The Student Room Group
Why? They haven't even started collisions yet...
Reply 2
If you believed the **** about the world ending, then yes. It probably will be.
wtf! Pointless thread, didnt they only turn it on yesterday,
And if we are going to be sucked into a micro black hole, im sure i read it would be anytime within a month...if it happens that is :rolleyes:
I though people would be bored of making LHC threads now.

And whats more annoying, is when people make a thread and just put the word "Discuss". why dont you ****ing discuss it.
Only if the scientists had said "Yes, the world is definitely going to end" would it be an anticlimax. Tabloid media and playground rumours don't count.

Saying that, I feel sorry for the girl in India who killed herself thinking the world was going to end :frown:
RightSaidJames
Only if the scientists had said "Yes, the world is definitely going to end" would it be an anticlimax. Tabloid media and playground rumours don't count.

Saying that, I feel sorry for the girl in India who killed herself thinking the world was going to end :frown:

:rofl: Seriously? What was the point? :s-smilie:
Collisions haven't started yet. It was powered on and now they are testing to see if they can get the particles up to speed in both directions.

Collisions aren't scheduled to begin for a little while yet anyway.

Can you guys image what the reaction would be sometime in the future when they build the successor to the LHC?
m4n0ran
Discuss.

They've not started the 'real' experiments yet. All they are doing right now is limbering up and fine tunning the calibration.

Besides, the chances of something dangerous and fantastical happening are beyond tiny. All that is likely to happen is someone reads something interesting from a computer screen.

Personally, I can't wait. This whole field of physics sends shivers down my spine!
Reply 8
Probably medias fault, but there was a massive build up then we learn that it will take 2-3 years to find out.

/yawn.
LiberiFatali
Collisions haven't started yet. It was powered on and now they are testing to see if they can get the particles up to speed in both directions.

Collisions aren't scheduled to begin for a little while yet anyway.

Can you guys image what the reaction would be sometime in the future when they build the successor to the LHC?

I don't think there will be one. Unless something new comes up there will be no need. I wont bother to explain but I'm right.
According to some lady on the BBC news it might be a year or so until we know the results of this. How could it possibly be an anti-climax after a day? What did you expect would have happened by now?
Darkened Angel
:rofl: Seriously? What was the point? :s-smilie:

Yup, she drank pesticide. Presumably she thought that would be less painful than being sucked into a black hole. Actually, people in India in general had been taking it much more seriously than everyone else, and one person took it way too seriously.
Reply 12
No

Just no.
Reply 13
tis_me_lord
According to some lady on the BBC news it might be a year or so until we know the results of this. How could it possibly be an anti-climax after a day? What did you expect would have happened by now?

Probably more like 2-3 years. It all depends on how heavy the Higgs Boson (assuming it exists) is.
RightSaidJames
Yup, she drank pesticide. Presumably she thought that would be less painful than being sucked into a black hole. Actually, people in India in general had been taking it much more seriously than everyone else, and one person took it way too seriously.

Ouch! It's quite disturbing that media can get away with scaremongering like this.

Latest