The Student Room Group
There are no reliable tests for esters.. but that doesn't mean that a negative result for any other test necessarily leads you to an ester.
Reply 2
I assume you have a list of all possible compound types that it could be?

As esters would be the most difficult to test for it is better to eliminate all of the others and use the fact that it isnt any of the others to show that it is the ester. This wouldnt work in real life identifications but should be fine in the context of this experiment. It was for me when I did this as coursework.

If you have eliminated all of the other compounds then there are a couple of tests which you could use to indicate that an ester is present. However this would only confirm that its an ester when all other compounds are eliminated.
Hint: Think of how you make an ester.
Reply 3
Dstbgre
I assume you have a list of all possible compound types that it could be?

As esters would be the most difficult to test for it is better to eliminate all of the others and use the fact that it isnt any of the others to show that it is the ester. This wouldnt work in real life identifications but should be fine in the context of this experiment. It was for me when I did this as coursework.

If you have eliminated all of the other compounds then there are a couple of tests which you could use to indicate that an ester is present. However this would only confirm that its an ester when all other compounds are eliminated.
Hint: Think of how you make an ester.

Right ok, I think that's the best thing to do (to eliminate). yeah, i do have a list, it could be either: an alkene, aldehyde, ketone, carboxylic acid, ester, primary alcohol, tertiary alcohol or phenol . So i think i'll separate the OH group compounds from the non-OH compounds (using PCl5?) and work from those two branches.

thanks. :smile:

Latest