The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Second Years' brilliant thread of mathematical madness

Scroll to see replies

Totally Tom
I saw j000.

I thought that the vectors and matrices lecturer was actually better than Wood.

Samir Siksek by any chace? Oh aye, what a guy.

He ought to be good, mind, his routine must be very well rehearsed by now. Don't suppose he "forgot" about the string on the blackboard, did he? :p:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
JohnnySPal
Samir Siksek by any chace? Oh aye, what a guy.

He ought to be good, mind, his routine must be very well rehearsed by now. Don't suppose he "forgot" about the string on the blackboard, did he? :p:

yup that's the guy. and no he didn't
but he's still ace :biggrin:
I believe we were all there at the off-chance of hearing a dirty joke, especially once realising we had to go back over all htat complex number work. People didn't hear the guy shout out "Tell a dirty joke" up at the top, they were well confused when we all got called perverts! Good times.
Totally Tom
I saw j000.

I thought that the vectors and matrices lecturer was actually better than Wood.

I saw you too :coma:
Vectors was good aswell. Definitely preferred the latter two lectures today!
already stuck on damn analysis sheet
no idea how to approach it :/
Reply 85
benwellsday
How was the first Analysis I for everyone, fun?
Who is the lecturer for Analysis I this year? Peter Walters?
Reply 86
Kolya
Who is the lecturer for Analysis I this year? Peter Walters?

Mark Policott for the purebloods, Xeu-Mei Li for the scourge.
Yeah we have Mark on the typical maths course. I've got to about question 3 on the sheets and that took an effort. Do you think the supervisors care if the answer is full of scribbles? I thought of a far better way to answer a question on the way out...
Reply 88
benwellsday
Yeah we have Mark on the typical maths course. I've got to about question 3 on the sheets and that took an effort. Do you think the supervisors care if the answer is full of scribbles? I thought of a far better way to answer a question on the way out...

Yes they do mind scribbles. You needn't worry for this booklet, mind you - it is marked but unassessed. The only thing at risk otherwise would be the clarity mark. Depends who your supervisor is, of course...
So I'm guessing generally you work out the answer first before writing it down. At least it's the unassessed one, and so far it doesn't look too bad although some of the techniques haven't been taught yet (e.g. induction) so I can see some people getting stuck.
i've almost done the analysis booklet thingeh (don't know if i'm right with it though) i'm just a bit stuck on that question where you have to go from xn<ynx^n<y^n first part was ok. meeh. i've got an idea for a way to prove it but meeeh i don't know.

and for the blue one, i think this is true |x+y|=|x|+|y| but can we just draw a picture and wave our hands?
cat_2002_12
already stuck on damn analysis sheet
no idea how to approach it :/

explains.
In the analysis 'workbook' it says contrapositive is important, and we should learn it in foundations, but it looks pretty simple.
Two statements, p and q.
If p, then q, p => q
Then with the contrapositive thing I think it means
If not p, then not q, not p => not q.

It still didn't make the question very easy though, but I think I've got something, I don't know how much to assume with analysis, it's like not even being allowed to think of 1 + 1 being 2.
For the modulus inequalities did you do it all in seperate cases? I can't think how else you could do it, but the question says to use seperate cases where neccesary, which implies they are a last resort.
benwellsday
In the analysis 'workbook' it says contrapositive is important, and we should learn it in foundations, but it looks pretty simple.
Two statements, p and q.
If p, then q, p => q
Then with the contrapositive thing I think it means
If not p, then not q, not p => not q.

It still didn't make the question very easy though, but I think I've got something, I don't know how much to assume with analysis, it's like not even being allowed to think of 1 + 1 being 2.
For the modulus inequalities did you do it all in seperate cases? I can't think how else you could do it, but the question says to use seperate cases where neccesary, which implies they are a last resort.

i was thinking along the lines of a contradiction also. errrrrm, yes. i used separate cases for them all. (i think) wrote it up yesterday. i had a fun day xD
Reply 94
Totally Tom
i was thinking along the lines of a contradiction also. errrrrm, yes. i used separate cases for them all. (i think) wrote it up yesterday. i had a fun day xD

Time to start the workbooks. xD
I still can't pick my optional modules. We're not allowed to take Vectors and Matrices (covered in linear algebra anyway apparently) or Differential Equations (Diff A instead) despite it showing on OMR because maths is oversubscribed again, so that leaves me with little to choose.

I might go for Stats Lab 1 because it's all done and dusted in term 1. And possible Intro to Astronomy*-- the booklet says Physics A level is a prerequisite but I cant find anyone in the physics department to confirm whether i'm able to do it (I only have AS) :confused:

And why does Mathematics by Computer clash with Applications of Algebra and Analysis :s-smilie:

*this is a term 2 module-- can i take it and de-register, if I decide otherwise, later in the year after the 17 Oct deadline?

Edit: looks like MA134 Geometry and Motion is a prerequisite for several modules, including PDEs which look interesting. Is this doable without Differential Equations as Diff A is taught in parallel?
silent ninja
I still can't pick my optional modules. We're not allowed to take Vectors and Matrices (covered in linear algebra anyway apparently) or Differential Equations (Diff A instead) despite it showing on OMR because maths is oversubscribed again, so that leaves me with little to choose.

I might go for Stats Lab 1 because it's all done and dusted in term 1. And possible Intro to Astronomy*-- the booklet says Physics A level is a prerequisite but I cant find anyone in the physics department to confirm whether i'm able to do it (I only have AS) :confused:

And why does Mathematics by Computer clash with Applications of Algebra and Analysis :s-smilie:

*this is a term 2 module-- can i take it and de-register, if I decide otherwise, later in the year after the 17 Oct deadline?

our vectors and matricies lecture was a joke, there are more of us than seats in the biggest lecture theater in maths to start with, then there were a load of spazzed up students from other departments. i mean wtf. loads of people had to sit on the floor.

ON A SIDE NOTE: did anyone see that tit that turned up 15 minutes before the end of the test today and then didn't even have a pen. he just didn't seem to care. God that annoyed me so much.
Reply 97
How did the test go for you noobies?

And if you're complaining about Analyis now, I dread to see this thread in a few weeks time...
Totally Tom
our vectors and matricies lecture was a joke, there are more of us than seats in the biggest lecture theater in maths to start with, then there were a load of spazzed up students from other departments. i mean wtf. loads of people had to sit on the floor.

ON A SIDE NOTE: did anyone see that tit that turned up 15 minutes before the end of the test today and then didn't even have a pen. he just didn't seem to care. God that annoyed me so much.

ha

Those spazzes from other departments aren't supposed to be allowed in, so I was told. It's obviously a maths module and the maths dept-based students come first. Weird.
Intro to Quant Econ has over 200.

coffeym

How did the test go for you noobies?

I found it easy enough. Didn't do much revision but normal maths stuff seems so bloody easy now. No hard questions really-- i thought they might chuck in one for fun but thankfully they didn't.

There was one very generous question: if sinx= 13/15 (or something like that) and 0<x<pi/2, find cosx. That was worth 6/7 marks, I couldn't believe it and had to re-read the q a few times.
Boo @ oversubscribed lectures.
Yay @ getting possible the best seats in MS02.
Test was easy, I finished in an hour and slept the other 45 or so minutes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending