The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
3996 characters :smile:
Reply 41
mine's only 2029 so far :|; I'm so boring lol
deazle
i think you mean words...?
If not, check UCAS - you're allowed 4000 characters, which is 660 ish words without paragraphing.

whoops no missed a 0. I meant 10,000 characters. It was like two times bigger than the maximum, plus a little bit more.
Reply 43
10,000 characters! lmao! hope you sort that out - a hint is:
don't include too much about your subjects, they know you took them!
Don't pointlessly name drop
Don't use huge quotes or over long paragraphs about how amazingly D of E has enhanced your life, etc
also - cut out paragraphing. it doesnt really matter. as long as its structured and written well, its the content that you will be judged on :smile:
deazle
doesnt meean everyones lives can be summed up in 3591 words!

You may be missing the point of a personal statement. It is not meant to sum up your life. It is intended as way for you to tell the admissions tutor something about yourself in order to convince him/her to give you an offer. If you stray off your interest in the subject you intend to study, your academic credentials to do so, any relevant extracurricular activities, the skills and abilities these have given you, and a little on your non-relevant ECs, you are not doing your job properly.

You should treat this as an entrance test in which the ability to discriminate what is essential and what adds value, together with the ability to communicate, are paramount.
I would argue that paragraphing is integral to a good structure...
deazle

also - cut out paragraphing. it doesnt really matter. as long as its structured and written well, its the content that you will be judged on :smile:

And don't follow this advice. Do signal your paragraphs properly with blank lines.
Reply 47
Good bloke
You may be missing the point of a personal statement. It is not meant to sum up your life. It is intended as way for you to tell the admissions tutor something about yourself in order to convince him/her to give you an offer. If you stray off your interest in the subject you intend to study, your academic credentials to do so, any relevant extracurricular activities, the skills and abilities these have given you, and a little on your non-relevant ECs, you are not doing your job properly.

You should treat this as an entrance test in which the ability to discriminate what is essential and what adds value, together with the ability to communicate, are paramount.

It was a quicker way of saying what you said- of course i get the point :yep:

Also, as you're here - surely writing about huge unrelated achievements (if you have any, that is) can work in your favour? It separates you from the crowd, and shows you arent just writing typicaly: "what they want to hear"
47 lines and I think 3997 characters (Ucas won't tell me anymore unless I go over) and it's finally finished.

I'm applying for a joint honours which is one of the reasons mine ended up being so long because I needed to write about both as well as getting everything else in.

Each time I drafted it, it was initially a little long but I was able to cut it down quite easily.

I didn't leave blank lines between my paragraphs - i would have had to cut out loads in order to do that.
21 lines atm :smile:
deazle

Also, as you're here - surely writing about huge unrelated achievements (if you have any, that is) can work in your favour? It separates you from the crowd, and shows you arent just writing typicaly: "what they want to hear"

Why would wasting space (in a PS for an engineering course at a top university) on a description of how you won the local swimming gala help you?

You might well stand out, but not in the way you seem to expect.
deazle

Unrelated events are just that. Unrelated. Unless you can relate them to your subject then in my opinion they're not worth putting in.
Meteorshower
I would argue that paragraphing is integral to a good structure...

Meteorshower
Unrelated events are just that. Unrelated. Unless you can relate them to your subject then in my opinion they're not worth putting in

And I would agree, with both points.
Reply 53
Good bloke
Why would wasting space (in a PS for an engineering course at a top university) on a description of how you won the local swimming gala help you?

You might well stand out, but not in the way you seem to expect.

i didn't mean winning the local swimming gala - i meant representing the country and winning national awards.. don't tell me they don't count for something.
Reply 54
9 inches
deazle
i didn't mean winning the local swimming gala - i meant representing the country and winning national awards.. don't tell me they don't count for something.

I've put something like that in and said it was good because it shows my dedication to whatever i put my mind to and along with a bunch of other things that It shows good time management. Unless you've said why it should benefit your application then I don't see why it should count for something.
Reply 56
WOW the number of characters you've got are enough if you got all your info, i had to start mine with 6000 characters, but then managed to decrease it to 3994...

Latest

Trending

Trending