The Student Room Group

University of Bristol Vs Warwick plz help

I got 3As in A-levels(accounting,eco,math) I am starting my first year at Bristol this September.. course accounting and finance but i still confused whether i should go to Bristol .if i don't go to Bristol this year i can easily get into warwick next year if i give an extra AS-Level.I neep help whether it is worth taking a gap year and what should i do??:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why aren't you happy with Bristol?
Reply 2
bristol's a good uni, why the switch? warwick and bristol are both very equal in prestige
Reply 3
because warwick has a higher course ranking
Reply 4
paksan

So? OP, there is still a chance that may not get into Warwick next year if you reapply. Plus, Bristol is a great uni, and in itself has a great rep, I would say about equal to that of Warwick's. If you don't like the uni then fine, but if it's for a silly thing like the ranking, then I just think it's a stupid thing to do.
Reply 5
paksan

bollocks to that. rankings are ****. both unis are respected similarly, both unis will give you a good footing in employment.
Reply 6
There is no point in risking all to go to Warick unless your really unhappy at Bristol. They are both equal in prestige. Anyway, remember its not just about course ranking. Its about the actual University, the course and its location. Whilst Bristol Uni is the city, the Warick campus is essentially "in the middle of nowhere."
Reply 7
Is this a troll?

The difference between the two isn't worth losing a year of your life.
Reply 8
really ... thanks a lot everyone .... i think i should go to bristol....also since I am an international student i have to pay a lot that is why i was so worried as i want to make the best decision possible
Bristol's great. I have an unhealthy obsession with it.
Reply 10
jelly1000
the Warick campus is essentially "in the middle of nowhere."

Are you sure? :confused: Have you ever been? I'm guessing you haven't as it really isn't "in the middle of nowhere" at all.

To the OP, generally Bristol and Warwick are pretty equal in terms of prestige although Warwick does have a particularly good business school and Accyfin course. Having said this I still think in your position that it would be preferable to just go to Bristol as the difference between the courses isn't great enough to justify switching now.
Reply 11
envious
Are you sure? :confused: Have you ever been? I'm guessing you haven't as it really isn't "in the middle of nowhere" at all.

Exactly. As I've said many times, Warwick isn't in the "middle of nowhere".

Warwick, although its campus is very much a matter of taste, is on the edge of Covernty, a large city. It take 20 minutes to get there, and it still forms one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country (alongside Birmingham).

It just seems that any small city (or campus based uni) which isn't based in he centre of a major, bustling city is in the middle of nowhere.

To me, middle of nowhere suggests just that, somewhere truly isolated and rural, around forty miles from the nearest village.
River85
Exactly. As I've said many times, Warwick isn't in the "middle of nowhere".

Warwick, although its campus is very much a matter of taste, is on the edge of Covernty, a large city. It take 20 minutes to get there, and it still forms one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country (alongside Birmingham).

It just seems that any small city (or campus based uni) which isn't based in he centre of a major, bustling city is in the middle of nowhere.

To me, middle of nowhere suggests just that, somewhere truly isolated and rural, around forty miles from the nearest village.

20 minutes by Car is a long way. It's not like yoyu can just pop down to coventry for a pint of milk is it. Middle of nowhere connotes more than walking distance from the nearest city and that criteria is certainly filled by Warwick.
Reply 13
Complex Simplicity
20 minutes by Car is a long way. It's not like yoyu can just pop down to coventry for a pint of milk is it. Middle of nowhere connotes more than walking distance from the nearest city and that criteria is certainly filled by Warwick.

Well, not to me, but I suppose that just personal difference/difference in upbrining.

I can't comment on your upbrining, but I've been far more used to the countryside than cities, so for someone to say "middle of nowhere" I think of something quite different to a large(ish) campus university on the edge of a large city.

I mean, I live in a semi-rural village (on the fringes of Tyne and Wear - country's fifth largest metropolitan area I think) and it take me at least 20 minutes by bus (usually half an hour or more) to get into Newcastle (although it's quicker to the MetroCentre). This, to me, isn't the middle of nowhere. Not compared to some places up the road from me (in Northumberland national park) or the Scottish highlands. A little isolated hamlet situated on moorland, that's in the middle of nowhere.

Besides, surely Warwick has some campus shops, or shops nearby with basic day to day stuff?
River85
Well, not to me, but I suppose that just personal difference/difference in upbrining.

I can't comment on your upbrining, but I've been far more used to the countryside than cities, so for someone to say "middle of nowhere" I think of something quite different to a large(ish) campus university on the edge of a large city.

I mean, I live in a semi-rural village (on the fringes of Tyne and Wear - country's fifth largest metropolitan area I think) and it take me at least 20 minutes by bus (usually half an hour or more) to get into Newcastle (although it's quicker to the MetroCentre). This, to me, isn't the middle of nowhere. Not compared to some places up the road from me (in Northumberland national park) or the Scottish highlands. A little isolated hamlet situated on moorland, that's in the middle of nowhere.

Besides, surely Warwick has some campus shops, or shops nearby with basic day to day stuff?

Good point- it probably is due to perception. I'm from london where coventry is considered a small park :p:
Reply 15
What career are you interested in afterwards?
Reply 16
abdom0n
What career are you interested in afterwards?

Well I want to work for an accounting firm---audit department
Complex Simplicity
Good point- it probably is due to perception. I'm from london where coventry is considered a small park :p:

Everything is a small park compared to London. Warwick has everything on site (your milk thing would be bought on site :p: plus a Tescos on the doorstep ). It's about 15 min drive to the city centre, but the city is literally around the corner.

Personally op, you'd be a bit mad to waste a whole year. Bristol is quality. I'd go there.
Reply 18
Yeah, basically, don't be ****ing ridiculous - go to Bristol.
Bristol is about equal with Warwick in terms of prestige in the UK (But Bristol is higher in terms of international ranking), so definitely not worth taking a gap year for (unless you really want to take a gap year)

Quick Reply