The Student Room Group
e is an irrational number 2.718...ln is log base e - similar to 10^x = 100 => x = log 100 = 2
e is the number such that the integral and differential of the function f(x) is always the same, where f(x) = e^x.
ln is the inverse function
Reply 3
if e = 2.718 then the gradient of the function equals the function. If y = e^x then dy/dx = e^x. ln is the inverse function of e so think if e^x = 7, multiplying both by the inverse gives x = ln7
Reply 4
Hmm, I'm assuming the OP is doing Edexcel(If I'm wrong I apologise) . Exponential and natural logs comes before the differentiation chapter.

ddxax=axlna \frac{d}{dx} a^x = a^x lna is a C4 concept.

The power series for e^x is a FP3 concept (probably soon to change).

So talking about these are probably not in the best interest of the OP if they're struggling to comprehend what the function e^x and lnx is.

Hrov: Firstly I would ask you to read your textbook, and then come back and ask questions on things you don't understand from that.
JohnnySPal
As an exercise, see if you can prove the following result:
ddxax=axlnx\frac{d}{dx}a^x = a^x\ln{x} (a is a real number)
It follows that if you find the x such that lnx=1, you get backwhat

This should be ddxax=lna×ax\dfrac{\text{d}}{\text{d}x} a^x = \ln a \times a^x.
Reply 6
(I deleted my last message)

e is just a number. So the graph of e^x will be just like y=2^x or y=7^x. e has some special properties though, and through some work you can find that when you differentiate e^x you get e^x back (unlike with, say, 3^x or 194^x).

It's easy to forget that the exponential function is just the graph y = 2.7818...^x :smile:

The log function lnx is the just inverse of the exponential function e^x. So you'll have:
e^(lnx) = x, and
ln(e^x) = xlne = x

e^x = 7
ln both sides:
ln(e^x) = ln7
Use your logarithm rules:
xlne = ln7
Use the fact that lne=1 **:
x = ln7

** Because e^x and lnx are inverses, you can draw the graph of lnx by just drawing the mirror of y=e^x in the line y=x. From the graph y=lnx it then becomes "obvious" why lne=1 - because the point (1,e) is on the graph y=e^x, the point (e,1) will be on the graph y=lnx.
Reply 7
insparato
Hmm, I'm assuming the OP is doing Edexcel(If I'm wrong I apologise) . Exponential and natural logs comes before the differentiation chapter.

ddxax=axlna \frac{d}{dx} a^x = a^x lna is a C4 concept.

The power series for e^x is a FP3 concept (probably soon to change).

So talking about these are probably not in the best interest of the OP if they're struggling to comprehend what the function e^x and lnx is.

Hrov: Firstly I would ask you to read your textbook, and then come back and ask questions on things you don't understand from that.

Im doing aqa c3
Reply 8
Hrov
Im doing aqa c3

Same, Its ****(N) Oh well. Hope to scrape a C next June:smile:
Reply 9
JohnnySPal
(I deleted my last message)

e is just a number. So the graph of e^x will be just like y=2^x or y=7^x. e has some special properties though, and through some work you can find that when you differentiate e^x you get e^x back (unlike with, say, 3^x or 194^x).

It's easy to forget that the exponential function is just the graph y = 2.7818...^x :smile:

The log function lnx is the just inverse of the exponential function e^x. So you'll have:
e^(lnx) = x, and
ln(e^x) = xlne = x

e^x = 7
ln both sides:
ln(e^x) = ln7
Use your logarithm rules:
xlne = ln7
Use the fact that lne=1 **:
x = ln7

** Because e^x and lnx are inverses, you can draw the graph of lnx by just drawing the mirror of y=e^x in the line y=x. From the graph y=lnx it then becomes "obvious" why lne=1 - because the point (1,e) is on the graph y=e^x, the point (e,1) will be on the graph y=lnx.

ok im starting to understand, but dont know why the lne disappears from the left hand side, why or how does lne = 1
lne=1\displaystyle\ln{e}=1
Remember that if logba=xbx=a\log_b a = x \Leftrightarrow b^x = a. So if lne=1e1=e\ln e = 1 \Leftrightarrow e^1 = e, which is correct.

Latest