Visit website

Scroll to see replies

notingham is the best... i cant wait to start there.. its going to be fabbb
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
M@255
I completely agree with you. It is indeed very sad that people applied to Nottingham without knowing of the change in offer. I applied to Manchester fully unaware that they wanted AAA (i checked UCAS website and prospectus before I applied and it said AAB). :frown:

I only knew the offer had gone up becuase I went to an Open Day in MAy and they told us that the standard offer was being put up becuase of demand for the course. I've talked to quite a few other people in an awkward situation becuase of it - they've applied to a couple of places that said AAB like Manchester or Nottingham but have actually put their offers up, and whilst they've got several offers, none of them are currently under AAA. I was worried that would happen to me at one point but luckily I managed to get away with it by impressing UEA. It's all bad :frown:
Leifde
ohh crap!!! i applied online, but i didn't specify LLB or BA!!! does this mean we won't get places on the LLB course? nooooo

can someone please clarify tomcoolinguk and my dilema

how can u not specify? didnt u research b4 u applied.. geez
Lillith Grimore
Hold on a minute, isn't that being a bit unfair? I'm sure if I said to you (which I wouldn't, cos it's not true) that I had no sympathy for anyone who didn't get an Oxbridge offer becuase everyone's predicted AAA and it's an exceptional university blah blah blah then I would be completely lynched. Or ostracised or something. I think it's especially sad when some people applied without knowing of the change in offer because of Nottingham's late call. CAn we maybe have a tiny bit of understanding here? Aren't lawyers suppose to be compassionate and stuff? (especially if you want to change the views of certain miscreants hanging around the law forum who think we're only in it for the money...)

To be honest, as your father is your head of Sixth Form, you probably have a well run and professionally organised school. Compare with mine where people are predicted A grades, having been on consistent D/C grades throughout AS. They are then getting AAA offers, and to be honest- I am fed up of hearing them bleat on. [Especially when- e.g. in the case of Durham Law- I know literally scores of people who would have little problem getting the grades] Having said that, I do now know someone who despite an ABB prediction has been given an AAA offer from Notts which I think it despicably unfair, as she is now under so much pressure.
M@255
So will UEA be your insurance?

Indeed it will. Has to be really. Though to be completely honest, I will be absolutely gutted if I get anything less than AAA so I'm hoping I don't have to use it.
tomcoolinguk
To be honest, as your father is your head of Sixth Form, you probably have a well run and professionally organised school. Compare with mine where people are predicted A grades, having been on consistent D/C grades throughout AS. They are then getting AAA offers, and to be honest- I am fed up of hearing them bleat on. [Especially when- e.g. in the case of Durham Law- I know literally scores of people who would have little problem getting the grades] Having said that, I do now know someone who despite an ABB prediction has been given an AAA offer from Notts which I think it despicably unfair, as she is now under so much pressure.

Mostly, yes, It's a really good set up. However, if these people have been getting Ds and Cs, surely there's little likelyhood of them actually attaining the AAA they actually need. WHich means they won't get in. It's pointless to bum up your preictions if your not going to achieve them, as justice if nothing if not poetical and elegant (in cases like this. Mostly, it sucks) And whilst I agree that an AAA offer for someone predicted ABB puts them in an incredibly pressured situation, if she didn't want to be in that situation, she didn't have to apply there. She also doesn't have to accpet the offer if there's no realistic chance of her achieveing the grades.
Lillith Grimore
Aren't lawyers suppose to be compassionate and stuff?

No. They're supposed to be cold bastards. :wink:
Lillith Grimore
Mostly, yes, It's a really good set up. However, if these people have been getting Ds and Cs, surely there's little likelyhood of them actually attaining the AAA they actually need. WHich means they won't get in. It's pointless to bum up your preictions if your not going to achieve them, as justice if nothing if not poetical and elegant (in cases like this. Mostly, it sucks) And whilst I agree that an AAA offer for someone predicted ABB puts them in an incredibly pressured situation, if she didn't want to be in that situation, she didn't have to apply there. She also doesn't have to accpet the offer if there's no realistic chance of her achieveing the grades.

