Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The "What Book Is This?" Thread

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay92)
    Hi Everyone

I read a book a while back and was wondering if anyone knew the name of it as it was a trilogy and I have forgotten the name.

The story revolves around a monk in the middle ages, he is the best friend of a king/noble. Has sex with a pregnant witch and eventually marries one of the evil people at the end of the first book.

Sorry, for being vague thats all I remember.
    (Original post by Jay92)
    nah this is a trilogy.

Also, the plot is about good(christianity) and evil fighting. Basically it gives weird reasons about why europe lost out on religon. Plus the guy was a monk and there were some devils/shapeshifters involve.

quoting for teh new page. Am thinking of signing up to a book reading club
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bit of an obscure request. I have very vague recollections of books I read when I was about 12/13 and they were very similar to trudi canavans books.

All I can remember is that there were immortals and gods and one of the main characters had purple eyes (he was immortal and didn't know it)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone help me and tell me what this book is. Its been bugging me since ages.
    Basically what I remember is it is a novel set in Russia . The boy is called George , he protects the tsar when his friend is going to shot him. Then he is taken to their palace and his job is to look after the tsars son. There he falls in love with tsar's daughter who is called zoya and then they get married ,. When they are old they still love each other like before. She has cancer. He's really upset, doesn't want her to go . They go travelling.
    That's all I remember . thanks for any help
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i barely remember anything about this book but here goes:

a) it was a small book whose cover was black with green computer like lines on it i think
    b) it was about someone who could play an interactive video game
    c) one of the main characters was called/was a golem?

fail.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wondergirl01)
    anyone help me and tell me what this book is. Its been bugging me since ages.
    Basically what I remember is it is a novel set in Russia . The boy is called George , he protects the tsar when his friend is going to shot him. Then he is taken to their palace and his job is to look after the tsars son. There he falls in love with tsar's daughter who is called zoya and then they get married ,. When they are old they still love each other like before. She has cancer. He's really upset, doesn't want her to go . They go travelling.
    That's all I remember . thanks for any help
    The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    Bit of an obscure request. I have very vague recollections of books I read when I was about 12/13 and they were very similar to trudi canavans books.

All I can remember is that there were immortals and gods and one of the main characters had purple eyes (he was immortal and didn't know it)
    A bit of the old google search led me to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ogy_characters Im guessing this is it
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominic101)
    A bit of the old google search led me to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ogy_characters Im guessing this is it
    yeah that is the series, kudos on the googling though cos I tried for ages and ended up pming the person I borrowed them from when I was 12/13. lol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay this has been bothering me for ages. I know loadsd of information about it bit I cannot find what it is and google is failing me

A girl is giving birth and her best friend with her. Her friends name is Emily. As she's lying there she remembers all her ex boyfriends; her first one who appears throughout the book (Tony?), her second when she goes to study beauty therapy, he's doing a degree in History or something (Chris), then there's some guy at her dad/step mums wedding who turns out to be really right wing (Archie/Arnie) then there's someone called Mark who is apparently too nice and another guy.

Random tidbits of information:
    -At one point there's thefts going on at her work
    - The Coldpay song Yellow is mentioned
    - There's drama with her stepmum
    - It's set in the first person
    - I read it in around 2007 and it seemed fairly up to date.
    - It's set in England.
    -Written by a woman
    - Pretty sure the cover was cream
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    yeah that is the series, kudos on the googling though cos I tried for ages and ended up pming the person I borrowed them from when I was 12/13. lol.
    XD it was a lot of effort to find that trilogy I can understand you you ended up pming that person
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey I read this book about 6 years ago that was amazing.
    It was fairly old, of the fantasy genre with the cover of the book having a distinct light-blue rim.
    I remember something about clocks or something, the book had a total "narnia" feel, apart from that I cannot remember much at all :{
    any help would be appreciated!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    OMFG NEVER MIND I THINK I FOUND IT
    I googled "books that are like narnia" and it came up¬!
    OMG
    its called "the phantom tollbooth"
    OMG
    MY TITS ARE SO EXCITE RN.
    there are no words.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read this book a couple of years ago, it was one of the funniest books i've ever read. Its basically about this evil guy who worked at a record label signing new acts. Basically he took loads of drugs, slept around, killed someone i think? but it was written as a kind of satire.

