Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The "What Book Is This?" Thread

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i got one, i dont remember much, i know theres a character in it whos a doctor, but has a growth hormone defficiency, and theres an orphan i think, who nearly dies, but after his near death experience he can see these creatures that apparently kill people who are dying, but it turns out there only taking the pain away. and i remember some form of weapon in it that involved encasing someone in cellophane basically, any ideas?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeajajosh)
    i got one, i dont remember much, i know theres a character in it whos a doctor, but has a growth hormone defficiency, and theres an orphan i think, who nearly dies, but after his near death experience he can see these creatures that apparently kill people who are dying, but it turns out there only taking the pain away. and i remember some form of weapon in it that involved encasing someone in cellophane basically, any ideas?
    The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    THANK YOU god thats been annoying me for months
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pleased I could help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok this is one i read a few years ago

it was about a chinese girl, and her parents put off binding her feet until she was older, and then she refused to let them do it. shed had an arranged engagement since she was about 2yrs old but the boys parents broke it off ebcause her feet werent bound. she took a job as an au pair for an american family and eventually moved to america with them, before marrying someone else and opening a restaurant with him.

any ideas?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it deffo wasnt chinese cinderella as i have that book at home, it was a similiar kind of story tho. i have an idea it was a true story but not certain. it was set a bit earlier in history than CC i think.. im also pretty sure it was by a chinese author
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodtogallop)
    ok this is one i read a few years ago

it was about a chinese girl, and her parents put off binding her feet until she was older, and then she refused to let them do it. shed had an arranged engagement since she was about 2yrs old but the boys parents broke it off ebcause her feet werent bound. she took a job as an au pair for an american family and eventually moved to america with them, before marrying someone else and opening a restaurant with him.

any ideas?
    Is it this?

Ties That Bind, Ties That Break by Lensey Namioka

http://www.amazon.com/Ties-that-Bind.../dp/0385326661
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes!!! oh my days thank you so much iv been looking for that book for yearrss!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes!!! oh my days thank you so much iv been looking for that book for yearrss!!
    You're welcome
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah didn't see this sticky, sorry bout the other thread!

It's about a guy who can read peoples minds basically. He meets a few others like him, pretty sure he meets a guy in his flat. He get's a girlfriend, she goes on an acid trip, and he 'trips' too, I'm guessing linked to the mind reading somehow.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make_It)
    Ahhhh this is really bugging me.

I read this book like...3/4 years ago and I really can't remember what it is.

About a 14 or 15 year old girl who gets pregnant.
    Something about working in an old peoples home...maybe her parents owned.
    And something about having a think with linking her little finger with her boyfriends?
    And I think it has the word 'chocolate' in the title.

Any ideas?

The Opposite of Chocolate
    by Julie Bertagna?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ooh another one i thought of id like to read again

it was a girl asbout 15 in ireland who got pregnant.. think she was catholic? and she was sent to a boarding school or something similiar until she had the kid and then it was going to be given up for adoption, she tried to not let them but didnt have any choice until her estranged parents saved the day for her..? think she called her baby holly if that helps at all

edit... actually i think its the one above..? anyone confirm?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate0904)
    so annoying! I'm trying to remember the name of a book.
    about 10 yrs ago, i read the first few pages in a little compilation book (for some charity day) that advertised things that were coming out soon.
    anyway, the book itself is kind of like a dictionary - i can remember one of the definitions from it though
    abominable: a piece of explosive swallowed by a male cow
    the idea of it is very similar to 'the uxbrudge english dictionary' but i know it's not that, because i own it!
    any ideas?
    Might it be 'The Devil's Dictionary' by Ambrose Bierce?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milady de Winter)
    Might it be 'The Devil's Dictionary' by Ambrose Bierce?
    I don't think so - have had a look and it's similar but the one i'm thinking of was a children's book i think.
    Thanks for the suggestion though!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ooh another one i thought of id like to read again

it was a girl asbout 15 in ireland who got pregnant.. think she was catholic? and she was sent to a boarding school or something similiar until she had the kid and then it was going to be given up for adoption, she tried to not let them but didnt have any choice until her estranged parents saved the day for her..? think she called her baby holly if that helps at all

edit... actually i think its the one above..? anyone confirm?
    I think it sounds like Fallen Star by Joan O'Neill... that has the Irish connection anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallen-Star-...0656288&sr=1-6
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh yes its that one, thank youu
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I really really want to read this book. The problem is, I just do not remember what it's called.

I remember that it's a split focus story, and that it centers around a guy who's in prison (possibly for paedophila, I think?) who gets obsessed with a girl that starts writing to him.

That's all I remember of the plot

The only other things that I remember about it are that there has been a film made of it, and that the film has an advert on the DVD of a stupid film called "The Gingerdead Man".

Ringing any bells with anyone? I'd really like to read it!

Thankyou
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I really really want to read this book. The problem is, I just do not remember what it's called.

I remember that it's a split focus story, and that it centers around a guy who's in prison (possibly for paedophila, I think?) who gets obsessed with a girl that starts writing to him.

The only other things that I remember about it are that there has been a film made of it, and that the film has an advert on the DVD of a stupid film called "The Gingerdead Man".

Thankyou
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice)

Thankyou
    Can you remember the names of any characters? Or actors in the film? I've tried googling the words "prison" and "pen pals" but it wasn't much luck. I found out when The Gingerdead Man was released (2005) so I think that the film was probably out in 2004/5/6. Any idea of a title at all? I'll keep looking and posting if I find anything. Even a name of a character or the prison could help.

Edit: I found this list on Wiki, any of them ring a bell?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbandtr4eva)
    Can you remember the names of any characters? Or actors in the film? I've tried googling the words "prison" and "pen pals" but it wasn't much luck. I found out when The Gingerdead Man was released (2005) so I think that the film was probably out in 2004/5/6. Any idea of a title at all? I'll keep looking and posting if I find anything. Even a name of a character or the prison could help.
    Ahh thanks for looking!

I literally can't remember ANYTHING else

I thought that it might be called a "A Town Like Alice" but it's not.
    I know it was a title of about that length though, and that it's quite a well known title. Well, I think it was anyway, because I'd heard of the book before I Amazon'd it. If I can think of anything else, I'll tell you

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.