Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The "What Book Is This?" Thread

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a short story about this girl who gets given a magic ring by a magic shopowner. This ring allows her to hear the real thoughts of anyone she is talking to. The girl's name is Kate. However the ring makes her find out that her friends and family all secretly don't like her: her mother even quotes "what a pity her fingers are so fat" when outwardly saying what a nice ring her daughter has on. In the end Kate goes mad after hearing all the negativity she is hearing being said about her and tries to remove the ring but it won't come off. She tries to cut the ring off using a knife, then her POV is cut off and we later find out that she died. Her mum is looking at her in her coffin, thinking that Kate has committed suicide and then notices that the ring is missing.
    The story then moves on to another couple, where the fiancee is happy that she is marrying a rich man but unbeknownst to her, her fiance is planning to kill her to get her inheritance money because he is not actually as rich as she thinks. The mysterious shop and shopowner appears, and the fiancee pulls her fiance to the shop to buy her a ring she sees in the shop window....

I don't remember the name of the title, can anyone help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I've read that! I'm going to look fo rit now
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need identification for a short story about a man who repeatedly goes to job interviews and gets turns down, not realising that the same grey man is on the panel for each of them. Eventually he realises it's one big conspiracy theory and finally kills him before taking his place. Any ideas?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Argh, this is driving me insane!

I read a book about 5 years ago now. It was really good, absolutly gripping. I remember sitting in Tescos car park reading it because I didn't want to put it down. Now I want to re-read it (it was leant to me by a friend so I can't just pick it up off the shelf) and I can't remember the name or author of it... :o:

What I can remember...
    • The main character was called something like Corey or Seth or something... An American kind of name.
    • The main plot was that his Dad was a drug dealer. The bit I can remember most vividly is the beginning - he's only 13/14 and walks in on his Dad cutting drugs on the table, something happens and his Dad gets shot by some guys, then something else happens. Somehow, along the way, the MC gets arrested or put in care.
    • The main bulk of the story is about him inside prison, he gets into a lot of fights and puts a couple of guys into the hospital wing, getting seriously injured himself at some point. He also studies a lot (something like Law?) and has to do the dishes :p:
    • I can't remember how it ends but he gets out of prison and it's a relatively happy ending, but an open one as well.

That's pretty much all I can remember, any help?
    ok this really is frustrating someone told me about a book that sounds like this a few weeks ago but i didnt make note of it !
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make_It)
    Ahhhh this is really bugging me.

I read this book like...3/4 years ago and I really can't remember what it is.

About a 14 or 15 year old girl who gets pregnant.
    Something about working in an old peoples home...maybe her parents owned.
    And something about having a think with linking her little finger with her boyfriends?
    And I think it has the word 'chocolate' in the title.

Any ideas?
    the only book i can think of with chocolote in the title is 'blood chocolate'
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate0904)
    so annoying! I'm trying to remember the name of a book.
    about 10 yrs ago, i read the first few pages in a little compilation book (for some charity day) that advertised things that were coming out soon.
    anyway, the book itself is kind of like a dictionary - i can remember one of the definitions from it though
    abominable: a piece of explosive swallowed by a male cow
    the idea of it is very similar to 'the uxbrudge english dictionary' but i know it's not that, because i own it!
    any ideas?
    i found it :party:
    i googled the definition i could remember (why didn't i think of that before :rolleyes:) and it turns out it's called 'Professor Branestawm's Dictionary
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate0904)
    i found it :party:
    i googled the definition i could remember (why didn't i think of that before :rolleyes:) and it turns out it's called 'Professor Branestawm's Dictionary
    Or the meaning of Lif?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amani-puresapphire)
    ok this really is frustrating someone told me about a book that sounds like this a few weeks ago but i didnt make note of it !
    I will love you FOREVER if you can remember it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember a book/books about (I can't remember the exact name) someone called Professor Globule or Particle, or something like that?
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bright-eyes)
    There's a short story about this girl who gets given a magic ring by a magic shopowner. This ring allows her to hear the real thoughts of anyone she is talking to. The girl's name is Kate. However the ring makes her find out that her friends and family all secretly don't like her: her mother even quotes "what a pity her fingers are so fat" when outwardly saying what a nice ring her daughter has on. In the end Kate goes mad after hearing all the negativity she is hearing being said about her and tries to remove the ring but it won't come off. She tries to cut the ring off using a knife, then her POV is cut off and we later find out that she died. Her mum is looking at her in her coffin, thinking that Kate has committed suicide and then notices that the ring is missing.
    The story then moves on to another couple, where the fiancee is happy that she is marrying a rich man but unbeknownst to her, her fiance is planning to kill her to get her inheritance money because he is not actually as rich as she thinks. The mysterious shop and shopowner appears, and the fiancee pulls her fiance to the shop to buy her a ring she sees in the shop window....

