The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Second Years' brilliant thread of mathematical madness

Scroll to see replies

silent ninja
I've added a language to boost it well over 150 CATS (need to get permission once we get in). Can I do the module for no credit? It's 24 CATS alone and I'm aiming for 130-140 CATS. I have considered picking up a language in the second year, but if I do a basic module now I can do a little more advanced ones then.

Someone I knew took up Spanish and didn't want it to count for credit. So the answer is yes, you can.

If you feel as though you'd do well on a language course, you could always take it up in a later year so that it counts towards more of your degree. Another friend of mine took up French in her third year and she didn't do too badly from that at all.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 61
JohnnySPal
Someone I knew took up Spanish and didn't want it to count for credit. So the answer is yes, you can.

If you feel as though you'd do well on a language course, you could always take it up in a later year so that it counts towards more of your degree. Another friend of mine took up French in her third year and she didn't do too badly from that at all.

Hey Johnny I got a question for ya: in general, how do third year grades compare to those of the second year? From what I've heard, grades go down from first to second year (which seems to be true for most people I know) and then tend to go back up in he third year.

What are you up to now that you're done with your degree? Job hunting much?
Krush
Hey Johnny I got a question for ya: in general, how do third year grades compare to those of the second year? From what I've heard, grades go down from first to second year (which seems to be true for most people I know) and then tend to go back up in he third year.

What are you up to now that you're done with your degree? Job hunting much?

Personally, I found that I deviated very little. My best and worst year mark differ by about 3%. I'd cautiously hope to go up a bit - you do need to work for it though! I found the third year well worth the two years of tedious building-up - I actually quite enjoyed most of the work we did!

I'm doing much job hunting, aye. I have phone and face-to-face interviews lined up now, so it's not going too badly. I really should have started searching for jobs sooner. Don't put it off - it's actually easier than you think once you get started :smile:
So looking at the Personal Lecture Timetable (which yes, updates overnight if you click confirm), when do we find out when our seminars and other non-registered classes run? What if they clash?

9 days to go 'til term :eek:
Reply 64
u'll find out in the first week of term, u can choose the class which doesn't cause any clashes
Reply 65
silent ninja
9 days to go 'til term :eek:

Im not looking forward to it! Looking at the threads here, they say the second year is "much, much harder" than the first!
ramdayal
u'll find out in the first week of term, u can choose the class which doesn't cause any clashes

Ah okay thanks.

Second year sounds almost impossible. "Put me off maths for life" and the like dont inspire confidence. A friend (who got a first@ Warwick maths couple years ago) found his final year the hardest. I suppose it varies, but i'm sure you'll be fine. Everyone will struggle the same!
Reply 67
for the intro to quantitative economics module, would there be any use in bringing an economics my a level text book? ages ago my mum bought me a "mathematics for economics and finance" book..would this be more use? obviously the a level one doesn't include any maths..but i'm not sure how much economics theory is in the module. the description of the module makes it sounds like it's not all that mathematical..but i found an old exam paper and there seemed to be lots of numbers! so yeah, that confused me. any advice would be fantastical! :smile:
Reply 68
oh, and also..would there be any use in bringing my FP1,2 or 3 a level text books? or S1,2,3?
Reply 69
Hey does anybody know what philosophy for science is like? I'm really interested in taking it but the assessment options are either a 2500 word essay or an exam though. Any idea? It sounds really interesting...
So what's the difference between MA113 Differential Equations A by Kirkilionis and MA133 Differential Equations by Wood? The first is 6 CATS as opposed to 12, but it's taught in the second term which would be good for me looking at the congested timetable. I dont mind either, which lecturer is better? Advice? I cant find any details of MA113 on the website.
One is for people not doing straight maths. You definitely want the 12 CAT Dave Wood course if you're on G100/3
JohnnySPal
One is for people not doing straight maths. You definitely want the 12 CAT Dave Wood course if you're on G100/3

That includes me then-- not doing straight maths. We can choose either on OMR. Is Dave Wood good?
silent ninja
That includes me then-- not doing straight maths. We can choose either on OMR. Is Dave Wood good?

I'd consult your tutor first to make sure. However, if you can take either I'd pick Wood over Kirklionis any day of the week. I like diff eqns so I would choose the chunkier module, but IMO Dave is a better AND a legend.
Reply 74
zychan1
Hey does anybody know what philosophy for science is like? I'm really interested in taking it but the assessment options are either a 2500 word essay or an exam though. Any idea? It sounds really interesting...
I presume you mean Philosophy of Science? It wasn't too bad last year, if you are interested in that sort of thing. (Last year it looked at reductionism, teleology, free will, and life, but I think the course varies dramatically each year.) If you want to take it, the assessment option that you need is the exam.
How was the first Analysis I for everyone, fun?
It's a nicer start than I was expecting, but I guess it gets very hard very quick after the first introduction week.
benwellsday
How was the first Analysis I for everyone, fun?
It's a nicer start than I was expecting, but I guess it gets very hard very quick after the first introduction week.

i thought it was ok, bit of a boring lecture tbh but the example sheets are quite good.

i'm gonna try and get them done tonight xD
DEs lecture was good :^_^:
Reply 78
Dave Wood is superb. DE is worth going to any day of the week.
calcium878
DEs lecture was good :^_^:

I saw j000.

I thought that the vectors and matrices lecturer was actually better than Wood.

Quick Reply

Latest