Weren't you just asking me to show compassion to people wanting lower offers from Notts?
No I was asking you to either understand or not complain about it if you didn't feel that was possible. I *understand* this must be difficult for your friend. I feel sad for her situation, as it's one a couple of my friends aren't exactly unfamiliar with. But it's slightly different (I think anyway) - some people, who will probably get AAA, applied to Nottingham hoping for AAB so they could use it as an insurance, but they didn't know the grades had gone up. Even if she didn't know the grades had gone up, your friend still applied to somewhere with grades higher than her predictions and thus placed herself in a pressured situation. I hope she either gets another offer she likes but will be able to get more easily, or is able to get the AAA she needs. :smile:
M@255
I'm starting to regret not applying to UEA! I wish I could go to St Catz in October! Not fair! I still maintain that Mark Elliott hated me in interview - but I will just have to go elsewhere. KCL here I come! (pending an offer, lol).

I will also be gutted with less than AAA, although I'm not going to need more than AAB.

Good luck! One of my friends didn't get into Queens and is either going to KCL or Durham (again, pending an offer, though he's got one from KCL)

I wish you were going to Catz too, you seem like a nice sort of chap (and you have the same name as my horse, which is always good news) I'm trying to find other Catz law people so it's not so scary in October, but I've only found one so far :frown:
Lillith Grimore
No I was asking you to either understand or not complain about it if you didn't feel that was possible. I *understand* this must be difficult for your friend. I feel sad for her situation, as it's one a couple of my friends aren't exactly unfamiliar with. But it's slightly different (I think anyway) - some people, who will probably get AAA, applied to Nottingham hoping for AAB so they could use it as an insurance, but they didn't know the grades had gone up. Even if she didn't know the grades had gone up, your friend still applied to somewhere with grades higher than her predictions and thus placed herself in a pressured situation. I hope she either gets another offer she likes but will be able to get more easily, or is able to get the AAA she needs. :smile:

Lol it's ok... I just find it humourous- when after Manchester and Sheffield made AAA offers, people were shocked at getting AAA from Notts. I guess it proves that people do believe what they want to!
tomcoolinguk
Lol it's ok... I just find it humourous- when after Manchester and Sheffield made AAA offers, people were shocked at getting AAA from Notts. I guess it proves that people do believe what they want to!

I s'pose. Though I've always thought of Manchester as better than Nottingham. Though maybe that's becuase I don't really want to go to Nottingham, whereas I'd quite like to go to Manchester :smile:
Lillith Grimore
I s'pose. Though I've always thought of Manchester as better than Nottingham. Though maybe that's becuase I don't really want to go to Nottingham, whereas I'd quite like to go to Manchester :smile:

Yeah- Notts is considerably more respected than Manchester for Law.
tomcoolinguk
Yeah- Notts is considerably more respected than Manchester for Law.

Not what I've heard at all. Nottingham is harder to gte into becuase it gets more applications, but most people I've spoken to (lawyers, others in the profession, my dad etc) rated Manchester above Nottingham for law. But I suppose what's 'respected' about a place is all subjective to the person who's asessing it. So maybe we'll just agree to disagree.
Lillith Grimore
Not what I've heard at all. Nottingham is harder to gte into becuase it gets more applications, but most people I've spoken to (lawyers, others in the profession, my dad etc) rated Manchester above Nottingham for law. But I suppose what's 'respected' about a place is all subjective to the person who's asessing it. So maybe we'll just agree to disagree.

I think it depends where you want to go... figures from say the top 10-15 firsm would suggest that Notts graduates are considerably more successful in getting training contracts at the top tier of law firms.
tomcoolinguk
I think it depends where you want to go... figures from say the top 10-15 firsm would suggest that Notts graduates are considerably more successful in getting training contracts at the top tier of law firms.

there are so many other factors aswell
The Messiah
there are so many other factors aswell

hence the foreclause 'it depends where you want to go'
Reply 57
got an offer from nottingham. AAA. 12 posts so expect to be ignored, but still. Go me.
M@255
I think this bickering about what law schools lead to better jobs etc should just stop because its pointless! Who cares anyway?!?! You people haven't even started your law degrees yet.

thank you.. finally some rational reasoning on this forum
Reply 59
But don't you think it does matter, since part of one's decision to choose a particular university would hinge upon whether the degree from that university will lead to a better career or not? At least in my case, I chose Nottingham over Manchester even though I got unconditionals for both since I was told by all the lawyers I've asked that Nottingham is a significantly better university than Manchester for Law especially. But then again, that's my opinion and choice, and you're all entitled to ur own...

Latest

Trending

Trending