I don't remember the name of the title, can anyone help?
    I read that! I think it was Anthony Horrowitz, 13 more horror stories or something. I'm not 100% sure though. Is it the one that also had a moaning rich girl being put in a pot of boiling water by a sushi chef type person? I know the book you mean! It's so frustrating lol.

I kind of need help too! It's a book about a boy who moves somewhere new and sees this girl who is a complete outcast and wears homemade clothes and lives at the outskirts of town. She's kind of a witch or something and they get talking and after that I forget what happens. I know I'm being vague but I read it years ago. I remember there being sparks and lightening if that helps lol.

If anyone can help me from my crappy details, I'll be very happy!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    I kind of need help too! It's a book about a boy who moves somewhere new and sees this girl who is a complete outcast and wears homemade clothes and lives at the outskirts of town. She's kind of a witch or something and they get talking and after that I forget what happens. I know I'm being vague but I read it years ago. I remember there being sparks and lightening if that helps lol.

Sounds faintly familiar - could it have been Old Magic, by any chance?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will love you FOREVER if you can remember it.
    ill try if i can remember the person that told me about it ill ask them
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Sounds faintly familiar - could it have been Old Magic, by any chance?
    I think that's it!!! You're a genius! Thank you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    I read that! I think it was Anthony Horrowitz, 13 more horror stories or something. I'm not 100% sure though. Is it the one that also had a moaning rich girl being put in a pot of boiling water by a sushi chef type person? I know the book you mean! It's so frustrating lol.

Wait is that a children's book and did the outcast girl have stringy dark hair , because I think I remember that book. I think the girl turns out to actually be a witch though, the books called The (something's) Daughter?

EDIT: Ooh just saw HobNob's answered the question. Please ignore then. :p:
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bright-eyes)
    Wait is that a children's book and did the outcast girl have stringy dark hair , because I think I remember that book. I think the girl turns out to actually be a witch though, the books called The (something's) Daughter?

EDIT: Ooh just saw HobNob's answered the question. Please ignore then. :p:
    Thanks anyway!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make_It)
    Ahhhh this is really bugging me.

I read this book like...3/4 years ago and I really can't remember what it is.

About a 14 or 15 year old girl who gets pregnant.
    Something about working in an old peoples home...maybe her parents owned.
    And something about having a think with linking her little finger with her boyfriends?
    And I think it has the word 'chocolate' in the title.

Any ideas?
    Maybe this has been solved, but anyway. The opposite of chocolate by Julie Bertagna.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    A repost, I desperately need to know this for my own enjoyment.
    (Original post by LawBore)
    I need identification for a short story about a man who repeatedly goes to job interviews and gets turns down, not realising that the same grey man is on the panel for each of them. Eventually he realises it's one big conspiracy theory and finally kills him before taking his place. Any ideas?
    I think it may have had 'golden' in the title...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    A repost, I desperately need to know this for my own enjoyment.

I think it may have had 'golden' in the title...
    Sounds very interesting... *subscribes*
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amani-puresapphire)
    ill try if i can remember the person that told me about it ill ask them
    Sorry to bug you, but have you remembered who told you about it yet?:redface:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bug you, but have you remembered who told you about it yet?:redface:
    no its fine i havent seen the person in a while they're busy with work and all that but im going to remember when i see them. Sorry about that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2014
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.