious universities will have easier courses... but ICBW.
Reply 15
For those who got offered a BBB place at Kings, was that a straight BBB or BBB with an extra AS?
Reply 16
x Nish
For those who got offered a BBB place at Kings, was that a straight BBB or BBB with an extra AS?

Straight BBB without AS.
Reply 17
:eek: that's good then! Well not for me, i rang admissions the woman was SO unhelpful, didn't want to tell me anything, just referred me 2 the website so i had 2 very very quickly put in my question... If you resit, you have to get an A in that subject :frown: i bet she just said that to get me off the phone! You'd think there would be some interest in wanting to do her job properly. I think anyone who can, should definitely consider applying there (despite the woman).
Reply 18
do you mean resitting the year or resitting some of the modules?
Reply 19
resitting the year, lol don't worry

Latest

Trending

Trending