Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anal cover letter question

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to J.P. Morgan Asset Management.

In the first instance on my cover letter I will write out the above in full. However, if I want to refer to the it again, is it acceptable to shorten it to "JPMAM" or "J.P.M.A.M." or neither? On their website, I think they use JPMAM, but I'm not sure if it is appropriate for a cover letter.

Also, is JPMAM a firm, or a division, or a department etc. (i.e. "I would like to apply to your _____").
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    This isn't relevant but I was really amused by the title for some reason.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Completely off topic. But what the hell is an Anal cover letter? :p:?!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    This isn't relevant but I was really amused by the title for some reason.
    heheh same
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you should read this.

If it doesn't answer your questions, don't bother applying.

For my token TSR arse wiping, I present:

The information on this Site is approved for issue by JPMorgan Asset Management (UK) Limited, JPMorgan Life Limited and JPMorgan Asset Management Marketing Limited (which is part of the JPMorgan Asset Management ("JPMAM") marketing group, which sells investments, life assurance and pension products). All are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaaaz)
    I think you should read this.

If it doesn't answer your questions, don't bother applying.

For my token TSR arse wiping, I present:
    Yes Mr. SmartyPants, but at the following link:

http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/jpmorgan/am/uk

look at the box to the right. It clearly says J.P. Morgan Asset Management, not JPMorgan Asset Management.

And this is not the only instance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Flip a coin and stop wasting our time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by szeles)
    Flip a coin and stop wasting our time.
    Sorry, I didn't realise your time was so valuable.

If you didn't have anything useful to contribute, then why post?

And maybe you didn't realise, but correctly referring to the firm you're applying to, is usually seen as quite important.

Uncouth little runt.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty confident, NAY, SURE that you should write the same acronym that they use on their disclaimer.

But then, what do I know.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would refer to them as JPMorgan, which is perfectly acceptable, and the Asset Management Division. I would start with I am applying to JPMorgan Asset Management... but wouldn't call it that throughout the letter because that would be far too long winded. Equally, the abbreviation isn't really appropriate in this sense. So when you're talking about JP, use JPMorgan, talking about the division, use Asset Management, but you don't need to say the whole thing at every point.

While it may be a separate legal entity for errrm legal reasons, it is still a part of the JPMorgan group, and therefore I think division would be fine.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gengels)

In the first instance on my cover letter I will write out the above in full. However, if I want to refer to the it again, is it acceptable to shorten it to "JPMAM" or "J.P.M.A.M." or neither? On their website, I think they use JPMAM, but I'm not sure if it is appropriate for a cover letter.

Also, is JPMAM a firm, or a division, or a department etc. (i.e. "I would like to apply to your _____").
    It doesn't matter what you abbreviate it to so long as it is clear what you are referring to. If you're really worried about it, put whatever you decide to abbreviate it to in brackets after the initial mention of the name. eg.g J.P Morgan Asset Management (JPMAM)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I didn't realise your time was so valuable.

If you didn't have anything useful to contribute, then why post?

And maybe you didn't realise, but correctly referring to the firm you're applying to, is usually seen as quite important.

Uncouth little runt.
    Hmmm...as luck has it, my flatmate happens to work for JPM Asset Management. I could ask her for some advice but guess what - I won't. Good luck big boy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay - some differing opinions.

But yes, I didn't think JPMAM looked right either. I think I'll use "your Asset Management division".

Thanks to all those who have made a positive contribution to this thread.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought anal was something else?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

J.P. Morgan Asset Management (JPMAM) is a safe bet (it's what they use on their website).

Don't ever, ever, ever use J.P.M.A.M. - that's abuse of the full stop.

"I would like to apply to JPMAM" would do, but I would call Asset Management a division.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

are you a wykehamist just out of curiosity
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like the title of your post...Made me click on it from my feed reader..you should try marketing or sales..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is so anal, I'm feeling it in the back of my throat.

Have some common sense for Allah's sake.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay - some differing opinions.

But yes, I didn't think JPMAM looked right either. I think I'll use "your Asset Management division".

Thanks to all those who have made a positive contribution to this thread.
    please don't write "your asset management division", it makes you sound as if you write the same thing for every bank and just change the title a bit. JPMAM is fine.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2008
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.