The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

people who want to do journalism but don't like literature: what the hell is wrong with you?
willenium
people who want to do journalism but don't like literature: what the hell is wrong with you?

I don't mind language; I personally think it's because the way we are taught in Literature; the teachers horrible and I know absolutly no one (i moved to this new sixth form inyear 12).. It's just a suckish lesson I guess.
Satisified? Rather nosey?
Reply 62
Poeams are my least favourite part of the course too - but as long as you can perfect your exam technique, they're easy to get top marks in.

I enjoyed my spec last year with Shaespeare (Othello), Spies, Chaucer (decent poetry) and Miller.
srwences
Poeams are my least favourite part of the course too - but as long as you can perfect your exam technique, they're easy to get top marks in.

I enjoyed my spec last year with Shaespeare (Othello), Spies, Chaucer (decent poetry) and Miller.

Hey! Im struggling with Chaucer; did you do the WJEC exam board? How did you cope with Chaucer?
**CutiePie**

Satisified?

not really! i'm sure you could think of a better reason than that
If you do Larkin's poems they're funny. Especially if you have a very prim teacher.
willenium

Wow, I love your sig! :thumbsup:
willenium
not really! i'm sure you could think of a better reason than that

If you knew the tue circumstances and reasons then yeah it would be bette but you wont find out so w/e.. my problem.
Reply 68
Haha its crap isn't it. I took it combined with Lang. Lang is better but is still boring as. (despite a nice and good teacher). Anyway i'm dropping it first thing on Monday i've decided now and taking Business Studies instead i think :biggrin:
willenium

I think a better subject to do for journalism is English Language which I think is a lot different... could be wrong though.
Reply 70
**CutiePie**
Hey! Im struggling with Chaucer; did you do the WJEC exam board? How did you cope with Chaucer?

No...I did AQA I think.

Actually, all of our year's papers are being re-marked for this right now because of suspiciously low marks.

On our nboard though, our teacher guided us towards doing the "extract/context" question where it basically gives you an extract from one section of the poem and asks you what its importance is in the context of the poem as a whole.

It was very simple - as all you have to do is pick out all the key themes etc. from that extract and then relate them back or forward to similar instances in the rest of the tale.
srwences
No...I did AQA I think.

Actually, all of our year's papers are being re-marked for this right now because of suspiciously low marks.

On our nboard though, our teacher guided us towards doing the "extract/context" question where it basically gives you an extract from one section of the poem and asks you what its importance is in the context of the poem as a whole.

It was very simple - as all you have to do is pick out all the key themes etc. from that extract and then relate them back or forward to similar instances in the rest of the tale.

Thanks.. That happened to one of our Englishes this year too but with the previous year and the teachers are asking for a recall..

mmm, I just hate its all in a different language and so bloody hard to read.
Im really liking english lit tbh, although I did fall asleep in yesterdays lesson, already haha. But I really like exploring literature.
I loved Literature! :love: I think you need to give it a chance. Nothing is easy at first but once you get deeper into the course you'll acquire the skills that will help you understand and be able to analyse the texts. Just give it a try. And don't forget to speak to your teacher and let them know how you feel etc..
JocastaJackal
I think a better subject to do for journalism is English Language which I think is a lot different... could be wrong though.

Thank-you! Thats what I got told my the uni's I emailed; they said theyre not bothered about English lit.
**CutiePie**
Thank-you! Thats what I got told my the uni's I emailed; they said theyre not bothered about English lit.

English Lit has a huge historical/contextual element which isn't as important in a journalism career. I personally picked English Language at uni as I think it will teach me more practical skills (in relation to careers) yet still remains open ended in comparison to a Journalism degree.
i wasn't discounting language or anything, but i don't get how you could conceivably want to base a career on the written word when you don't enjoy studying some of the most important and beautiful writing in the language

although i suppose not everyone likes learning for learning's sake
willenium
i wasn't discounting language or anything, but i don't get how you could conceivably want to base a career on the written word when you don't enjoy studying some of the most important and beautiful writing in the language

True... however some English Lit courses study some texts that could easily put you off to be fair.
JocastaJackal
English Lit has a huge historical/contextual element which isn't as important in a journalism career. I personally picked English Language at uni as I think it will teach me more practical skills (in relation to careers) yet still remains open ended in comparison to a Journalism degree.

Yeah. I just dont really understan how Lit can help properly, because its lang that you study in dept and have all the grammitical terms etc.
If you dont mind me asking; where do you study?
**CutiePie**
Yeah. I just dont really understan how Lit can help properly, because its lang that you study in dept and have all the grammitical terms etc.
If you dont mind me asking; where do you study?

I think Lit can give you good writing and analytical skills, but in a more indirect way for the former than Language would...

I'm going to Cardiff Uni next week here. Where were you looking at going?

Latest