I've spent 30 mins trying to google it to no avail, i just can't remember the name.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    I read this book a couple of years ago, it was one of the funniest books i've ever read. Its basically about this evil guy who worked at a record label signing new acts. Basically he took loads of drugs, slept around, killed someone i think? but it was written as a kind of satire.

I've spent 30 mins trying to google it to no avail, i just can't remember the name.
    A&R by Bill Flanagan?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I was about 10 or so, I read a 'three in one' book. The children in all the three stories were the same. The details are a bit hazy, but:

Story 1 - Some children went to an alien spaceship, where they met an alien called Ekweel 12 or something like that.
    Story 2 - Loads of giant blocks of ice with people frozen inside suddenly appeared. They then thawed out and the children had to run around putting everything right. I remember one of them hotwired a car at some point.
    Story 3 - The children went to a castle, and there were some trolls and a witch. There was one point where one of the children got stuck in a cobweb, and one of the others used their lighter to burn them free.

It's not much to go on, but I'll be eternally grateful to whoever can solve this for me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    A&R by Bill Flanagan?
    Close, but i don't think its that one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right here's one that's been bugging me for a couple of of days. I vaguely remember the books being a bit crap, but I want to know what they are.
    It's based in victorian(ish) England (poossibly London) and there's a robber who falls through the roof of a factory and gets ripped apart by a machine. He gets stitched back together and eventually becomes some sort of master criminal, despite being on the Opium and similar drugs fairly heavily. I think he becomes fairly well off and may well live in a hotel penthouse. I remember something about them going on a picnic and having toffee too, although that may be a different book again. I reckon there's 3 in the series at least.
    I recall reading these books about 4 or so years ago.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joelburr)
    Right here's one that's been bugging me for a couple of of days. I vaguely remember the books being a bit crap, but I want to know what they are.
    It's based in victorian(ish) England (poossibly London) and there's a robber who falls through the roof of a factory and gets ripped apart by a machine. He gets stitched back together and eventually becomes some sort of master criminal, despite being on the Opium and similar drugs fairly heavily. I think he becomes fairly well off and may well live in a hotel penthouse. I remember something about them going on a picnic and having toffee too, although that may be a different book again. I reckon there's 3 in the series at least.
    I recall reading these books about 4 or so years ago.
    The Montmorency Series by Eleanor Updale - the first book is called Montmorency, there are four in total.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbandtr4eva)
    The Montmorency Series by Eleanor Updale - the first book is called Montmorency, there are four in total.
    That's the one, thankyou I had the word Morrisey in my head, but I just didn't know why.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a book I haven't read but my mum told me about when I was around 14 and now cannot remember what I'm talking about.

Its a story about these travellers, when they travel to they go to one of a number of universes (its something like 7 worlds or something) and when they travel there they leave there bodies behind.

I THINK it follows one man, who is (like the others of his kind) being hunted by people in their main world (I assume this one). When these travellers visit other worlds, they leave their body behind.

Anybody know what this is? Thank you muchly for any help
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I only read this within the last year, but I can't remember what it was or who wrote it and I really enjoyed it! It was about this woman who was overweight and since she'd finished University and the guy she liked had moved away for a while she'd been losing the weight so that when he returned he'd fall in love with her. In the meantime she thinks she should get a "practice boyfriend" and ends up dating this really hot guy called Max who works with her sister (something to do with fashion). The woman also works in a library/archive and is trying to write a biography for someone. She also lives in a house that's converted into flats; her sister and her brother (and his wife, who is always horrible to her) live in the other 2. Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind! Much Googling found it for me!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 29, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.