The Student Room Group

Looking for some advice [Philosophy Alevel]

Here's the low down guys. My girlfriend and I are travelling next year, so I decided after being somewhat disappointed with my Alevel results to take a 'fast track' A level in Philosophy.

My plan was to take the old AQA specification in January (AS) and June (A2) 2009.
The thing is, the old specification won't allow January exams, so I'd have to take my entire AS + A2 exams in June 09!

Yet, if I were to take the new specification, I'd have to take 2 years out since they won't be setting the A2 exams until 2010. This is not feasible.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Such as 'Don't even try to do all those exams in June'? How tough would it be?

Thanks in advance.
It would be 6 exams but the AQA philosophy synoptic is done earlier about March/April so would only be 5 exams..I'm sure you could manage but would have to work hard. I just finished aqa philosophy so if you want any advice etc i'd be happy to help in any way....would you be doing it through a college or distance learning?
I fast-tracked philosophy this year (AQA) and it was ok. It took a bit of adjusting to for the first month or so, but the modules (except the synoptic) are pretty stand alone, so you can learn the A2 modules without having to have already done the ASs.

It wasn't really too hard - I didn't do much work until a couple of weeks before the exams and still managed an A. It's pretty interesting as well.

So, I say go for it :biggrin:
Reply 3
snow_white_forever
It would be 6 exams but the AQA philosophy synoptic is done earlier about March/April so would only be 5 exams..I'm sure you could manage but would have to work hard. I just finished aqa philosophy so if you want any advice etc i'd be happy to help in any way....would you be doing it through a college or distance learning?

It would be distance learning. That sounds like quite a lot of work! I've already read a couple of the texts in my own time (since Philosophy was a bit of a hobby) so I guess I have a head start there.

I'm going to be working full time as well which is going to really limit me as well. How would you describe the course? Is there a lot of material to read? Is there a lot to take in or is it understanding basic concepts and writer's ideas?

I believe I have a chance since I really enjoy Philosophy and would be ready to put the work in.

Another problem has also arisen though... finding a centre who'll give me 4 hours supervised work for my synoptic. Nowhere seems to want to.

Thanks for your advice, it's a great help!
Reply 4
marshmallow88
I fast-tracked philosophy this year (AQA) and it was ok. It took a bit of adjusting to for the first month or so, but the modules (except the synoptic) are pretty stand alone, so you can learn the A2 modules without having to have already done the ASs.

It wasn't really too hard - I didn't do much work until a couple of weeks before the exams and still managed an A. It's pretty interesting as well.

So, I say go for it :biggrin:

Did you take the AS in January then the A2 in June? If so, do you think you'd have been able to remember it all if both sets of exams were in June? :P

Thanks for your response it's encouraging!
If you're only doing that subject, and you put in the effort, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to cope, or indeed excel.
I think enjoying the subject will help a lot!! I did the A2 plus one AS module distance learning so it can be done. Understanding philosophy for as/a2 b plus books helped but i mainly used the internet and went through past papers and mark schemes.

For AS i took - theory of knowledge
philosphy of religion
and Marx and Engels

a2 - philosophy of mind
Bertrand Russell and the synoptic

I'm sure you can do it
Reply 7
snow_white_forever
I think enjoying the subject will help a lot!! I did the A2 plus one AS module distance learning so it can be done. Understanding philosophy for as/a2 b plus books helped but i mainly used the internet and went through past papers and mark schemes.

For AS i took - theory of knowledge
philosphy of religion
and Marx and Engels

a2 - philosophy of mind
Bertrand Russell and the synoptic

I'm sure you can do it

Thanks for your encouragement guys. I'm pretty set on doing it. Now just got to sort out somewhere to take the exams. I can take all of the modules bar 6 with my local college so I'm going to need to look a little further afield.

Snow white - how did you do the synoptic with distance learning? The place you took the exams with just gave you the 4 hour supervision?

Thanks again everyone.
Aesop
Did you take the AS in January then the A2 in June? If so, do you think you'd have been able to remember it all if both sets of exams were in June? :P

Thanks for your response it's encouraging!

No, had to do it all in June. It's only five exams so it wasn't too bad, and the synoptic is easy enough as long as you prepare for it.
I did it with the college i did my AS which is probably why they let me do it...i ended up finishing my a-levels distance learning due to going into hospital and was easier to teach myself.

if once your doing the course you get stuck or need advice on how to structure good essay etc looks like the guys on here + me will be more than happy to have a look through anything. i hope you find somewhere where you can do the synoptic
like marshmallow said synoptic is easy if you prepare because you know the question and with the help of notes can remember everything from a draft copy done b4 exam... does look daunting a first but once you start writing feels much simpler
like marshmallow said synoptic is easy if you prepare because you know the question and with the help of notes can remember everything from a draft copy done b4 exam... does look daunting a first but once you start writing feels much better
like marshmallow said synoptic is easy if you prepare because you know the question and with the help of notes can remember everything from a draft copy done b4 exam... does look daunting a first but once you start writing feels much better
oops!! sorry computer went funny didnt mean to send it more than 1 lol
Reply 14
Right, I'm convinced. God I love this site.

Going to have to phone around tomorrow since most places shut at 5.

Thank you all here, rep will be handed out when the site allows me!

Latest