The Student Room Group

University choice 2009

My choices for straight law (LLB) - UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Bristol. I would have liked to add my 6th choice as Exeter however, as we are only allowed 5 choices - what do you think? Are these unis good for job and training contracts - What unis do top city firms prefer?
Should I change my choices as I have already bagged AAA in Economics, Geography and Sociology?
HATE LNAT!
HELP!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1
Of course, those are amongst the best universities in the country and certainly the top law schools. UCL, LSE, Durham and probably Bristol are all elite unis (alongside Oxbridge and Nottingham. Nottingham for the city at least). By "elite" I mean those that have traditionally dominated the bar and are most frequently targeted/produce the greatest number of grads going into the city firms. Warwick isn't far behind at all.

LSE, as far as I know, don't do the LNAT. Cambridge have dropped it, would you consider them?
Reply 2
May consider Cambridge. I was informed that I should drop Warwick for Exeter - What do you think?
Reply 3
You have five high risk choices there, whether or not you put in Cambridge instead of one of them. I would strongly advise putting in a lower risk choice, unless you are happy to run the risk of looking for a place through Extra next March. You turned down a perfectly good place at QMUL apparently in the belief that AAA entitled you to "better". Unfortunately, it doesn't.
djdavian
My choices for straight law (LLB) - UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Bristol. I would have liked to add my 6th choice as Exeter however, as we are only allowed 5 choices - what do you think? Are these unis good for job and training contracts - What unis do top city firms prefer?
Should I change my choices as I have already bagged AAA in Economics, Geography and Sociology?
HATE LNAT!
HELP!!!!!!!!!

get rid of one uni and replace with AAB and get rid of another one and replace with ABB/BBB. This way you get a safety net in case you mess up at A2 and have a good insurance and it also gives you a safety net during the conditional offer stage in case you don't get any offers.
Reply 5
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
get rid of one uni and replace with AAB and get rid of another one and replace with ABB/BBB. This way you get a safety net in case you mess up at A2 and have a good insurance and it also gives you a safety net during the conditional offer stage in case you don't get any offers.
He's already done his A2s - so this is irrelevant.
Reply 6
djdavian
May consider Cambridge. I was informed that I should drop Warwick for Exeter - What do you think?

Up to you. Grades shouldn't be an issue, as you have both. It comes down to location and more personal factors. Warwick is campus based, on the edge of Conventry. MAny love the campus, many hate it. Coventry also splits opinions. But it's neverthless a popular university and has appeal.

Exeter is smaller, more sedate and quieter than a large city such as Coventry or Birmingham. Good countryside nearby and, as Boosh will tell you, a decent local music scene.

The difference in reputation, in law anyway, is negligible.
Reply 7
Warwick or Exeter - Which one is more recognised - That is the question!
Reply 8
djdavian
Warwick or Exeter - Which one is more recognised - That is the question!

As I said, in law the difference is negligible. There really isn't a great difference.

Generally Warwick would edge it, in law they're even.
Reply 9
Thanks River85. I might just stick to my original choice. Thinking of serious gapping after Lnat, PS and Ucas application.

Latest

Trending

Trending